Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I dont blame you...

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stevedross  wrote

I guess I'm looking for some finality before I request a refund from my vendor.

I dont blame you... we have been SCREAMING at Adobe on this issue for months now and they are clearly not giving two hoots. Ask for your money back and I would try the free copy of HitMovie because Adobe are ruining stuff and charging more for ruined stuff... Reeks of Apple behavior.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received a call from the tier 2 of the Elements team. He said that there will be

no Dolby support for Elements 2018. They took that out and have no plans on

putting it back in, at least not into Elements 2018 (version 16) unless they get

a lot of complaints about it.

He also that this may be the same for future Elements versions, but wasn't 100% sure.

This may not be an issue for some folks, but when you're a small nonprofit with a great deal

of money in 20 video cameras that only record Dolby, it unfortunately is a big deal for us.

I'm waiting to here from CC 2018's tech group about the future of Dolby.

So there it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do not understand is this: Pr is supposed to be a professional programme. Dolby is a professional/ industry standard for audio in video. So how can they push Pr as a pro NLE with such an important piece missing???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, nobody outside the companies involved really has any idea what happened in this case.

Adobe was a licensee from a third-party (Dolby), who ultimately controls the use of their technology. What took place here with a sudden drop in support was highly exceptional, and so likely not foreseen... In all other cases where the system requirements have changed, Adobe typically publishes widely-available notice well in advance.

By contrast, Adobe having to pull the Dolby codec out of all of their products at the last minute gave the impression of being unexpected.

And nobody inside either company seems able to talk about it, which could well be for legal reasons.

In other words, we can only speculate on what might have happened, or who was behind the way it did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dolby is a professional/ industry standard for audio in video.

As a delivery format, yes.  And you can still deliver Dolby audio, either with plug-ins or separate programs.  We were lucky enough to get free stereo Dolby encoding for a while.  That's now gone and we must once again pay for it.

As a capture format, I would only consider .wav files as "professional".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is precisely what happened. We paid for a product which included a Dolby decoding feature; then that feature was removed without compensation, proper notification, or ethical agreement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We paid for a product which included a Dolby decoding feature

That is still possible and free.  It's simply done differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon    We were lucky enough to get free stereo Dolby encoding for a while.  That's now gone and we must once again pay for it

We have had Stereo Dolby encoding for as long as I can remember, it's 5.1 encoding that you used to have to pay for, and have to now do again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had Stereo Dolby encoding for as long as I can remember, it's 5.1 encoding that you used to have to pay for, and have to now do again.

I haven't seen a complete summary of this. My recollection is that "originally" (before CS6 at some time), the only stereo dolby encoder was Encore, then added in PR. I did not even notice when 5.1 was added. They are both gone now (except "old" Encore).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had Stereo Dolby encoding for as long as I can remember

Encore has always had it.  Premiere Pro added stereo Dolby encoding around 2015 maybe.  Before that, any Dolby encoding from Premiere Pro required a plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS 6 has stereo encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't realize it was that far back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have CS5 and CS5.5 installed. omg. They didn't work for a while when I wanted to check this some time ago... Fresh install of Win10 seems to have them working again.

Both have dolby stereo encoding (in addition to the surcode trial). That takes it back to 2010...

Not that it matters: it hurts to lose something you had at no extra charge, whether it is a return to the more distant past or not. And I believe Adobe has no choice that would  not prompt them to increase prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be interesting to see if any of the other NLE vendors or 'Handbrake' type programs run into the same Dolby licencing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am new to Resolve and don't know it's history, but I can say it doesn't currently offer Dolby encoding.  It does offer Dolby decoding.  It's been suggested that it's handled the same way Adobe does it, via the OS, but I've not seen any direct statement from BMD to that effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines