• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

new computer to replace mouse

Guide ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was a nervous wreck today ( this morning up to now ....cause now its BEER THIRTY YIPEE ! TIME to relax )

Reason for nervous wrecklessness is I went to micro center in MN. area to pick out new computer components and see if they could build it for me, and be within my tight budget.

It took about 3 hours . But luckily the sales guy I met up with was fantastic and very cool.. and knew a LOT of stuff about high end machines and monitors etc.. through his own computer use ( serious gamer but aware of video editing and photoshop on pro level ). He did a lot to lessen my anxiety... and between us we think we got a good system for starting out. I can add stuff ( drives and better monitor(s) later as needed ).

This is what I got...and I will pick it up in 3-4 days from now...and it will weigh about 40 pounds !  Yikes !  It's HUGE !

components copy.jpg

After I pick it up and bring home I'm gonna install cs6 hard copy creative suite... update both windows and CS6 to newest versions and patches and fixes and whatever... and then unplug the ( disable ) new computer from internet.

We figured on 1 SSD for OS

1 SSD for scratch disk ( cs6 ) and probably those temp rendered files etc that PR likes...

2 Hard drives in raid 1 for source material

1 Hard drive for exports.

Then I can use my ext hd graid for backup of exports or for transit.

I'm probably gonna need help getting this set up right and adobe loaded properly.. and hope this thread can do that even though we are in lounge and typically dont deal with tech issues... I'll see how that goes down the road.

I really don't wanna spread myself all over the map and share posts with people who are frankly a bit less than interested in trying to eek out the best 'pro' system I can get going with this startup system...with an eye for adding to it later ( like when I get a client for example.. which would be nice at some point.. duh )

Anyway, regardless, it's BEER THIRTY ! YIPPEEE ! 

AND I GOT A NEW COMPUTER ( almost )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

notice the scarf and French motif....scarf and wine if I may so bold...and remember strauss kahn...who tied up the maid...

scarf and wine.jpg

in THIS scientific " study" the woman is going out the " in " door...and has claws for hands... but wears a beautiful scarf ...probably to tie up her lovers...

imf scarf2.jpg

whereas... in this pic the current IMF genius is wearing a scarf to tie up her 'enemies'

She knows that being close to her enemies is important and talks to bloomberg via secret twitter stuff ( bloomberg is trying to get

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 391 Replies 391
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not smart enough to poke any holes in that configuration.

Looks like something you should be able to rely on for quite a few years.

I am really looking forward to hearing your joy at the pictures you shoot RAW and process in Photoshop's Camera RAW.

You are going to have to open a private area of your web site for those few of us that should be considered the priviledged few who get to see some of your images full size.  You have one heck of a camera, now you will have one heck of a tool to process the pictures from it.

I hope you have as much fun as I have been having. The right tools to process the images from the right camera is just a real joy. You'll see.

Congratulations.

You'll be zooming in to 100% to see the shape of the catch light in people's eyes. You will look at the images close up and see things you didn't see with your naked eye.

As I said.... You'll see. You are going to wonder why you didn't retire and do this a lot earlier. You could end up wondering how you had time to work with all of the wonders in the universe staring back at you through your lens.

And you don't have to send film out for processing, or work with smelly chemicals!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I'm gonna like this I think...new computer and cs6 ( I am praying ).

I have to figure out a new name for the new computer. The mouse will always be a hero and stay connected for other programs ( it is stuffed to the gills with programs ). Anyone have a good name for new computer ? not mighty mouse.. that is lame...hmmmm....something with hope and strength connected to it.... maybe " The ......fill in blank "... and now think of a song you just wrote that has hope and strength in it... ????  all you musicians ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IN terms of monitors.. it basically goes from about $1100.00 to start with decent monitor...and everything below that is basically 'junk'..

But the degrees of " junkiness " varies a bit...then on the high end there are some really cool monitors ( nec etc ) that are HUGE and good, and like takes 2 people to even LIFT the thing...

But for junky monitor this IPS thing might be okay to start.. as long as I am not doing serious color grading etc... should be okay for roughing stuff in....and I can get another one later...

As for a 3rd, for scopes, it's probably a dumb idea anyway, cause the monitor isn't gonna be accurate anyway no matter what...

I really just wanna get in the ballpark at this point...so this might do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have a good name for new computer ?

Rodney's Rampage

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rodney,

How can you possibly edit with that rig? You didn not go with the cooling fans, with the pulsing, multi-colored LED's!

Now, if you can hook up that liquid cooler, so that if first runs through your beer box, you will set up. Maybe get one of these, and run the cooling tubes to it?

beer_hat_02.png

Looks like a good system. I would have gone one size up on that second SSD, but maybe that is just me?

Enjoy, and let us know of your progress.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

=====

I would have gone one size up on that second SSD, but maybe that is just me?

===

yeah , we sweated that out a while...and I thought that too... and also had to basically think of what my first project is compared to maybe future projects...

sooo, we sorta looked at byte counts for HD as 30 min documentary type stuff..and then 1 hour long stuff... and that sorta thing...

ALL the drives came under scrutiny for that... at first it was gonna be 3 Hd with raid 5 for source and export .. all sorta of permutations...and I hope the stupid ssd for scatch is good for the 30 min thing...

After that it's a new deal... but by THEN I would either have a client to pay for some of this, or I will be " playing " for the rest of my life... know what I mean ?

There's also the defrag times on this junk and so many things to worry about..is why I started this thread...

If I export stuff ( for example ) to send to post for grading , that's gonna be uncompressed and do I have enough for THAT for 30 min... ?? The source stuff will probably be around 3 hours of junk to get 30 min out of it...

UG !  But I had to start somewhere and be within a dumb budget ...I sure hope this works out okay... but at least the people at micro center were very cool... they really helped and tried to save me money ( even applied some discounts not seen on that order ...cause a new 'coupon' thing came out as I was at the register paying .. they will just credit my bank with about $ 150.00 from that when it goes to the build techs ).

As it is I'm looking at eating peanut butter sandwiches for the next 3 years.. so things are tight ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rampage.. sheesh.. I'm rolling my eyes..

Wouldn't you like to see me being more calm and collected and a source of steady ( dignified ) product ?  I'm thinking maybe I can be like noel coward ?

http://www.noelcoward.com/

my computer can reflect that ???

how about " THE HAMPSTER " !!!!!!  Wayyy bigger than a mouse !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay.. a small rampage is maybe justified... this from my local news about musicians.. the people who actually PLAY the music etc..

==========

The Minnesota Orchestra will return approximately $960,000 to the state arts board.

Orchestra management last December had pledged to sequester its fiscal 2013 grant from the state until a contract was reached with locked-out musicians. There is still no deal, so when the state’s fiscal year ended on Saturday, the funds were returned. Grants cannot be carried over to new fiscal periods.

In June, the Office of the Legislative Auditor reviewed the orchestra’s use of public money and determined that between 2010 and 2013, all state funds were used appropriately, including $14 million in bonding for a renovation of Orchestra Hall. The report also indicated the orchestra and arts board should negotiate on the question of whether any of the 2013 grant could be applied to general operations. It appears that none of the grant was allowed.

The orchestra’s board and musicians started contract negotiations 14 months ago. Talks broke off on Sept. 30 and musicians were locked out the following day. Since then, there has been one formal bargaining session, in early January.

Management’s original proposal was to cut minimum salaries by 32 percent. Musicians have not offered a counter. The musicians have said they will not return to bargaining unless the lockout is lifted. Management has refused that demand.

=========

lock out ??? this is a new phrase and I HATE IT !  IT IS THE most retarded phrase I can think of in labor relations with employers. ESPECIALLY for artists ( who by and large are usually freelance or per diem and rarely " staff " ).  It implies, " Oh, I am locked out of the place of my employment, I cannot get " in " to go to work !  I must have done something WRONG ! "  BOO Hooo... I am soooo sad... I messed up.. I can't go to work cause I was BAD .....

locked out.

good grief, how stupid can this get ??  30 % cut in salary ??? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you dont GET IT.. this means the orchestra cancelled it's season.. nobody is making music and the bulk of the people who actually MAKE the music ( yes, you play an intrument and can play really well ) have been LOCKED OUT for a long long time.. out of work... no money to pay bills etc...

What is the alternative ? Take a 30 % cut in PAY to work in a newly revamped hot shot building for people who are making TONS of money right NOW... they are NOT locked out ...

I hate hate hate this junk....RAMPAGE !!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IN CONCLUSION.. Bill, lets not confuse my 'attitude' with my tools....I'm kind fond of " THE HAMPSTER " so far....

It's kinda like a powerhouse... and runs around to just about ANY soundtrack....or image sequence... I could easily look at my new computer and see a hampster running ...no matter WHAT I edited on it.. but that's just me at the moment.

Think.. " hope and strength " ... put on your thinking cap.. and put coors lite on your cooling helmet .. no wonder you are sweltering in AZ... you got the wrong BEER !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hamster runs in endless circle, expending all his energy.

Hamster never gets anywhere (and doesn't know the difference).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Guinea Pig is bigger than a Hamster, and when you are mad at the PC, you can just call it "The Pig".

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not go mythological?

Zeus, Thor, Pegasus... Bacchus?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sexist.

How about Gaea?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or... everyone loves an obscure LOR reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, about four computers back, I had "Mercury." [Think winged feet, and not the automobile.]

Now, drawing more from pop culture, you could call it "Ghidorah," as in http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101962/

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you are hung up on "pig-things," then maybe considering all those HDD's, what about "Hogzilla?"

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/kids/animals-pets-kids/wild-detectives-kids/wd-ep1-hogzill...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe "King Pig?"

Cinci_Pig.jpg

Maybe not as fast as a "flying pig," but neat, and oh so very regal.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe.. wow, some great ideas !!!!  and observations..

okay ...hampster is out the window...pig is in the running, as are myth characters...

I heard somewhere that pigs are sorta nice animals at heart.. some even make pets out of them... ?  And the thing is pretty BIG...

hmmmmm.....  must think some more....

I'm having a little bit of a hard time figuring out where to PUT the thing... so far the floor is the best bet for the box in terms of leaving other stuff on my table...and having room for the monitor and stuff....If I put some wood down on the rug the floor should be okay I'm thinking...  The only thing bad about it that I can think of is I really HATE working on the floor when I pull the panel and add stuff etc

You know, when I think about the size of this thing and whats in it... and then think about a laptop having pretty much the same stuff in it....it's pretty amazing isnt it ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC PG wodehouse wrote about Blandings Castle a bit...and the owner, Lord something or other ( aka Clarence ) had a prize winning pig named the Empress...it was so fat it won a lot of awards.

Does the Empress in honor of said pig sound okay ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

Of course, thinking way back to my childhood (the first not the second) there is always "Wilbur" or "Some Pig!"

He was allowed to get big because of that fancy web, right?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont recall wilbur or some pig whatsoever...the only wilbur I recall was the owner of mr ed the talking horse...

A friend just mentioned that with raid 1 ( mirror of 2 drives ) might give me a performance hit... this would be for source material... is it true that it would slow me down and would it be significant ??

I might be able to change the build order in time to change this stuff if it's not right....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shucks! Too obscure?

Charlotte's Web

I would have thought with the 2005 remake starring Julia Roberts, you would have gotten that one!

Poor Steve Buscemi. Typecast again (as a rat).

Edit:  Oh, and yes, RAID1 will slow you down. RAID0 speeds you up but it needs a backup because it is inherentlyt unsafe. So people go with RAID10 to give speed and mirroring - both.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370235,00.asp

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E True Hollywood Story

Arnold Ziffel, the "Green Acres" pig:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines