• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Don't open multiple projects at once: Premiere 2018

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated Premiere and I'm seeing a feature that I really disliked about FCP - the fact that you open multiple projects at the same time.  I do find this occasionally useful, but not on a daily basis and really it ends up being more confusing and I can't always tell when I've completely closed an old project unless I quit and restart Premiere.

Is there a setting so that I only open one project at a time like the way it used to be?

The way it used to be was perfect for me, but now it would require multiple steps to either start a new project or open a different project if I already have one open.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

There is no way to turn off multiple open Projects in 12.0. This was heavily requested feature.

You can go to the Window menu > Projects to note what Projects are currently open. You can also go to the File menu > Close All Projects (to close all Projects) and then choose the single Project that you would like to only have open.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 113 Replies 113
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This new feature is terrible. I have been searching for a way to turn this off and ran into this post. ADOBE - Please make this open multiple projects feature a feature that you can turn on and off via a preference toggle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the idea of having more than one project open, and I just opened two projects for the first time.  However, I can't figure out what I'm looking at.  One thing I have seen so far, is that PrePro has created numerous new folders in my project #1.  I guess they have come from project #2.  It is going to take a lot of work to figure out the logic here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worst feature ever! Please get rid of this!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woooooow,

Just updated to 2018.0.1, (from 2017.1.2) in the hopes that they would have fixed this.

This feature really is as bad as everyone's been saying.

It'd be a great feature... if it was OPTIONAL. And if it was very easy to tell which project you are "in" at any given moment. Otherwise, yeah, different projects can get mixed together VERY easily. Chaos.

Fortunately, there is a fix. Even though adobe never told us about it, and actively discourage us to use it:

Re: Don't open multiple projects at once: Premiere 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did some more work with two projects open today.   It is chaos.   It created six folders with the same name.  I'm trying to understand the logic, but I'm also about to give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never had this issue before, now my update to 2018 is doing this. It sucks. Been doing one thing for years and now have this issue and have to change the way I work. Why is Adobe not listening to it's users. Is our money not as good as the small percentage of the people that find this helpful? What a let down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a real dumb feature to be forced into using. At least give us the option to opt out. So many times we go between projects that aren't related and we don't want both running in the background or cluttering up the workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least give us the option to opt out.

You have that.  You've never lost it.

File>Close Project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, you're really not helping things with a response like that.

You're revealing that you fundamentally do not understand why this feature, implemented in this way, is so very problematic for so many people.

We've got a whole thread full of people trying to explain why they find this incredibly frustrating to deal with, and it feels to me like you're not even trying to understand what they're saying.

File>Close Project is not an adequate solution. It adds one more step to a process that users do many times per day, it's far too easy to forget to do it, it's far too easy to not realize that you have multiple projects open, and double-clicking on a .prproj file in Explorer will still open it as an additional project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guysmilez,

As was mentioned in earlier threads and on Reddit, please file bugs. I already mentioned the specifics as to why.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Im sure this has been filed and its not really a bug. It is just a inconvenient way of implementing a feature that is useful. As i linked the reddit link because some of use use premier professionally and cant wait for the "bug" to be fixed.

Why wouldn't i offer a solution isn't this the whole reason of having a forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a broadcaster and I have to say this is a very frustrating feature to be forced on us. I don't edit programs but I have to open and jump between projects to exports copies. It can become confusing very quickly as to which project I'm in very quickly with lots of project panes and timelines open.

Adobe please introduce a simple on/off button for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when I have 2 projects open, I’ve had problems with timelines mixing up audio from one clip with the same name from another project.   Like the video would be from one project clip and audio from another.   But when I close out completely and only open the one project it’s corrected.    Anyone have the same problem? How to correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds like another terrible bug from Adobe. The fix for me would be to never open 2 projects at once until they make this work for people like us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hay,

have the same problem.

i was saving the wrong project all the time. how do y see which project y are working in ?!?

thankseva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't. That is the problem.

OK, well the only way is to click on one of the elements from that project - the Project panel for example - now you are on that project.  But damn, that is confusing, right? Especially if your project names are fairly similar.

If Adobe wants to keep this feature then they need to 'dim out' the other project elements into the background when you are working on a different project. It makes no sense and should be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed, i made a lot of mistakes because of this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do y see which project y are working in ?!?

In the Window Title, above the menus.  Also gives you the location of the project file on the hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks but how do you toggle between the two projects?

dag, e

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no simple way to switch between projects.

You have to search through your bins, or your opened sequences in the timeline, to find a sequence that corresponds with the project you wish to view.

This can be a real PITA if all your projects have lots of bins (which will all be unceremoniously crammed into one single bin panel), and/or lots of sequences, like mine do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you toggle between the two projects?

Select different Project panels or sequences.  Quite simple, really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple handy things I've found:

1- Keep your projects all docked in the same pane so you can tab between them easily and see which projects you have open. (Yes, it'd be lovely if Premiere would always open the projects in the same pane, but it tends to be forgetful for me.)

2- Set a hot key for 'Reveal Sequence in Project' that way, if you are working in one timeline, you can easily bring the project panel for that timeline into the foreground. Because it can get very confusing having one project panel open while working in the timeline for another project.

If you haven't already voted for this suggestion, I'd recommend doing so, as it would invariably help keep you straight on which project you're working in Color Coded Sequence Tabs – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks,

but where is the pane?

and hot key is short cut?

thsnkeva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not certain about this but are the source files all stuck in one bin or are they in seperate bins for seperate projects?

All I know Is I thought this was a crazy bug.

Basically, you're telling us we have to live with this. That is all good and well but if that feature is going to stay, at least make it so that the source files from different projects don`t get thrown together in one bin or at least  seperate with folders.

Also, I use the Lumetri color, scope and also use the Loudness radar extensively. The problem comes when they don`t stay in a selected position on the screen even after multiple workspace saves. Everytime you switch sequence and that sequences from the same project, those windows jump back to the center of the screen. This is a deal breaker for me and I am sure for many others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The multi-projects open at a time work can be confusing. Some love it, some hate it, and I've known a couple that hated it until suddenly it made sense then loved it.

You need to be in a habit of knowing what the project is listed at the top of the 'main' window, above the menu bar. A flick of the eyes shows in an instant which project you're working. For some, that's annoying as all get out. For others, it's just a thing that they quickly adopt and after adapting, don't even have to remember to flick the eyes up ... they just do.

It seems to be wise to set up the workspace so your project panels are not near each other ... I've seen a couple workspace examples with project files on opposite sides of the screen. If the highlight line is around one ... it's rather obvious which panel is being accessed/used.

If you're working in project 2, and grab an asset from the project 1 to drag to a sequence of project 2, it will add the necessary items of that asset to project 2. Say, drag a nested sequence from project 1 onto a project 2 sequence, everything part of the nested sequence will now be added to project 2.

I typically only have two projects open for short periods of time, just to grab something really. Then close the 'other' project. It's a quick keyboard short to close a project.

There are many who've posted over on the UserVoice system to posit for the ability to lock multiple open projects out, and you're most welcome to search for those over there and add your vote. Would be a good option.

As to Lumetri color, scopes, and loudness radar ... are you using floating windows for those or is it changing your workspaces?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines