• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Don't open multiple projects at once: Premiere 2018

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated Premiere and I'm seeing a feature that I really disliked about FCP - the fact that you open multiple projects at the same time.  I do find this occasionally useful, but not on a daily basis and really it ends up being more confusing and I can't always tell when I've completely closed an old project unless I quit and restart Premiere.

Is there a setting so that I only open one project at a time like the way it used to be?

The way it used to be was perfect for me, but now it would require multiple steps to either start a new project or open a different project if I already have one open.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

There is no way to turn off multiple open Projects in 12.0. This was heavily requested feature.

You can go to the Window menu > Projects to note what Projects are currently open. You can also go to the File menu > Close All Projects (to close all Projects) and then choose the single Project that you would like to only have open.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 113 Replies 113
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to turn off multiple open Projects in 12.0. This was heavily requested feature.

You can go to the Window menu > Projects to note what Projects are currently open. You can also go to the File menu > Close All Projects (to close all Projects) and then choose the single Project that you would like to only have open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really confusing, I just erased an entire timeline because I thought there was some duplication going on. Really bad news

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, when you give focus to the Timeline panel and select a Sequence tab, it will update the Project path listed in the application bar (at very top of application, just below menus on Mac and above menus on Windows). This allows you to always see which Project each Sequence belongs to. This also updates when you give focus to the Project panel and select the Project tabs.

Example Windows screenshot of Sequence selected from Project Two, with Timeline panel in focus (if Project panel had focus, then Project One path would be displayed since the Project One tab is selected).

TimelineFocusProjectPath.png

That said, suggestions on improvements are always welcome. Wishform - Adobe Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That make sense however for me it's saying my timeline is the previous project I had opened which is so confusing. I have no idea what to save, or what project I'm in....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing how Adobe could get this so wrong.

Or is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is [amazing], but not in the sense you mean.

I find the current implementation very workable and a welcome addition to the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you aren't quoting me, or at least not directly. Never did I say this "feature" was unwelcome, it is a solid addition. What I DID say it was poorly implemented, and it is. It does not matter if it as simple as 3 clicks or whole series of new steps, the fact is a core procedure has changed.

Not only have I used Adobes products for over a cats age, I also A/Beta a far more robust, widely diverse user base, and far more expensive 3d package. If Dev ever implemented a workflow change like this, no matter how small, without implementing a user accessible switch, the pitch forks would come out, and they know it. You just don't do it without forethought to the user groups large and small.

Majority has always been the rule with adobe and that is why major production shops choose other tools or develop their own, leaving small groups and freelancers to fend for themselves with this all consuming juggernaut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I DID say it was poorly implemented

And I disagreed.  I think it works quite well as is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity Jim, do you not have the duplicate clips and/or weird bin structure problems when moving from one project to another or have you figured out a solve for that?

That's really my holdback with it as it tends to create a mess in my projects.

(Well, that and I really wish I could figure out how to make the window of a new project open when I'd like it to.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed you did and I disagreed with your assessment

Because why wouldn’t you just create new command, since in essence that is what just happened anyway, like “open another” or something witty, instead of changing how something has worked for the last decade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your opinion on this and Jim's highlight something that is such a joy for software engineers ... with any program as complex and used for as many different purposes as PrPro, in the widely varied manner each of us uses it in ... the opinions as to what's good and "forward" motion in the program are as diverse as the users.

Anything you do that may delight some segment of the base may very well piss off another group.

In a couple threads concerning the multiple-projects feature, a toggle 'switch' to turn this feature on/off has been suggested, and I think would be a good thing. As Jim, I've found it very useful and easy to use. But others have messed up large projects before they realized what had happened.

A simple switch would make for peace in the "house", it would seem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple "File>Close Project" is the easiest solution here, and one we can already implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input. This has nothing to do with the easiest solution, it has everything to do with implementing tools and features better, more thoughtfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I find that having multiple projects open can be helpful to some degree, it would be nice if Adobe could fix some major bugs ASAP. I run on two monitors & my workspace is normally the Program screen on the Right & everything else left on the Left.  However, when I open a second project, my workspace completely changes. The right monitor becomes layered with the second project on top of the Program screen with nothing changing on the Left. When I go to change the workspace my custom layout is already selected, meaning I have to drag the project over my first project, which is very frustrating giving me only one option, to Quit everything and start all over again. If I want to open another project, how can I tell Premiere to open in the same exact workspace? I run on Windows 10. Currently I do not find this feature helpful & it would be great to have the option to turn this feature off and back the way it used to be.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do, is save TWO identical copies of the same workspace. That way, if one of them is "already in use," you can always select the other one. Just be use that your changes to the workspace(s) are not automatically saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds strange, and yea, would be really annoying. I've got multiple workspaces with my two monitors, some using Mercury Playback on the second monitor, some putting a second window of UI stuff on the second monitor.

And when I open another project, all that happens is I get a new tab appearing on the far left of my Project panel area in the lower left of most of my workspaces. Much of the time, it's not even visible because maybe only 3 tabs are showing in the narrow pane there.

What's your OS?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate this feature too... I'm submitting a feature request to add the ability to turn off this feature. I'd rather not turn a one step process into a 2 step process in order to be sure not to mess up a project.

I get that the feature of having multiple projects open was heavily requested on the support forum. But I wish you would have given us the option instead of just changing it for everyone.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Seeing as the feature was apparently heavily requested, maybe if we heavily request to have the option to turn it off we'll get that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably a cool feature when it's been part of a workflow forever. But requesting a feature doesn't automatically make something a needed or required feature. There's always a very large majority of users that aren't requesting something...that don't have a problem with the way that it worked. It does create headaches when you work on a lot of large, complex projects. In this case, the best UI design would allow this option to be turned on or off, satisfying those requesting the feature, and making those not requesting it, happy. So perhaps you can log the request to turn this on or off as a much requested feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to turn it off is going to be a more requested feature.  Should just build it that way as it should seem pretty obvious and shouldn't be that difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obvious to us, of course. 😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, there should be an option to turn it off. Those who like it keep it. Those who don't, turn it off. Simple.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even simpler.

Close Project.

Open Project.

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good but what happens when you have multiple projects opened and you decide to import a file in wich of the projects will it end up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whichever project is currently "active." Generally, that means whichever project contains the sequence you're working in. At the top of Premiere's window it will show the file path and name of the active project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines