Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2011 Apr 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I need to know.... How much will the upgrade from CS5 Prod Premium cost me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get all of the details at the Adobe.com store to find out about eligibility, costs, etc.  In your case, CS5 Production Premium to CS5.5 Production Premium has a US cost of $399.00.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No more Soundbooth in Production Premium Suite? Replaced with Audition? Dynamic LInk between PPro & Audition? About time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is actually different/new?

This page (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere.html) is really bad and does not clearly show what's new and different!

Adobe definitely need to improve their page layout, and actually let people know what is new/different in a clear concise way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is actually different/new?

I do agree that a comparison matrix would be helpful, but you might find out more here: New since CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you beat me to it Colin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and if you are interested in the new Audition/Premiere Pro roundtrip editing features look here http://www.adobe.com/products/audition.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naturally, because I bought CS5 under a year ago, the 5.5 upgrade will be free.

Won't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naturally, because I bought CS5 under a year ago, the 5.5 upgrade will be free.

Won't it?

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but either way, naturally it won't. The only way you'd get a free 5.5 upgrade is if you purchased CS5 between today and CS5.5's release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way you'd get a free 5.5 upgrade is if you purchased CS5 between today and CS5.5's release.

Any customer who has purchased CS5 from March 11th to now is entitled to a free upgrade.  If you purchased from Adobe.com, you will be emailed directly.  If you purchased through a dealer or other means, contact customer service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification, Dennis. I don't recall Adobe going back "so far" with the free upgrade cut-off date.

My point was that we've all had CS5 for less than a year (give or take), so there is only a specific window in which an upgrade can be free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't you make it February? To be sure the 1. of February . I just made the upgrade ...so my budget is spent. We will see next year on that but only if it is worth the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work out to be cheaper, by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe the new subscription model might help: Buying guide : Subscriptions | Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subscription will for sure help some people doing business on a case by case basis (or for having temporarily an additional license). But in my case it is not interesting. 4month of subscription and I will have paid for the upgrade. I'm not complaining, we upgraded from CS3 to CS5 with brandnew machines so I'm still exploring the new features and I am still happy with the speed of my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 43min video from Jason Levine has been the most useful source of info I've found so far on the whole CS5.5 announcement:

http://tv.adobe.com/go/9281

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya.. actually that video is what prompted me to post looking for price. He did a great job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an awesome video for anyone who wants to see what is new, thanks for posting the link to this !

I am quite intersted in the new graphic cards that have been added, many have been added to the list, according to Jason ( the host of that video ), he also says several laptop graphic cards have been added.  This may be of interest to some.

I did a Google and cannot find what cards have been added, perhaps Adobe has not released that info yet.  It will be interesting to see.

Dave.

Taverino wrote:

This 43min video from Jason Levine has been the most useful source of info I've found so far on the whole CS5.5 announcement:

http://tv.adobe.com/go/9281

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is something which many will love.... in PP 5.5

The Unlink command now decouples the audio portion of a clip while automatically  deselecting the video portion. The Unlink command now works on multiple  clips at the same time, as well.

Changed Razor Tracks to Add Edit and Razor All Tracks to Add Edit To All Tracks.

However, this change is just, well, kind of strange.  Razor to me means to "cut" and now it's "add edit " ? doesn't this encompass many different

possibilities ? .... so I wish to "razor" a piece of video,  but now I have to use  "add edit" hmm......... does this mean ....

-add a dissolve ?

- add a shadow ?

- add a mask ?

very very strange it just doesn't make much sense.  No... I just wish to "razor" a piece of video, where's that button ? that's all I want.  Oh right

I'll "add edit" that.... whatever that means 🙂

you watch, Adobe will go back to "razor" in version 6.0, why ? so they can say it's a major "upgrade" and that you need it  LOL :-))

Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see anything about Encore being updated. Woulda been nice. Guess we'll hafta wait for CS6 for that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone explain to me why this is a good deal?

My guess is, with the limited number of new features, maybe 10% of CS5 users will upgrade. Adobe would have made more money by charging $99. and getting 50% of users to upgrade. Plus, their customers would be much happier.

The only significant new feature (other than closed captioning support in PPro, which few will use) is the inclusion of Audition. Adobe should offer a significant discount to folks who already own the current version of Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help but agree with Eric.

We just got CS5 March 1, along with Soundbooth, and now we're not eligible for upgrade because we missed it by 10 days. Doesn't the 11th seem like an odd date? Why not the first?

Shoot... if it weren't for my bad luck, I wouldn't have any.

Guess I'll have to do more research before making a final decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help but disagree. If you're a pro, there is a lot in this update that will appeal to you. The integration and capabilities of Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, and Media Encoder definitely appear to have gotten a workover that continues to fire shots across the bow of the other "A" NLEs. If the features alone aren't enough to convince you, it should stand to reason that there has been work done in the realm of speed and stability; that should appeal to everyone.

If you're a more casual user of Premiere, perhaps the $400 price tag (for the bundle) seems steep; for a professional, that's a fee that will quickly be offset by the enhancements that appear to have made it into this release. As always, caveat emptor...

Jay: I suspect the March 11th date is due to it being one month prior to the announcement date, April 11th.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin, I should have said "Premiere Pro CS5," instead of just CS5. It appears the presumption is I bought the suite. I did not.

Sorry for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are always too late or too early!

Any date is arbitrary, but March eleven seemed to be very logical!

Priceing for Software is also something arbitrary as the direct costs are minimal, but marketing and development take a major part of the costs inolved (compared to a hardware item like a car or a house). But for sure, the upgrade price for any product I buy could be lower .

As Colin said: If you are a pro, you will need to decide if there is an Advantage big enough for you to put the cash on the table.

Lucien.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines