• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

new computer to replace mouse

Guide ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was a nervous wreck today ( this morning up to now ....cause now its BEER THIRTY YIPEE ! TIME to relax )

Reason for nervous wrecklessness is I went to micro center in MN. area to pick out new computer components and see if they could build it for me, and be within my tight budget.

It took about 3 hours . But luckily the sales guy I met up with was fantastic and very cool.. and knew a LOT of stuff about high end machines and monitors etc.. through his own computer use ( serious gamer but aware of video editing and photoshop on pro level ). He did a lot to lessen my anxiety... and between us we think we got a good system for starting out. I can add stuff ( drives and better monitor(s) later as needed ).

This is what I got...and I will pick it up in 3-4 days from now...and it will weigh about 40 pounds !  Yikes !  It's HUGE !

components copy.jpg

After I pick it up and bring home I'm gonna install cs6 hard copy creative suite... update both windows and CS6 to newest versions and patches and fixes and whatever... and then unplug the ( disable ) new computer from internet.

We figured on 1 SSD for OS

1 SSD for scratch disk ( cs6 ) and probably those temp rendered files etc that PR likes...

2 Hard drives in raid 1 for source material

1 Hard drive for exports.

Then I can use my ext hd graid for backup of exports or for transit.

I'm probably gonna need help getting this set up right and adobe loaded properly.. and hope this thread can do that even though we are in lounge and typically dont deal with tech issues... I'll see how that goes down the road.

I really don't wanna spread myself all over the map and share posts with people who are frankly a bit less than interested in trying to eek out the best 'pro' system I can get going with this startup system...with an eye for adding to it later ( like when I get a client for example.. which would be nice at some point.. duh )

Anyway, regardless, it's BEER THIRTY ! YIPPEEE ! 

AND I GOT A NEW COMPUTER ( almost )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

notice the scarf and French motif....scarf and wine if I may so bold...and remember strauss kahn...who tied up the maid...

scarf and wine.jpg

in THIS scientific " study" the woman is going out the " in " door...and has claws for hands... but wears a beautiful scarf ...probably to tie up her lovers...

imf scarf2.jpg

whereas... in this pic the current IMF genius is wearing a scarf to tie up her 'enemies'

She knows that being close to her enemies is important and talks to bloomberg via secret twitter stuff ( bloomberg is trying to get

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 391 Replies 391
People's Champ ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The Corpse (a photographic exercise)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" He Was A Good Egg "

pic of egg on dvd cover

egg in a little egg coffin ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" She Was A Barrel Of Fun "

a barrel of laughs.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa, this thread is really getting dark and gloomy.

I expect that you all will get it back on track, prior to my return.

Also, by then, The Big Pig will be through shake-down, and Rod will be happily editing.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I told you I was ill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where you goin ??

Sorry you feel its dark and gloomy...I was thinking it was more like " MAD MAGAZINE " silly stuff.. and kinda funny.

But , hehe.. I find some things kinda funny that others find very not funny....

For example.. and this book might be worth picking up , Bill, just for the historical and cultural fact of having it as a collectors item....

This has to do with wine thirty... or in my case it's beer thirty...which GUESS WHAT ? ! YES ! IT IS BEER THIRTY ! YIPEE !

But , back to wine .... You can read this book on the plane and get a gist of how Sal writes... which is generally pretty good IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Jersey-Wine-Remarkable-American/dp/1609491831

The wines of New Jersey... who woulda thought you could write a book about that ?? John, the photographer, used to have chess and wine tasting ( and cheese ) at his house in brooklyn, years ago...me, sal, john, bob ippolito and others used to do a monthly " chess night " there...

I personally discovered that drinking wine and smoking stuff you shouldn't inhale DID NOT lend itself to playing good chess.

I knew this was true when one night an opponent said to me, as I was trying to douse a cigarette in an ashtray near the chess board, " If you just hold it steady a moment the ashtray will act as a heat sink, and your cigarette will go out ".

I realized at that point he was WAY smarter than me and I was gonna LOSE this particular chess game....

Anyway, Sal is cool...and you can help support the alleviation of his tax problems by purchasing the book for fun.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2013/05/09/book-on-new-jersey-wines-does-not-support-deduct...

It is true that Sal actually lived in France a lot... over the years... and it was that village where Pratt used to have a sorta " artist student program " ( forget what they are called ).. where like you go to some foreign place as like an exchange thing or whatever... get credit and have fun in some fun place at the same time...Ners ?  Anyway, that's also where SAM

pic of sam in pratt hangout years ago.....

sam-72dpi.jpg

lived for a long time painting stuff...only coming to nyc on occassion to do billboards to make more money...

Sam used to live at Sals place sometimes.. depending on his fortunes...and relationships with women etc.

Sam is the guy who didn't want to show me his penis that day when I found out he wasn't circumcised. A vet .. I'm lucky I didn't get punched in the head.

Anyway, Sal lives who knows where now.. I haven't heard from him in ages. His family got wiped out by nazis when he was little.

I don't know if that makes him an expert on wine...but he is very nice and smart... and writes well... so buy his book !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sam-72dpi.jpg

Modesty... an honorable attribute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, sam is cool. you should hear the stories now...is hilarious but also really retarded....

Bob had a stroke years ago ( lives in NJ now ) and lost his left side legs up. Got a gazillion dollar mal practice thing and spent it all on buying high end camera stuff to shoot the French open ( starts with a " G " )..and stuff like that...

Wife divorced him after a while and bought house down the street from his current apt. So he is close to daughters etc.

Meantime, still buddies with sam and sal, etc...and others you dont know about yet.. ( stay tuned .. there's MORE fun stuff ! ).

I have to tell you that when I was in bad situation in NY a few years ago ....money wise...and fighting with landlord etc... Bob was the ONLY one who offered to let me stay at his place in NJ... out of the gazillion film worker 'friends' I had....so at least I had someplace to go if I put everything in storage and moved out of my apt....which was a court case etc.

As it turned out I ended up throwing everything out and loaded up the ol Cougar and drove west to MN...after getting apt. here beforehand and stuff...and retirement from film biz... long story.

Anyway, at least Bob was cool about sharing his place. But Sam had been there the previous year ( painting billboards ) and while there SAM had a STROKE !  OMG !  Now you got two clowns with strokes and major problems re: who cooks, who cleans up, who does what, when etc... like the odd couple but way more compicated. Then SAL gets sick in CA...something with kidneys or something.. so HE stays at Bob's place TOO ...for a little while...and there is this sorta circus atmosphere in part because there is limited parking for the apt. and stuff like that.. it gets complicated.

hehe.. if I had to 'vote' for the most interesting place to live in NJ it would have to be " bob's apt. " It could easily be a comic reality show.

So anyway, moving on... the portrait of sam would be perfect if I hadn't ruined it...with 2 things...

a) the extra beer.... which happens to be mine... I was too stupid to remove it...and it really REALLY bothers me being there.

b) Sam's big foot in foreground... I hate that !

myBeer.jpg

otherwise.. its good. and that's one of his painting of grand central up there...this was just before he moved to France.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been doing AE tutorials and adjusting preferences...and my head is gonna explode.

Also reading some of Todd's help files and boy, I feel bad for him. He has to cover so many versions and 2 OS (win/mac) and a gazillion graphic card, ram and cpu things...I'm surprised HIS head hasn't exploded.

I'm starting out with just now turning multithreading on...with 4 out of 8 cpu's using 3 gb each and will see how things go...I still have no clue what I'm doing really...like, with 32gig and 8 cpu's what it should really be set at...

I did some blur thing ...put map off screen and animated it into frame ( position ) and turned on that blur thing ( with global blur turned on too ) and it didnt get as blurry as I thought it would.  weird. There doesn't seem to be a way to make it 'more' blurry ...

I think basically I am having some issues with setting up the monitor(s) so I really see what I should be seeing close to final product... like the prPro thing with the map looking different when static as opposed to playing or clicking on the CTI...

what fun !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some blur thing ...put map off screen and animated it into frame ( position ) and turned on that blur thing ( with global blur turned on too ) and it didnt get as blurry as I thought it would.  weird. There doesn't seem to be a way to make it 'more' blurry ...

Did you try the camera depth of field effect?

MoundMap.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oooooooooo   I LIKE that depth of field thing Joe...

can you widen out that shot to include of the incorporated city of Mound ( is a bit raggedy and ill defined..but is basically spring park and mound )...mostly focusing on the lake minnetonka frontage ....like route 15 , 110 a bit down south from your shot, and and west a bit toward st. bonnifacious (sp? ). The thing is, it was part of minnetrista and then got incorporated into it's own city about 100 years ago...so the borders are mushy...especially with school district and cops etc...as they share stuff..

Can you start wide to include the whole city of mound, and then focus in toward the beach area ?? I can give you lat lon coords for what was ( in the late 1800s when it was hometeaded ) for what was known as 'busy corners '....basically 4 log cabins that got built ...and the start of mound sorta.

sooo, it starts wider....zooms in and pans to the busy corner thing...

with no labels and green water can be blue ? can you make it ripple a little like water ?... hehe....and put nice island in water with lots of cranes flying around it ? ( steamboat with tourists used to go by the island and blow its whistle to make the birds scramble into the air and amuse the tourists ! )

Eventually all the birds left cause some tornado destroyed all the trees and stuff they liked to hang out on.. I don't think the daily whistle blowing helped much either...IMO...

can you make it 1080p 30fps and about 20 secs ?.....I can give you a big credit at end of documentary, and you can have my first born male child if he can be found ( last seen in brooklyn )...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no , Steve, I didnt know that...can you show me screen shots of those 2 settings ??

I'm such an IDIOT !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

There are two settings, one for playback and one for pause. Yours might be set wrong. Look in the flyout menu of the Program Monitor panel.

Edit: I see that Joe already pointed out the menus for you.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oooooooooo   I LIKE that depth of field thing Joe...

Where are you getting your map art?

Are they providing you with high-res stuff?

This sample was just a screen grab from Google maps.

note:

With this method, you would probably be better served by animating

the camera (maybe attached to a Null) instead of the map image itself.

And:

resolutions.png

Also, I can help out with your map animation(s) if you get good art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe, the weird stuff re: screen ( playback etc ) is AE...( not prepro) but little by little I am sorta figuring it out ...due to the zoom setting and size of original source stuff..and so on... I'm kinda stumbling along with that okay..so far using only one monitor for AE cause I'm doing tutorials on mouse with the other monitor while I run AE.  Besides ...the blur effect like that tutorial is probably something I would never in a gazillion years actually USE in a film etc...just trying to iron out all the nuts and bolts of the thing so I am not clueless later on .. I think I'll use AE mostly for arrows on maps , draw lines ( animated ) showing routes traveled, titles and stuff like that...for this project...

re: what they provide.. there is NO " they " ...it's me. And basically getting material so far from online resources...like these..but certainly not limited to these..as I've been researching reading and gathering for about a year...minus time to buy hardware and test that junk...

http://www.minnehahacreek.org/sites/minnehahacreek.org/files/pdfs/what-can-i-do/Minnehaha_Design_201...

http://www.mngeo.state.mn.us/chouse/mapgallery.html

http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/

That gives you gist of what I've been looking at in general...

I have stuff saved to Hard Dr but they are big files and dont wanna waste your time and talent..so lets yap about this for real. I think I can send you a nice NED map of MN. with high enough res to zoom into mound area in question...and some overlay maps to denote actual boundries and towns etc...including first plats surveyed... have them already saved....

But the part I thought you might help with is the denotation of 'modern' area right after I describe the last glacier period and the basic NED thing.. yours would be about 3rd in clips of map stuff to denote area....Then I would cut to live video showing lake, shores, etc...probably pristine with no houses and roads...( probably go north to canada for those shots )... and so on.

damn.. was gonna send small samples but g raid isnt hooked up now to mouse...they are on mouse...and in the pig now too.

will send stuff to show ideas...small sizes to get gist of idea...if thats okay ??

thanks !

ps. I will pay you what I can after you figure out whats up and we yap..its my own pocket.. there is no " they ".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"They" would be your clients.

Just thinking that "They" might have access to,

or knowledge of resources you can employ in your video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no clients.. this project is my own.. I got all this stuff the past year to do my own thing...

YIPEE !  AND GUESS WHAT ? ! YES ! ITS BEER THIRTY !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assumed since you were hangin' with the Mayor and City Manager

that this was a project contracted with the city itself...

Are you doing this whole thing on spec?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes.. I explain more..

I've been in face to face meetings with usgs guy for this area.. and we went over publications and maps he has re: last glacial period..that stuff is available ..but some of it is very technical and just data on line drawings ( ice thickness and movement over time).. so would have to be overlayed with real current topography.

The univ in St. Paul guy is gonna maybe do a 3d rotating map of that stuff ( with ice ) after I meet him next week.

On cam interview with Tim ( first usgs guy mentioned ) will cover the basics as per story telling. intercut with map stuff and graphics etc.

then we get to time marching on...sioux treaty, homesteading, current topography.. this is where your clip comes in...we 'discover' the lake area ( young soldiers from fort snelling moving across Miss river and indians have moved further west and wont kill them basically is the idea ).. this is the start of homesteading period ...)...and then see what it is now...your clip... and your clip is the end of identifying the more or less exact boundries of 'current' INC city of Mound.

make sense ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not spec.. nobody is gonna buy.. I am doing this on my own

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they like it ( locals, museums, historical societies, etc ) cause they love the area and so on.. has nothing to do with money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for funsies?

Ya gotta monetize your work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe.. you got THAT right ...

But I did that for a long time working for wages freelance... as grip... and now I wanna make something cool and perfect...to be proud of ( not proud of ME..but of the media and what can be done etc )..and tell a cool story people might like...

I'd like to be proud of the product...is what Im saying..

so in a way it is for fun but not really. it is for the justification of my life working on movies and tv things which historically have not always been the best products for mankind IMO..and once in a while being really GOOD for mankind...but just doing the best I could as a freelancer... and also of course get paid and so on...

It was never 'easy' to do that... as we all competed ( all free lancers compete to be the one hired on next job )... and I did that a long time.

Now I wanna make my own thing for the justification of all that...in a way.. and also ( probably more importantly ) to just DO SOMETHING ...without motivation being to ' get hired '.

I'm sure you've heard stories about how some people have to work cause they just have to work. And money has nothing to do with it.. even though they get a gazillion dollars to do it ...

Some actors donate their 'time and talent' to public service commercials, or documentaries or take time out to go to some actors studio to help "teach" youngsters" about acting.. that sort of thing... it's not much different...

Shooternz made nice egg pics cause he loves to do it... for illustration of the egg.. and Steve has nothing to do with it, even though Steve benefits from it.  I can't explain it.. but monetizing is only after the fact with this.. I'm not gonna dwell on that end of it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't do what makes you happy after you retire, when the heck you do it? I think it si great!

I like the idea of deciding that somethhing needs to be done, and doing it.

I am really looking forward to seeing this project.

I will get you those screen shots when I get home to my editing PC.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven Gotz wrote:

If you can't do what makes you happy after you retire, when the heck you do it? I think it si great!

I like the idea of deciding that somethhing needs to be done, and doing it.

I am really looking forward to seeing this project.

I will get you those screen shots when I get home to my editing PC.

Sure thing, Steven

Sadly a lot of people do not get that possibility, because of the physical state or something else, so when you get the chance, grab it!!

Ulf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines