• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

News on Premiere Next at Adobe Max

Advocate ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Join us today at our #AdobeMAX keynote, live at 9:30 a.m. PT with CEO Shantanu Narayen and SVP @DWadhwani: http://adobe.ly/AdobeNext

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1857 Replies 1857
Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Jim, what if I change my profession or simply retire and don't want to pay the 79$/month anymore

The same thing that would happen if you stopped paying on a car lease.  If you ever need to drive again, you pay the short term rental rates at Enterprise.  (They'll even pick you up. )

Non a good analogy I'm afraid.  Most of us own our cars so it simply doesn't apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

The same thing that would happen if you stopped paying on a car lease.

Counter argument is going to be: "But I have the option to buy my leased car outright."

I realize this is not a popular analogy, but I still think it's better to compare the Creative Cloud to your internet or electricity bill.  Adobe is repositioning itself in that it is providing a service vs a product.  That's exactly what your phone, internet, cable, electricity, etc is like.  And for those who say leases are stupid, they would never do such a thing, I can promise you they are all paying for some or all of the aforementioned services, begrudgingly or otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is not a popular analogy, but I still think it's better to compare the Creative Cloud to your internet or electricity bill.  Adobe is repositioning itself in that it is providing a service vs a product.  That's exactly what your phone, internet, cable, electricity, etc is like.  And for those who say leases are stupid, they would never do such a thing, I can promise you they are all paying for some or all of the aforementioned services, begrudgingly or otherwise.

Yeah but I don't need my electricity or water that I used four years ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

who the hell am i kidding. i'll probably eventually switch like everyone else. was lookinag at the license for CS6 upgrade but I can get two years of creative cloud at the teacher rate for the upgrade price. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ntreuter wrote:

who the hell am i kidding. i'll probably eventually switch like everyone else. was lookinag at the license for CS6 upgrade but I can get two years of creative cloud at the teacher rate for the upgrade price. 😕

After being on the cloud for a year I can honestly tell you most of the expressed concerns are unwarranted.  Your decision to drop Adobe shouldn't be on account of this, it should be because they start making crappy software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After being on the cloud for a year I can honestly tell you most of the expressed concerns are unwarranted.  Your decision to drop Adobe shouldn't be on account of this, it should be because they start making crappy software. 

Ahhhh...fresh air!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nt -  guess I just don't like the ambiguity of it. I don't like being "locked in" ... especially if I only want to use the software occasionally, or I become more of an infrequent user. Sometimes I use the software all the time. Other times I use it only once a month, twice a month. Or I might use Premiere for 3 weeks straight and then not touch it for six weeks. And that's why boxed solutions that I hang on to for several years have worked out really well for me.

I feel the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ntreuter wrote:

Yeah but I don't need my electricity or water that I used four years ago

Well, in running with that point... if you cancel your electricity you can't run your TV with the electricity you used four years ago.  You have to start paying again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nt-who the hell am i kidding. i'll probably eventually switch like everyone else.

Wrong. Everyone else isnt switching. If you dont take a stand and vote with your wallet, then Adobe has effectively strong armed you into their rental scheme.

Im sticking with CS6 which is the best its ever been. Improvements made in it are minimal and not earth shattering. Stay strong 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even the internet bill is not a good analogy. If I'm not happy with my internet service provider, I can simply change the company.

In your analogy it would be like I would always have to use the same internet company no matter what or just stay out of internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you figure that Andy?  People are already discussing at length the alternate "internet companies" they might use if they decide to drop Adobe.  File compatibility makes it inconvenient, sure, but it's not impossible.  Adobe has less of a stranglehold on the creative software market than your local cable, electricity, phone companies do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so one more post.

The point is Adobe does not care if I, in the majority of their customers, am happy. They do not care what I, in the majority of their customers, want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim

You are totally wrong, the releases will be slower, the bug fixes slower

I am not worried about old projects, but I am about being ripped off and that is precisely what Adobe is trying to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are totally wrong, the releases will be slower, the bug fixes slower

Damn.  That sucks.  Hey, can you do me a solid?  Hop back in that time machine and let me know who's going to win the next 10 Superbowls.  I want to place a few bets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is Adobe does not care if I, in the majority of their customers, am happy. They do not care what I, in the majority of their customers, want.

Not caring and going in a direction you don't like due to a multitude of factors are two different things.  Given Adobe's track record these last few years, given their attention to user requests, it's more likely the latter is true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why not move over to another piece of editing software

Edius works better than Premiere, it can handle more layers, it does not need as expensive a PC to run it, it is rock stable, its effects are better than Premiere especially on color correction.

Edius is available on a crossgrade offer very cheap at present

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why not move over to another piece of editing software

The Cloud currently suits my financial and feature needs.  If it ever doesn't I probably will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What users have requested to kill the box?

What factors?

I have owned my business for many years. If you want to stay in business and make money, you have to make the customer happy. What don't you understand about the fact that MORE people DO NOT WANT the cloud, than do? I don't know how many total customers Adobe has, but I would guess that the cloud customers make up a third at most. It is completely stupid to piss off over half of your current customers. Adobe is making money. If they were losing money due to piracy I could understand. But this is just a move to make more money.

I just realized that it's time to get out, regardless of what Adobe decides to do from here. A company that makes a decission that they know will anger their customers (it's in an earlier post) is a dangerous company to do business with. They have given no guarentee of when, or how many updates/upgrades will be introduced. They don't have to do anything. They haven't agreed to it. They said that they will be able to, but not that they would.

Damn, I hate losing a good product to stupid management decissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What factors?

You'd probably have to be a fly on the wall at Adobe to know that, and I've never been able to decipher Jeff Goldblum's notes, so...

I don't know

I would guess

That's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, are you actually reading, and thinking about what others are saying? Or are you just in defensive mode?

What is the problem with wanting a box available for purchase?

Why do you think that it is okay for Adobe to make it so that I can never go farther than CS6, without paying rent?

The whole issue is wanting to have the program in my hands, to use as I need, when I need, without being stuck with a monthly payment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the problem with wanting a box available for purchase?

Nothing, really.  It's the irrationality and fear I'm fighting against.  So many people seem worried about things that, in their cynical view, might happen.

Well, cynicism rarely makes for rational discourse.  So...I correct, I provide data, I jibe, I offer experience, and I praise when I do see some sanity injected here by another user.

Why do you think that it is okay for Adobe to make it so that I can never go farther than CS6, without paying rent?

I guess I'm just not a cynic.  I've been using the Cloud for a year, and from where I sit, most (not all) of what I see is here is just plain paranoia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Along with what Jim said I would suggest that you ask yourself how you regard Adobe beyond this pricing issue.  Do you anticipate that they are a company that will strive to meet your creative needs and provide software that you are excited about using?  If the answer is yes then all the speculation about "How do I access old projects when I stop using Cloud" becomes moot.  If the answer is "no" then I wonder if you've been dealing with the same company I have for the past decade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See right there?  More sanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Along with what Jim said I would suggest that you ask yourself how you regard Adobe beyond this pricing issue.  Do you anticipate that they are a company that will strive to meet your creative needs and provide software that you are excited about using?

The evidence is strongly pointing that Adobe will rather strive to make as much money as possible than to develop major new features or listen to it's loyal customers.

I don't blame them really since they are a publicly traded company with their only real goal to please the stock holders. This is how life works. I simply refuse to make myself depend on such a company. When I can vote with my wallet if their new version warrants an upgraid purchase, that's all fine. But Adobe wants a situation in which I have to upgrade no matter how little new features they create.

Jim you can be a happy puppie for now. Will you be as happy when the subscription price goes up and you realize you simply have to bite the bullet because there is no real way out?

You can also call me paranoid for something that HAS already happened. If someone would have told me Adobe is going to do this to it's customes 5 years ago, I would have called THEM paranoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The evidence is strongly pointing that Adobe will rather strive to make as much money as possible than to develop major new features or listen to it's loyal customers.

This evidence being?  (Because the last few cycles have shown the exact opposite.  And an Adobe employee has stated the opposite as well, so you have a tough case to prove here.)

Will you be as happy when the subscription price goes up and you realize you simply have to bite the bullet because there is no real way out?

Depends on how much it goes up and whether the total feature set is still worth it compared to moving to another NLE.  I'll make that decision when it arrives, based on real data to hand, not imagined data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines