• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm having a similar problem.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem.  Having come to Premiere from FCPX, I'd recommend to all users, go to FCPX. FCPX is solid as a rock and NONE of these issues are there.  Moreover, EVERYTHING is easier in it.  EVERYTHING!  Premiere CC is a nightmare compared to FCPX.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This software is so expensive for our company - I can´t explain. Crash, crash, crash.

Will never edit with Premiere - it´s all over now ...

Just want to export old projects, but even this is not possible. Grrrrr ...

Unbelievable. We try since 12 hours to export projects on three macs - all of them are crashing.

Our workflow: export projects as XML, open them with FCPX, export, ready. No problems.

Adobe - I will never ever buy any products of your company!

And I want my money back!

I´m the only one?

We talk ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Kevin-Monahan​ might be of assistance ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which is of course exactly why so many FCPX users have migrated to PrPro. Right?

Actually, it's not as simple as you seem to think. Most PrPro users are just firing away. Some are bugged by minor things, and a smaller group are just ground to the ground and nothing seems to work.

For either of those latter two groups, yes, most certainly, checking out FCPX, Avid, or Resolve's NLE capabilities is simply wise and professional.

There are as mentioned, the FCPX users that have come here, or Avid users ... and those that go from here to those. Which is all natural, even if there weren't hardware/software issues affecting some users. Different programs with different feel & tool-sets, naturally different people like one or the other.

It would be d*** nice, of course, if the PrPro team could get the buggy behavior some have under better control ... to put it mildly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually very few FCPX users have migrated to Premiere.  FCP 7 users who never bothered to spend the week to learn X are the ones that have migrated.  Anyone who has spent a week with FCPX would never CHOOSE to go back. The only reason I have (for this project), is because my producer wanted to cut his feature in Premiere.  I agreed to do it but after a year of using Premiere, I wish I had fought him on this.  Everything but everything is harder in Premiere.  Premiere is not being well supported on the Mac. It crashes constantly. It takes an hour to load clips. It's full of gotchyas.  FCPX is stable as a piece of software is. The rare times it crashes it saves everything.  When Premiere crashes, which this new release does contstantly (on the Mac) it disconnects clips. Then takes an hour to reload everything again. Apple released their first version  (2011) without adequate features and scared away 50% of the market and many of the pro's. But, theyve upgraded the product over a dozen times and its miles ahead of any other editing system right now. Anyone who has bothered to learn X, which is a FAST learn (I know this cause I teach it), LOVES it.  It's winning back much of the market now because it's fast, intuitive, stable and FUN.  Premiere is NONE of those things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your experience has been very good in FCPX, which is great to hear. I'm more concerned with the work just getting done than which product ... which is why, on the de-linking of SpeedGrade from PrPro in the 10.x builds of 2015.3/4, I downloaded and have worked some with Resolve.

Awesome program for full-time graders, and some find the Editing "mode" of Resolve quite adequate and intuitive. Me, not so much, actually. As, I've been told so many times that Mac OS's are always more "intuitive" ... yet when I've sat at a Mac, at times I haven't even been able to start programs ... seriously.

I can get around on a PC quite nicely, thank you ... different strokes are "intuitive" for different folks.

As you find FCPX "intuitive".  However, the assumption that what is intuitive for you and some of those you work with is therefore categorically better and more intuitive for everyone ... that's not a foregone conclusion.

To me? Apple ... what a bunch of kindergartners. Completely paranoid of anyone else touching let alone "using" their stuff ... such as say, ProRes. Really professional behavior to completely deny the utilization of a major codec because of the OS of other potential users. The last couple OS releases have been a pain in the backside for so many vendors ... it was a huge topic of aisle-way discussions outside the major pro-video equipment vendor booths at the last couple NAB's. Used to be, they'd get plenty of time to test a new OS before release, and when they found problems, someone was seriously interested in both listening & helping ... and seeing if they could fix something on Apple's part before roll-out.

Now ... short notice times, poor attitude on the part of the staffers they attempt to work with ... and this is from folks that are about as Mac-centric as you can get. All noting they get better relations with Redmond than Cupertino these days as far as OS stuff. Shaking their heads, seriously feeling abandoned.

But then, with a CEO who seriously questions why anyone would buy a desktop these days ... right.

Major colorist friends are now teaching how to leave Mac behind, as for several years now there's been no significant increase in hardware horsepower in big Macs. None. Not even mentioned the last few cycles. So ... they're teaching how to build PC's running either just Windows or dual Windows/Linux OS's.

With all the multi-K and HDR stuff coming out, the old ... almost what, five year old basic mobo of the big Macs? ... hardware just can't tack on enough gizmos to keep up.

Kinda funny to watch the vids ... having to point out that gee, there's all sorts of calendaring options also in Windows ... who knew! So you can actually do most anything you've been used to doing, just the UI might be a bit different.

I'm rather disappointed in Apple, personally. Never used their stuff, but ... I do prefer stiff competition in the things I use. And Apple seems to be abandoning serious desktop computing. They used to be so cool with it ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Adobe Premiere CC has been around for 15 years plus and yet it STILL runs like a Beta release on the Mac (By FCPX's second update, within a month or so, it had corrected all it's bugginess).  This, in my opinion, shows an absolute disregard for the Mac user.  Now, this may be a result of the Apple vs. Adobe war.  I don't know. But, I do now, that this is a major screw up.  But, it's not just the crashing cause when it crashes ( this issue MAY have been corrected in the last update) it has been breaking links to source clips. This is another major screwup.  This issue has effectively ruined the entire organization of my bins in a feature project I've been working on for months, such that finding my back from the timeline to the source clip folders -- all carefully organized --  is no longer two-clicks away.  What a mess! And then there is the myriad ways of losing things when one is dragging things. The oh so many gotchya's. The silliness when doing such common tasks as copying parts of the timeline (why can't I copy in to out?). The endless number of preferences (a throwback to 7 and Avid). I can edit 4K on X with ease and if I'm on an older iMac, I can easily create Proxies with one click and work with those. But, I can't create proxies in CC without creating them OUTSIDE of CC and going through about 10 steps (eegads) and cant easily switch back and forth. A nightmare. In X it's ONE click to create and one click to move back and forth. ONE CLICK. With Premiere  I face a hyper-busy screen of buttons and doodads. Darn if looking at my project in Premiere doesn't make my eyes hurt after a half, not to mention hours of use.

As for intuitive and the different pov's on this.  Well, all I can say, is that as an instructor of FCP7 and FCPX and Premiere, it takes me about 20% of the time to teach FCPX compared to FCP7 or CC. Trust me on this. In many ways X has adversely affected my training business cause it so darn easy to learn.  I won't bore you with the details of how superior X is to CC or Avid, but it isn't even close. X is superior in countless ways.  It's the pro's stuck in their mindset based on the first release of X, which lacked many important features, that keeps Avid and CC alive. That , and the fact that Apple is perceived as becoming the Microsoft of the day.  That you have issues figuring out how to start the Mac makes me realize how stuck people are on their mindset.  As a CC and X user on professional projects, I know them both quite well and I would never ever choose to use CC on anything.  There is NOTHING it does better than X... except crash ))

You may be right that Apple may not supporting the workstation with the attention they once did. But, let's be real. Apple built it's company on the graphical user interface.  And their interfaces still blow away the competition. Yea, they may be more expensive than the competition's open architecture, but with their closed system comes a robust stability that can not be touched by the Windows world. If the colorists want to change to Windows, big deal. Apple has NOT built a color correction tool to compare.  But, give them time...

In a word, CC is a mess compared to the tight intuitive X as for as interface design and functionality. It's Byzantine CC/Avid versus Bauhaus X. And incidentally, you are absolutely right about Resolve and its nifty editing system. It's limited but sweet.  Guess what? It's  a rip off of X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always enjoy 'hearing' a skilled user of a different tool. MIght be even interested in trying it, if I wanted to go buy a five-year old mobo machine. That costs a heck of a lot more than the rig I'm using that works just fine ...

My point about the intuitive-ness and a couple times not being able to puzzle out a Mac, was meant as pointing out that though I've been told countless times anyone without any computer experience can just sit at a Mac and go ... well, that's maybe sort of true for some. But not for everyone period ...

And Apple hasn't done anything of note for the workstation computers in several years. Life has moved on ... Big Macs, not so much.That's why some very Mac-centric total "I got every Device Apple ever made" folks in the colorist world are building Pc's. They don't want to move away from Apple ... but they can't stay with it and keep up with the fast shifting material they've got to work that's coming their way. I've teased a couple about it ... two years ago, no WAY they would ever even think of checking PC specs out. They were rather vocal about the Superiority of the Mac Ethos. Perhaps even ... a bit arrogantly so, perhaps?

Now ... one's already installed his first PC Beast ... and is thrilled with the performance. Another's about ready to jump, and been studying planning out which bits & pieces he needs ... and those dudes run complicated setups between external boxes feeding monitors, scopes, projectors, and bazillion-bit network cabling and such. Many input devices, all that sort of thing.

Have no basis for anything but finding the discussion of working in FCPX interesting. Would love to see you work it at some point, but then ... chance of that is ridiculously low, right? I'd be fascinated, though ... probably more in how you approach your editing when you sit down than your gear even. There's always loads to learn there.

As to large long-form projects, yea, that's still on the edge for PrPro. I've talked with people who've cut a major project on PrPro and found that after they learned it, the whole thing went great. And of course, one sees here the posts from those who've tried but had many headaches. You don't want your software creating headaches in a Big Show project ... yea, you just don't. So anyone's got to work with what gets things done for them.

Kevin Monahan, Product Support manager for the Adobe DVA's, is an old FCP instructor himself. He's written some lengthy posts on best-practices for working long-form massive projects with multiple editors & colorists with PrPro. Having read through them, I'd say some of the things you need to do make "obvious" sense, and others ... don't seem so obvious. So one would expect many users to get in a pickle just because dang it, how are you supposed to know that? Not always obvious.

I've had people say "There's no way to do X in PrPro ... " ... and by the time I've figured out what their "no way" task really was, even with my limited editing skills/knowledge I could quickly point out the keyboard short to do it in PrPro. But they'd not been able to find that out ... the documentation for this is sort of maybe kind of useful. Most of the time. IF you know how to get through the first couple layers of FeatureTalk and actually get to how to use a blame tool.

That is definitely an issue.

And then there's the things that are easy in another NLE, and may not exist directly in PrPro. Which of course goes the other way too. All of which complicate the multi-editor workspace. That doesn't need further complications.

I was a TA at Adobe MAX for Dave Helmle, in charge of working with the movie/tv industry on PrPro issues. Had a good chat with him about this. Yea, IF one knows how, it can run well in multi-editor projects, but ... with a very different pattern to the process than people expect coming in. Once he's got a whole project staff trained, it works well.

To me ... that's an issue right there. If the clients need a trainer to run a major project, how many shops/production companies are going to jump to PrPro?

But it's their business, not mine. I just "play" here ...

Neil

(and yea ... there's some major stuuupid bugs ... sheesh ... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was curious about your comment regarding FCPX stability, non bugginess etc... so I thought I would check out a FCPX Forum

Topics/subjects  looked very similar to Premiere Forum and it took no time at all to find this and many other issues...

FCP.co Forum :: Topic: 10.3 issues (1/7)

Issues and problems  seem to be common to NLEs but unique to different users.   Everyones mileage differs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines