• Noobs that refuse to RTFM
  • FCP converts that persist in converting to intermediate formats
  • Noobs that use non-editable material and complain all the time
  • Jungfrau marathon after 37.8 km

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe.. I like my nuts roasted in oven rather than open fire.  Or they can be roasted in any number of forum threads I guess.

In NY they USED to have a gazillion guys roasting them in the park ( CP ). All Autumn long and Winter, nice hot fresh roasted chestnuts served in paper bags. YUM ! Just peel and eat as you walk through park. Throw shells with whatever clings to them on ground. Squirrels loved that too !

That all changed over the years. The latest push has been with Bloomberg wanting to turn NY into some fictional Parisian - like CITY , where horses are DIRTY ANIMALS ( get rid of those horrible horses and carriages , OMG they are SOOOOO DIRTY ! ).. AND all those chestnut guys would have to pay about a gazillion dollars for permits to roast nuts and sell them cheap to people.

So, the upshot is that NO, there are no more roasted chestnuts in NYC and if you don't hurry up you may never see a horse in CP either.. as they are ANIMALS !  OMG !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realize that in NYC you are not ALLOWED TO SMOKE CIGARETTES now in Central Park ?  Because of Bloomberg, the scourge of mankind in human guise ?

Imagine the horrible STENCH of horse poop !  Imagine the unsavory smell of ROASTING CHESTNUTS ( a poor person's love and not anywhere near the aroma of , say, an

Almond Encrusted MonkFish with Beurre Blanc Sauce )

yuck. Thank God he couldn't buy his way into another term.

He probably has some little apartment somewhere to meet Scott Rudin and yap about his hopeful part in 'Kinky Boots 2 ' , to launch his next career as a freak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just to get this off my chest. about NYC and bloomberg ( the nightmare in human form ).

Throughout history the celebration of New Years Eve was basically a countdown, a celebration, and the singing of

Auld Lang Syne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne

Think about that a minute.

Bloomberg turned it into singing NEW YORK NEW YORK ( sinatra and billy joel stuff ).

FOR YEARS there was a band that played at places for new years ( forget name of it now, was my parents time basically but I liked it too ).  oh.. found it...

Guy Lombardo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Lombardo

That was new years celebration. was for everyone. all people, all cities, every cool place with cool people in the nation and around the world.

BLOOMBERG turned it into a promo for NYC.. playing ' new york new york ' through speakers in times square that are the size of 16 story buildings.

That is disgusting, and is a flagrant disregard and insult to all the nation and all the cool towns, cities and peoples who celebrate that moment.

what an insurmountable ass he is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tody is the big " short ribs " cooked in new pressure cooker / slow cooker combo thing experiment...

is scary, but what the heck.. if I dont try new stuff I wont figure out the best way to cook stuff etc...

Here is George's fairly new cafe monte promo. He's a really good food guy, but is getting into people stuff too ...too bad 'monte' has to read from cue cards...sheesh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TisZtEmWIbc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this guy Brian at cinemanix is really cool. He helped me get a handle on some video stuff when I was learning cs3 and trying to stuff red stuff into mouse.

is doing nice work

http://www.cinemanix.com/quaker_steak/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hate it when ....

you do something you think will be easy and turns into can of WORMS !

LIKE...

Turned on my "games' on the mouse earlier today.  how cool !  played chess for like 4 moves on " easy " setting and realized I'm AN IDIOT !

But anyway, on way to turning on games there was this thing to click to " determine my computer gaming rating " so I clicked it...

Then my whole desktop changed ...and all my windows started to open and close with this slow dreamy kinda " fading " effect...

Then I got really UGLY drop shadows under the icon text... which took about an hour to figure out how to turn OFF....

hehe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now if you are getting into "gaming," you might want to drive to Mall of the Americas, and get in line for the new Sony PS4. I hear that it is being released about now. Seems that it is starting out with a very high popularity rating, but will be interested to see if that holds up. Some folk just HAVE to have the very latest whatever - phone, Playstation, toaster, coffeemaker...

Happy shopping!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe.. mall of america.  yikes !

I played chess again.

" HA, " I said to the computer when I checkmated its mousey brain !

Of course I have the setting on 1 out of 10 for mouse brain chess fuel... but still... I felt good.

Man, that short rib stuff came out GREAT !  YUM !  So now I have 2 new things I can make.  Fr Onion Soup and Short Ribs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that the Short Ribs were very good.

If you get by a Williams-Sonoma store, look for their "Short Ribs Starter" sauce. I give that one high marks.

Now, their Turkey Gravy tastes like it's made from wallpaper paste, so not everything there is good - trial and error.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall you mentioned that earlier... about the Wm. S. stuff.... you're gonna laugh, but I made mine with some coca cola and it was fantastic. Basically you end up with a beefy sauce that is very slightly sweet ( I cooked it down a lot ....pressure cook 35min and then slow cook 4 hours ). The general rumor as per coke use is that some of the acid or whatever is in the coke sorta helps break down the fiber of the short ribs. I have no clue. This was recipe idea from local guy at food store ( the coke idea ).  It WAS really good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acids DO break down protien, and that is one reason that wine, vinegar and products like Lea & Perrin (contins vinegar) are used. Works with some seafood, as well, and that is why one often sees it soaked in lemon, or lime juice. Works great with Ahi Tuna, diced finely, for Poke - a staple in Hawai`i.

Happy cooking!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahh.. thats interesting. I haven't been into the chemical stuff with cooking ever in my life. I do remember my girlfriend making some seafood thing ( with my help ) for the crowd of guests at our summer rental in Rhode Is. ( took beach house during 4th of July week for a few years ). Some kinda lime juice soaked seafood stuff that soaked in fridge over night ( think it was sorta mexican thing ? ). At any rate the process " cooked" ( if thats the word ? ) the seafood stuff in the juice , even though nothing was cooked.

Tasted good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that lime juice thing or whatever it was ... involved sea scallops I'm pretty sure ( as one of the ingredients ).. and even though the house we rented was on shore literally a few miles from Point Judith ( an at that time hot shot location for a bunch of commercial fishing boats who were mostly Portugeese (sp ? ) people ...probably like 4th generation ? ....I couldn't GET fresh sea scallops at the nearby giant fish distributer store.. so I got a big box of frozen sea scallops they had in their freezer.

So there I am, on the sea, with a seaport down the block, and I am buying these frozen sea scallops by the kilo for our appetizer thing.  Pretty funny.

Luckily on the way back to the rental I ran across a construction site that had some aluminum siding " scraps " ( for gutters or flashing ? ) that were V shaped.  I got about 7 feet of that stuff and put in car and went back to rental with scallops and other sea stuff and that very cool alum stuff...

Later that night I used the alum siding stuff as a launch pad for ROCKETS from china .... which you could now shoot very accurately from your shoulder ( like a bazooka ).

was fun. Aimed at some little boats out there and the rockets sorta 'exploded' at the end of their flight... and it looked really cool to see the little boats run away !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be interesting to film people.. but anyway, believe it or NOT the fireworks I got were from this jewish white guy who was at the time Whoopie Goldberg's main squeeze. That is to say,  they were a pair of maniacs living together and in love. And the guy was a DP or something. Forget his name. He was into selling this firework stuff even though in NY ( and this is going back a real long time even before Bloomberg spent 12 years ruining NY for normal people ) had a law against fireworks.

You probably don't realize it but you cant have fun in NY with fireworks cause if you shoot off a firework you will get arrested and thrown into a " chinese work camp for realignment of your ethics and morality ".

I think Bloomberg is gonna run for the next premiere of china if he can do it as an independent ( he's not a team player ).

anyway, that's the truth. I got the fireworks from Whoopies boyfriend and they were really cool.

She musta be cool too , to put up with that guy and his crazy firework obsession. Now they probably call each other warthogs ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of "Bloomie," I think that he will look like a flaming conservative, compared to De Blasio, but one gets what one votes for. At least NYC has a new "sister city," Havana.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

back in the 1800's it was discovered that if you put the word " science " in front of things , everyone got really excited about it. Loved it !  Even today many things get the word science put in front and everyone loves it !  The science of cooking, the science of animal husbandry, the science of editing movies, the science of religion, the science of politics ( political science ), the science of society ( social science ). The list is endless.

Now it's also cool to have the science of evolution, the science of anthropology, the science of CGI, the science of Information Technology, and of course the science of scary snakes !

A long time ago a "scientific method" was developed by scientists ( most of them real scientists ) to kinda keep science with integrity. This is basically called the controlled experiment methodology. Now there are polls that take the place of that methodology. Or just simply nothing takes the place of the scientific controlled experiment. Just spin it with declarations. The science of ECONOMY for example.

No human on earth has EVER understood the means by which economies prosper or fail, nor how empires have prospered and failed. And if humans evolved from monkeys how come there's still monkeys ? No humans have EVER understood more than HALF of what is nowadays precluded by the word " science "

So I'll leave it up to the social science people, political science people and the now hot shot " group of 8, group of 12  and group of 20 " guys and gals to let me know what happened down the road when I am feeding my pet turtles with slight dementia at the age of 70. I will be in tune with the European Central Bank, the FED, and the World Monetary Fund as long as I can understand one iota of what those people think they are in control of.

The great social engineering by dictatorships and masters of the universe TODAY will no doubt NEVER approach those horrific movements of the past that ended up being so harmful to the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one MORE THING ( in case you're not sick of me already )

This new fangled 'science' of communication in a new world with smart phones, ipads, tablets and so on.. .where market share in terms of sales is leaning toward the death of desktop computers and the birth of mobile devices ( with little in the way of keyboards for touch type and or control via mice and other controllers ).. leads me to the CEO of Adobe.

We have new digital cameras every day. Most now come with software ( free with cameras ) to manipulate images and video.

We have an old system of entertainment distribution on its way out ... music is already down the dump ( no more records, CD's etc ). Newspapers and books , pretty much on the last breath as hard copies. Movies and TV shows, pretty much dead ducks via networks and the old hollywood studios who were also the distributers of product.

The CEO has decided that he's all for this new world of mobile stuff and is gonna embrace the future. Mostly by first off all offereing the cloud stuff multi platform. That gets his base of customers into a revenue stream more or less where metrics can determine some future for the company. Then the next step is to figure the death of distribution of the old school means no more DVD and BD stuff. So get rid of that support. The FLV SW stuff, already history due to Html5 and lack of cross platform support. Plus ( most dont realize this ) the search engines can't dig into the FLV sites like they can with the html5 sites. Get it ?  You are a giant company with world wide presence and build a site based on flash, and guess what ? The search engines dont see it.  No text per page to latch onto for keywords etc.

So the CEO goes into his room and takes off his shoes and puts on his slippers, and thinks about all this stuff... and guess what ? He comes up with an answer that satisfies his insitutional investors and creditors and spins a yarn about the brave new world of the cloud and how everyone will collaborate tomorrow to make great stuff AND MONETIZE IT !

what a joke ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I see "the science of cooking," I cannot help but think about Morgus the Magnificent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-tPQhbz5l4

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe.. what a hoot that guy is... I see he started in NOLA as host to scary movies on TV.  Kinda like "Zachary" in NYC area.

By the way, did you see that youtube morgus video " the day the earth cracked " ? after you get to end of your video you see that as one of the listed videos.

OMG !  I listened to the whole thing and couldnt get my eyes off THAT POSTER PROMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this on TV now....

frank.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember references to John Zacherley, but as he was East Coast (mostly), never really saw him in action. The references came from Famous Monsters Magazine. I do not recall the publisher(s), offhand, but will Google the mag, to refresh my failing memory.

Cool,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it was Warren & Ackerman. I do not recall Warren, but Ackerman was prominent in the magazine. Think that he might have had a brother involved too, but that was so very long ago.

I only got the mag's title partially correct, as it was Famous Monsters of Filmland.

Back, long before Star Trek and the "trekkies," we were into monsters. Somewhere (if the roaches did not eat them), there are about 4 8mm "monster" films, that we did with my father's Kodak movie camera. I do not think that we edited, other than in-camera. Let's just say that our VFX were rather limited to gobs of plaster, and some paint. We had never heard of Woochie prosthetic devices, so our "monsters" were very rudimentary, and as the plaster was hard, not very animated. Still, kicks for a little "film-nerd," way back when.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe.. funny... I woulda LOVED shooting stuff when young like you did with Dad. How cool !

When in grade school ( K thru 5 ? ) I got a little " certificate " from school for running the 16mm projector during various breaks and stuff ( buncha kids in some auditorium watching cartoons and stuff ). I used to panic when film got broke or stuck in gate and you'd see those ugly blobs of BURNING FILM if you didn't shut off the lamp fast enough !  OMG !  hehe.. was fun.  Was my first experience with splicing, making nice 'loops' in mitchell movement, etc.

The kids were ruthless.. would SCREAM their heads off if something bad happened to the film projection

I lived in fear every moment of my early projectionist responsibiliy.

Anyway, fangoria was another big monster mag. The father passed it on to his son, and his son decided to produce a trio of monster movies ( was a deal with below line guys in WI who had a new film studio made from an abandoned girl scout camp in the woods ).  My first "key" jobs were the first 2 of those movies and I got fired before the last of the 3 ( I was wild in those days ).

Hope the kid made out okay. The 3rd was so bad it never got released ( had oliver reed as the lead in the 3rd one ).  From what I heard, several bad things happened during the production of 3rd movie. They woulda been better off to keep ME ON IMO.  What happened was, the girlfriend of one of the 2 producers who owned studio ran off with all their money one day. Just opened safe, took money and left.  About the same time the new key grip took the entire grip dept. paychecks ( on those days it was cash in envelopes ) and ran away to Chigago and bought about a pound of cocaine, and was never seen again.  Then oliver reed got really drunk every day and didn't wanna work unless one of the producer guys would wrestle with him in the dirt first. Oliver was a good wrestler.

hehe... you can see one of the producer guys as the one who did those scary movies about some guy who has a lot of pins stuck in his head.

Mine were children of the night and timewarp or something.  Children of the night went pretty well except when karen black REALLY BIT the young girl playing a lead part. She would yell, " OW, YOU'RE HURTING ME ! " .. then you would hear " CUT " and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an FLV file for that prime suspect pilot editing I did from DVDs. You know, the one I did and then tried to get in touch with peter berg through his agent about how cool he could use adobe Ppro on laptop to breeze through dailies etc ( once divided into video levels for cam1 cam2 cam3 etc. ). The agent called Nan and Nan called ME and boy, my ears were burning from THAT FIASCO of attempt to help out.

Nan was really cool about it though, thank goodness. She's nice.

Anyway, like I said, I have this FLV thing. So now that I have cs6 creative suite I decided to do a quick flash thing for my website. OMG, what a nightmare !

making the swf file after saving the fla project, importing the flv file and making this stuff actually WORK is a freakin nightmare.

It worked in chrome but not IE. So now I'm backtracking and trying to add a WMV media file to the web page instead. The only problem with THAT is that the file is about a gazillion billion megabytes.  So it may take about a day to upload the file to my web server.  In order to make everyone happy about high speed internet service, the upload speeds are about 1 kilobyte per hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines