• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

News on Premiere Next at Adobe Max

Advocate ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Join us today at our #AdobeMAX keynote, live at 9:30 a.m. PT with CEO Shantanu Narayen and SVP @DWadhwani: http://adobe.ly/AdobeNext

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1857 Replies 1857
Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This evidence being?  (Because the last few cycles have shown the exact opposite.  And an Adobe employee has stated the opposite as well, so you have a tough case to prove here.)

-The lack of major new features in AE, Premiere, Encore, Dreamweaver.. Just look at how many features Blender gets every year, and that software is being built for free! AE didn't even get timeline folders even when people have asked years and years for such a simple feature.

-Poor quality of new features (AE's rotobrush anyone?)

-Severe bugs that don't get fixed (Premieres AVCHD bug)

-Sudden discontinuation of several products (OnLocation, Flash Catalyst..) without warning

-This surprise move with the forced subscription right here, without warning, without asking the opinion of existing customers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-The lack of major new features in AE, Premiere, Encore, Dreamweaver.

Encore is a bit stale, I'll grant you.  But both PP and AE have gotten what I consider to be major new features in CS4, 5 and 6.  (I did find 5.5 a little light).  And a LOT of the smaller features have been directly because of user requests.  I just don't use Dreamweaver or Blender.  And dropping OnLocation, especially with the industry-wide move to a preponderance of tapeless media, has little to do with the development of other programs.

So far, I don't feel you've made your case that Adobe has stalled on feature development the past few years.

-This surprise move with the forced subscription right here, without warning, without asking the opinion of existing customers

You sure they didn't get any feedback?  I don't know if they did or not.  I only know they didn't talk to me.  Even if they didn't, it's just not enough to make your case that Adobe is stalled on features or doesn't listen to it's customers.  It rather sounds much like a child who doesn't get what he wants whining about Mom or Dad never listening, all the while entirely forgetting all the times Mom and Dad said yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But both PP and AE have gotten what I consider to be major new features in CS4, 5 and 6.  (I did find 5.5 a little light).

Please elaborate what the major new features of CS5 and CS6 for AE were? And what was the major must-have feature for Premiere CS6? 

And a LOT of the smaller features have been directly because of user requests.

Like what? I still don't see timeline folders in AE. That's a tiny feature that has been requested for years and years. Often they have made changes that actually make the software worse. Like crippling markers in Premiere, or introducing the track targeting which makes copy-pasting more work.

It rather sounds much like a child who doesn't get what he wants whining about Mom or Dad never listening, all the while entirely forgetting all the times Mom and Dad said yes.

If you like to imagine it like that then great for you. But this child will simply stop giving his money to Adobe and feels the need to explain the reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, enjoy your cloud cause your head is definately in it.

At current, Adobe has lost my business. $2500 over the next 5 years aprox. Small maybe. But I'm sure there are at least 1000 other people just like me. That equals $2.5 million. Adobe is going to lose a large amount of money which could lead to higher monthly fees, less money for developement, possibly even the end of business.

That's alot to lose just because they want more money now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2500 people have signed the petition and the number keep growing:

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-su...

We are not alone in this. I also predict that Google Trends will show massive increases in competitor searches like Gimp, Blender, inkscape etc. That might get the attention of the executives.

I'm pretty sure Adobe will eventually backtrack this policy. If I will stay around to wait for that is another question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, enjoy your cloud cause your head is definitely in it.

OK, I have to give you props for that one.  Very well constructed jibe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Jim, enjoy your cloud cause your head is definitely in it.

OK, I have to give you props for that one.  Very well constructed jibe.

Thank you. I get them once in a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason R Brandt wrote:

But I'm sure there are at least 1000 other people just like me. That equals $2.5 million.

2.5 million is a drop in the bucket compared to their yearly earnings. And alot of people who don't have issue with the CC subscription will subscribe and more than offset what they will lose on the users who want the licensing. Sad but true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. The rational fear is, I join the cloud. 3 years from now, after amazing updates and added features, I can no longer afford to pay. I lose everything (program wise) that came after CS6. I can no longer use it, it is simply gone. Features that I may have been marketing to my customer due to the new features are now gone, and I am now thrown 3 years into the past as far as the programs go.

It's a real possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years from now I can no longer afford to pay.

If the past has given you genuine cause for concern, then you stick with CS6 for a while.  If you're confident in your ability to earn revenue with the software, then move to the Cloud.  I don't see this as something to be afraid of.  Something to look at and consider rationally based on past performance and future expectations, but not feared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason R Brandt wrote:

Okay. The rational fear is, I join the cloud. 3 years from now, after amazing updates and added features, I can no longer afford to pay. I lose everything (program wise) that came after CS6. I can no longer use it, it is simply gone. Features that I may have been marketing to my customer due to the new features are now gone, and I am now thrown 3 years into the past as far as the programs go.

It's a real possibility.

I just don't get it. If you can no longer afford to pay for it (and not no longer willing to pay for it), that probably means you're out of business. If I go out of business my immediate concerns won't be asking myself if I own some piece of software or not but getting new clients and/or jobs billed as soon as possible. In the worst case scenario I'll pay a one shot month of subscription to get the job done. And if the situation is bad enough to prevent me from spending this amount of money, I'll be a hell lot more worried by thousands of other things than my ownership of Adobe softwares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KGCW wrote:

I'll be a hell lot more worried by thousands of other things than my ownership of Adobe softwares.

Well, let's hope for your sake that everyone else doens't go to this model.  If they do it's going to price a lot of people out of the market. $50 may not sem much to you now (it is more than some people can rely on every single month), but what if everything else you used changed to this model and it suddenly became $1,000 a month, $2,000 a month?  Where is your pain barrier?

However, for me, it's really not the $50 a month as such.  It's the principle.  I paid a lot of money for something that they now want to rent (not sell) upgrades for. 

If they'd like to repay all the money I paid for the perpetual licenses I'm willing to listen with an open mind going forward.  If not, all the money I pay to use upgrades from here on should actually upgrade the license I have on a perpetual basis, otherwise once I start 'renting' I may as well have been using pirate software all along instead of paying them real $$.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExactImage wrote:

Well, let's hope for your sake that everyone else doens't go to this model.  If they do it's going to price a lot of people out of the market. $50 may not sem much to you now (it is more than some people can rely on every single month), but what if everything else you used changed to this model and it suddenly became $1,000 a month, $2,000 a month?  Where is your pain barrier?

Well if the other vendors provide the same cost/value ratio that Adobe does, I have to say you are packing a serious software arsenal at $2000 a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if everything else you used changed to this model and it suddenly became $1,000 a month, $2,000 a month?

See, that's the irrational fear I take issue with.  Assuming inflation isn't to the point where that $1000 is equivalent to today's $50, then I have every confidence that should Adobe go that way, another company would come along and make something we can afford.  That's just the nature of a free market economy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don´t have to grow fees.

What they have done is enough.

This license model is like hiring your own work!

If you won´t otr can´t pay any longer you lose your software and with that the full access to all your work!

NEVER EVER!

I want a lifetime right for the usage of my bought software.

I use Adobe Products for over 20 years and I have realy great archives.

AND:
Once you are fixed on, created work, and can´t go out (because of above) - who will stop adobe to grow it´s prices?
AND:
If I have to pay fees (and no decision to stop) - why should Adobe upgrade their softwrae?
Remember: First they are Money Makers, Second Software Developers.

AND:
If I cant stop paying fees - it is very difficult to change to other Software.

NO! I WANT TO PAY ONCE AND THE ABILITY TO DECIDE!

Can´t hear that cloud sh.t any longer!

I payed thousands of Euros till the last years for my master collection ever up to date.

But this ends NOW!

Arrogant Money Maker Company!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would mean that business is slow enough that a monthly charge is not in the budget. Cameras need to be updated, staff needs to be paid. Supplies need to be ordered.

I've got an idea. Give me $3000 dollars and I'll give you nothing. Sound fair? It'll be the same with the cloud after you've been in it for a while and then leave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give me $3000 dollars and I'll give you nothing. Sound fair? It'll be the same with the cloud after you've been in it for a while and then leave.

More irrationality.  If you want to make that analogy, you'd have to give him something he can use to earn a lot more than $3,000 with, even if you do take it back when he's done with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the situation is bad enough to prevent me from spending this amount of money, I'll be a hell lot more worried by thousands of other things than my ownership of Adobe softwares.

Thank you.  More sanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  More sanity.

That's great Jim Simon. Because people who don't want to give away the freedom to skip unworthy updates must be insane.

The sane thing to do is to bend over and trust a stock company with your lifes work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great Jim Simon. Because people who don't want to give away the freedom to skip unworthy updates must be insane.

Not at all.  It's just some of the fear and arguments being used to support that 'want' are quite irrational.

The sane thing to do is to bend over and trust a stock company with your lifes work.

See, that's the kind of hyperbole I'm talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is, you see all arguments as irrational. For someone who doesn't like the new decission, you've done a really good job defending it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is, you see all arguments as irrational.

See posts 458 and 463.

For someone who doesn't like the new decission

I never said that.  It honestly doesn't bother me, nor would I have a problem with Adobe reversing the decision.

you've done a really good job defending it.

I don't believe I'm doing that, either.  I'm only taking issue with the irrationality and fear-mongering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this belongs in the lounge ... I'm shocked it's still here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

able123 wrote:

this belongs in the lounge ... I'm shocked it's still here...

Here's Jim:

JimSimon1.jpg

JimSimon2.jpg

JimSimon4.png

JimSimon5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe,

I am thinking of some other visuals, and before Matrix... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R706isyDrqI

"the names have all been changed to protect the [guilty], but the story is still the same... "

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines