• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Officially switched to Davinci Resolve... loving it so far.

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So bRAW came out for the BMPCC4K and I realized it was only supported on Davinci Resolve.  Davinci Resolve 15 already had a bunch of game changing workflows that beat Premiere (mainly color) but they totally made their editing more like Premiere.  Now that I shoot bRAW and not .dng I pretty much have made the switch to Davinci over Premiere.  I suspect that I will keep Premiere around just in case I get sent some files that need to be edited in that workflow, but pretty much from here on out I'm using Davinci exclusively.  I hope to phase out Premiere completely by the end of the year.  This bRAW support was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.  It's been out for months, why Premiere waited so long baffles me.  Oh well, see ya later hahahaha!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you switch back to Premiere if there is support for bRAW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few things Premiere would need to do to become number one again in my workflow...  mainly:  COLOR!  I always did the "roundtrip" workflow for color grading in Davinci for the longest time.  I did this because Premiere was a better editor and Davinci was better for color.  Since the v15.0 upgrade in Davinci, a lot of the editing gripes I had have been addressed.  I pretty much use the same hot keys and have the same stacked timelines as Premiere, with the added benefit of world class color grading.  It makes Lumetri seem like a toy in comparison.  Premiere would need to step up either their XML communication with Davinci or just implement 10x better color grading to be able to compete.  I was wary of making the switch because I was so comfortable with Premiere but after the lack of bRAW forced me to make the switch I have since been loving the change and I'm glad I never have to do that god-awful XML workflow ever again.  Having everything under one roof just really makes my workflow faster and less cluttered.

So to answer your question:  bRAW was the catalyst that made me switch, and now that I have, I realize how much better it is on the other side (The Davinci Side!).  I honestly don't see Premiere elevating their color correcting game because they are so far behind on it and I definitely don't see their XML conversions getting any better either.  I'm saving myself the headache of all that back and forth and just sticking to the my output platform, Davinci.  And the biggest deal breaker is I no longer feel the need to export handled ProRes "colored" Davinci files back into Premiere for a final edit, taking up wayyyy more hard drive space.  I just finish the edit in Davinci and export one final master edit.  This save SOOOOOOO much hard drive space and is way more ideal for me moving forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having everything under one roof just really makes my workflow faster and less cluttered.

I really enjoy that as well.  Adobe would have to offer the equivalent of Prelude, Premiere Pro, After Effects, SpeedGrade and Audition in one single program to equal the functionality offered by the free DaVinci Resolve.

When you consider that Adobe no longer even develops SpeedGrade, it's pretty clear how far behind they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No support for Mac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the shoddy support for cDNG that Premiere Pro offers, I made that same switch a while back specifically because of cDNG.  I don't know how you got by in PP with that media.  The functionality is soooo limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you no longer use Adobe Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I haven't been able to since I bought the Blackmagic Pocket cameras, shooting CinemaDNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines