Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lounge Production Presents: Joint Efforts Project

Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I don't feel it would be right to take over the thread started by Steven, I start a new one. This thread is going to be dedicated to producing a movie as a result of those voluneers' joint efforts, who are members of Adobe Community.

The main objective for this project is to collaboratively create final product from scratch: from defining the project scope to finally publish a movie somewhere, be it a dedicated website or just YouTube or Vimeo, as we'll define later.

This main objective is not the only project's goal. It is assumed, participants will be able to work on a particular tasks so as to improve their own skills in a desired field via sharing creativity, knowledge and skills.

I also hope we'll gain the Forum moderators' support so as to be able to appropriately update this original post so that others, who might arrive here later, will be able to understand at which stage the project is that time.

Now let's try to define the project scope.

By 15 October we reached our first milestone and defined

PRODUCT SCOPE and PROJECT CONSTRAINTS & QUALITY CRITERIA

Product Scope

Item

Specification

Priority

Movie, The

Genre: TV commercial

Duration: 60 seconds

Quality: Broadcast Safe Luminance & Chrominance

Format: 1080p, 24 fps, H.264, 32/40 Mbps

Compulsory Elements:

- 3D graphics and VFX (SciFi) incorporated into live shots

- Specific consistent look (colour design)

Highest

Dedicated website

Genre: Promotional website

Scope: 2 pages

Compulsory Elements:

- Web animation

- Video streaming

High

Official trailer

Duration: 30 seconds

Medium

Behind the scene movie

Genre: Documentary

Duration: 2 minutes

Compulsory Elements:

- Short interviews with the project participants

- VFX breakdown

Medium

Talk show appearance

Duration: 30 seconds

Low

Poster

Genre: 16 x 9 Billboard

Quantity: 1 sample

Format: 1920 x 1080 pix, PNG

Genre: 4 x 3 Affiche

Format: 1080 x 810 pix, PNG

High

Print ads

Genre: Glossy magazine ad, Front cover

Format: Full page, Page-proof PDF

Genre: Newspaper ad, Multi-column print

Format: ¼ Page, Page-proof PDF             

Medium

Article

Genre: Review

Format: Page-proof PDF, ~500 words

Medium

Brief Report on Collaborative Tools

Quantity: 1 article

Format: Page-proof PDF

Highest

Project Constraints & Quality Criteria

- 24 December 2013 is a strict deadline;

- All media used in final product, from sound to 3D model textures, must be created by the project participants. Utilising stock media in final product is not allowed;

- Missing media or incomplete elements must be replaced with placeholders, white noise or subtitles, which explain what is missing (e.g. 'nice music is playing on the background' or 'nice colour grading applied here' etc.);

- The project is accepted as successful in terms of quality control, if no less than 90% of all planned work is complete. The overall progress is calculated as the following ratio:

(SUM OF COMPLETE ELEMENTS MULTIPLIED BY THEIR WEIGHTS) / (SUM OF ALL PLANNED ELEMENTS MULTIPLIED BY THEIR WEIGHTS)

- The project is accepted as successful in terms of attractiveness to external audience, if we reach 1 000 hits within three months after final product release, where

100 hits = 100 website landing page visits = 10 visits of 2nd page = 10 movie views = 1 movie download.

The following hits distribution is expected:

600 hits within 1st month after release;

250 hits within 2nd month after release;

150 hits within 3rd month after release.

Discussion on the next project phase, planning tasks list and obtaining required resources, starts at comment #84.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 330 Replies 330
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please define " scope" a little for me.. parameters of what scope falls within...as I am all over the map with this idea of 'scope'...

in broad and general terms... give me idea what you mean by scope...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With pleasure

In broad and general terms that should encompass all the requirements to final product (movie or maybe some other things along with movie, The) and all work, which must be done to deliver the final product. In other words, we should define our movie genre, duration etc.; what else is included in the final product; fields we want to concentrate on while producing the movie (personally I need to develop my skills in 3D modelling, and I'd like to learn a bit of HTML5 with Java, which are presumably substitute Flash and ActionScript now) and then determine the work to deliver all that.

Don't forget about time scope: by which date we are going to release our immortal creation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool...

okay, I recommend a 60 second TV commercial as the genre.

That would require a tight script and fast pace but it allows for many contributers to shoot individual scenes ( clips ) if the actual product lends itself to that type versatility ( a sports product, hamburger, coke, whatever ).

We would ideally have a website ( maybe with a simple database ) for team to sign up, give contact info, email address, etc.. and it needs to be secure to some extent..and report progress ( those could be fields in the database ). Samples of work either completed or in progress could be displayed ( via html5 streaming stuff ). Maybe uploads and downloads from site too...

I have the equipment to do small setups , with lighting etc, but am new in my neighborhood so getting free locations to use might be difficult..( interiors )... so I'd like to keep my own contribution desires open now... could be speedgrade or cc in general ...on the good ol pig.

time duration to complete project should wait until we have the contributers express interest etc... as the more who work on it the faster we can probably do it..

We should basically maybe imagine a production office that someone just opened in a new city...to do a job... and fill those positions.. production manager is important.. sorta like the nuts and bolts of keeping things in perspective and moving along... coordinating things.

the script ideally will end up being tight enough to be a strip board.. and someone has to keep track of what is shot, what changes have to be made ( script re-write ) etc...

editor... someone with experience or desire to learn this more better... should be into this along with the music composition or mixing etc.

distribution... the place to show the product...

critical review...  a place ( website again ? ) .. to vote on and critique and review the results of the final showing...in two ways...

aesthetically speaking , along with technically speaking...

PLUS

the overall impressions of those who contributed.... what worked, what was too slow, what didnt work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps.

regardless of the genre ( commercial , drama feature, episodic, industrial, etc ) lets treat this like a 'movie' in the sense that we need ( along with distribution ) posters, print ads, radio spots... etc... talk show appearances, newspaper articles... all the stuff that PR does.. for any product...and lets tap into that aspect of selling and marketing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

obviously what I said is just my own initial input here.. it is fluid and flexible and just a sorta first idea... and am game for whatever others suggest and so on.. thats the fun part !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GREAT!

I hope we are ready to release by Cristmas.

And now we need to define the time span for other contributors to join before we take a decision and move further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we were to create a commercial, the product could always be "Yoodles". Although there was a contest a decade ago that had a pretty decent Yoodles commercial. Perhaps it is time to update it?

In any case, I suggest that we would be safer with a "fake" product instead of doing something with a real, trademarked product. Maybe even something video related.

How about a comercial for "Instant Movie". Enter a few simple parameters into the video camera, point the camera at the subject, and the movie automagically appears on YouTube via a wireless connection

The creation of the camera screens would be challenging, and a good 3D program could be used to create the camera itself. Integrating the 3D camera with live action could be a tough nut to crack.

The fake ads created would be for Post Magazine, VideoMaker, etc. With banners to use at DV Expo at the Javits Center.

Interviews with people who think it is evil that computers are taking over the world, and believe that the cameras are connected via wireless to an evil genious who has an agenda and is influencing the plots of the Instant Movies.

Lots of fun.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Steven, in which field(s) would you like to improve your skills while working on the project so that we could take that into account while defining our final product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

boy, those are great ideas you have, Steve,  about the potential product.. I was a little confused about some aspects ( couldnt imagine it ) but when it comes down to that fine tuning you could maybe add a link to something similar ( visuals , etc ).. or you could draw pics etc...

cool ideas...

fuzzy.. you happened to mention...

=======

I hope we are ready to release by Cristmas.

=======

which made me think right away that instead of 'pizza' or yoodles , it could maybe be a xmas present ( anything wrapped like a present )...

I know this is getting into stuff we're not ready for yet... but was just my stupid immediate 'idea'...

anyway, I just discovered I may be too stupid to do much but will do what I can for sure.

The reason I feel stupid is cause I got the ninja and in trying to unlock the secret code to get avid to work on the SSD drive it took me like a FREAKIN HOUR to actually accomplish that task.. ( the code " ABCDEFOI " turned out to be all letters except for the 0....which was a number....OMG....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now recuperated from the horrendous effort to get the ninja working with the ssd for avid codec.. due to my stupidity...and the next step ( also updated firmware ) is to put camera on tripod, hook up hdmi and attempt to record with the thing.. and the put into pig and see what happens in cs6.... 

so I've decided that since I have no clue what I'm doing with this basic shooting and putting into pig thing.. I would like to focus on " shooting" something and contributing some kinda clip ( with slated sound )...

I can do whatever is needed to get the files to others.. upload, dvd mailing, blu ray, whatever.. and I have a post office close by so I can do express mail etc .. whatever is needed...

Aside from that my personal goal is also to learn how to work wtih a group and fit in with the group in a way that I add as much value as I can without being into ego stuff.. like wanting to be some kinda control freak or loose cannon or whatever.. just kinda help in a group....

so, shooting using new camera, ninja thing , cs6 on pig ( no internet connection on pig but mouse has that )... might be a good start for me...

??

I'm probably aware of production manager issues and other stuff too, if I am needed to help out there too...

whatever...I am flexible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:

So, Steven, in which field(s) would you like to improve your skills while working on the project so that we could take that into account while defining our final product?

Fair question.

I could use some work on actually using the Creative Cloud storage in a way that everyone has access. I have limited experience with the "see through" touch screens that seem to pop up in SciFi movies all the time. My Ae skills are limited to things I have needed repeatedly. And corporate work does not require shooting images of someone pretending to use a screen in mid air to control something.

But really, the main problem I have is that I don't know what I don't know until I try to do it. Or someone describes it and my first thought is "How the heck would anyone do THAT!"

What skills I do have are generally related to figuring out how to do stuff. I am a pretty decent researcher. I tell people I am a good guesser, but it really is experience at research, and not guessing. If someone asks for something, my abilities generally lend themselves to helping them. Thinking of it in the first place is not one of my stronger traits.

Basically, I am Kato, not the Green Hornet, Tonto not the Lone Ranger, Riker not Picard. I am comfortable in the sidekick role, providing support.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, let's have a look at what we have by this moment.

Product Scope:

Item

Features

Bounds

Movie, The

Compulsory Elements:

- 3D graphics and VFX (SciFi) incorporated into live shots

- Specific consistent look (colour design)

60 seconds

Dedicated website

Genre: Promotional website

Compulsory Elements:

- Web animation

- Video streaming

2 pages

Official trailer

30 seconds

Behind the scene movie

Genre: Documentary

Compulsory Elements:

- Short interviews with the project participants

- VFX breakdown

2 minutes

Talk show appearance

30 seconds

Poster

Genre: 16 x 9 Billboard

4 x 3 Affiche

1 sample

1 sample

Print ads

Genre: Glossy magazine ad, Front cover

Newspaper ad, Multi-column print

1 sample, Full page

1 sample, ¼ Page

Article

1 sample, ~500 words

Additional requirements:

- All media used in final product, from sound to stills for 3D model texturing, must be created by the project participants. Using stock media in final product is not allowed;

- Preferable platform for sharing all project documentation is Adobe Creative Cloud;

- Final product release date is 24 December 2013.

Is anything missing, incorrect or requires clarification? Thoughts, comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, thats fantastic fuzzy.. nice going !!!!  I took a screenshot of that so I have it on my desktop now.. can review it etc as needed...

I'm thinking there is not that much time between now and Dec 24.. so I better get my butt in gear.....start moving....GET GOING !  hehe...

I hope some people sign onto this and are willing the take the challenge ...and if help from adobe is available that would be nice too...but mostly I think we have to depend on ourselves...

I dumped my Microsoft Visual Studio program ( asp.net etc ) a while back ( before the mouse )...and that required IIS ( for server )...soooo I'm thinking maybe my current web hosting program ( inmotionhosting ) might have the junk necessary to do some interactive stuff...but I need to call them on phone and see whats up with that.. how much it would cost for them to set something up for me quick...  I'll get on that by Tue. next week. If anyone else has ability to have secure website for stuff that would be cool..

Im sure the macromedia stuff ( oh, sorry, I mean ' dreamweaver ' ) can do what we need.. but nobody I know here does that stuff...

I'm gonna look over what you did so far and think about it a little... and get back to this thread later.  Thanks fuzzy.. nice job starting this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right off the bat.. we need to add IMO " objectives"...and that would be a number of things in a general sense. Not individual objectives, but project objectives.

this would relate eventually to the 'article' promoting the product... is we for example say, " one objective is to use the creative cloud and adobe products in a fast paced environment to utilize the potential of the cloud ".

soooo, an article about the project final result ( marketing, sales, PR for this particular project ) would probably include excerpts from the CEO corporate statements re: teamwork , vision of future of adobe etc.

I'm sorta stuck on that one objective at the moment in terms of the 'PR' and talk shows and articles.. but theres more.. regardless of the adobe corp. vision...

Namely, the vision of 'artists' and craftsmen and businessmen to work across borders instantly as a group to realize ( produce ) cool products.. in a sense, regardless of a particular company's vision of its own products in that stream... 

??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to call them on phone and see whats up with that.. how much it would cost for them to set something up for me quick...

Rod, I think we should try to accomplish our project on zero budget - we will hardly succeed in crowd funding to cover expenditures... We'd rather sacrifice some scope, time or quality depending on our criteria, which we'll need to set to assess whether we succeeded or failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was kinda thinking I would cover the cost myself.. and maybe get them to do something that actually promotes THEM and their ability to do sites for businesses etc.. but anyway, I'll call them and see what they say.. just for the heck of it...

I was one of their original customers and I think they like me for that longevity..I might be able to sell them on the idea of setting something up for nothin...or real min. expense to me...no big deal.

we have to have some way to get people on board and keep track of what they want to contribute to project talent wise etc...and their progress etc.. dont we ?  and have site for samples of clips shot, sound stuff, sharing real samples in progress ( like dailies etc ?? ).. or am I nuts ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well... hmmm.. my hosting service cant do the asp.net type database stuff I had in mind...even for relatively simple stuff like having a database for people signing onto the project ( web forms and so on ). I was messing around with ms visual studio years ago, using ms sql server and my host can't deal with that ....

I also messed around with ms " access" on website ( which isnt really a relational database like ibm, sql server etc ).. but that aint happening either on my host...

I guess I should add that I did have the IIS stuff installed on pre mouse computer to play with this stuff ( my own client/server in one box ).

so sadly my current host is not able to deal with the database stuff... hmmmm.. am still thinking...

anyone using dreamweaver and php and fusion etc ?? can do this ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 05, 2013 Oct 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case someone else would like to join, but it’s not quite clear what we’re trying to do at this stage.

The project requires accomplishing two sets of tasks: work to produce and deliver the final product and work to manage the work of producing and delivering the final product (to manage the project itself).

So as to produce and deliver the product we need to define what constitutes our product first. A set of ‘tangible assets’, included in our final product, was proposed above. Now we need to ensure that all items we want are in the list, every item specification is clear and sufficient, and to which extent we can tolerate some deviations from the specifications.

Knowing that, we will be able to define, which work and in which order we need to undertake (invent a story, convert it into a storyboard, shoot a particular take etc.) and which tools (resources) we need to accomplish that.

And since this is the collaborative project, we need to find a tool (software), which will help us easily create and monitor tasks calendar and their progress (complete, requires approval etc.), who is responsible for a particular task, whether we have all tools (resources) to accomplish it or have to undertake another task to obtain required resources and so on. That is what Rod was talking about in his latter posts.

Hope, it’s clearer now, so
COME TO JOIN US!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We might have to use a database to keep up with the onslaught of enthusiastic individuals...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a short list of project management applications we might consider using for our purposes:

1. ZOHO Projects. Web-based application. Free account provides tools for 1 active project with unlimited number of users;

2. Teambox. Web-based application. Free account provides toolls for 5 active projects, 5 users, 5 GB storage and integration with Google Drive;

3. qdPM. Free open source application for web-based project management. Requires web-server with PHP and MySQL support.

Steven may also want to explore Adobe Story CC Plus scheduling and production reports capabilities and then tell us what he managed to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how cool.. thanks fuzzy.. I'll check out those links...

I just finished a test with my new ninja from hdmi out ( nikon d800 ).. and it looks nice... avid codec.  looks way nicer than h264 from sd card...in cs6 program monitor ... at least thats my first impression...Im very happy with it so far...

is basically now 422 10 bit instead of 8 bit .. but still just 420 original 'color' from chip.. but it actually looks better..

pig is happy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i was into that ms visual studio stuff and ms sql server .. i looked into the mysql thing ( open source ) and what I really really liked about the ms sql svr. was the enterprise UI thing.. where you could make a sorta flow chart of your tables and links between fields in those tables...and it was way easy to change the parameters of the fields ( legal input etc )...

I am so out of that now... its been like 6 years since my foray into that asp.net junk, and playing with dreamweaver alternatives etc...

I cant say his name but someone who has been here is a pro programmer and author and musician and very talented etc.. who can probably set up something simple for us if we give him the server... but I cant volunteer that kinda thing for him.. he's busy big time...but he does know whats up with media and stuff.. so who knows.. maybe worth yappin with him if we get enough forum users interested in this ..

I honestly dont think there are that many pro people here ... i listed about 8 names or 10 names earlier who I think are up to the level this would work for... but they are also busy making a living etc.. so... if it aint 'monetized' it may be a stupid thing to pursue for some ...

I think we have to be prepared to realize everyone has their own agenda here.. as a 'hobby' and maybe a way to make money at the hobby.. but beyond that it is kinda iffy.... who knows.. anything can happen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:
COME TO JOIN US!

- I don't have a camera.
- I don't shoot.
- I have a couple of paying projects currently in the works.
- I'm not sure where I would fit into this plan.

Maybe some graphic elements or comps?

¯\(°_o)/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines