Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improvements to EXR support - After Effects 17.0

Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXR Improvements was one of our top viewed feature requests on User Voice. After Effects (17.0) includes several improvements to EXR workflows:

• Overall performance improvements when working with EXR files
  • You can now import layered EXR files as compositions to make the compositing process faster
  • Write timecode values from composition into the header info
  • Render EXR with straight alpha
  • It now includes Cryptomatte

Back to After Effects 17.0 New Features post.

TOPICS
FAQ , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still dead slow compared to eg Nuke :< 0.3 fps for main pass exr, 0.1 fps for cryptomatte...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi piotrekm, 

Do you mean to say that you're seeing no performance improvements in this release? Or is it better but not up to the mark? 

Let us know. 

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to try the new feature of importing layered EXR files but  it wont import it while having it checked as import as composition. Working on Win10.

--

Solved 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know that you were able to solve it.

Would you mind letting us know what fixed it so that it helps other people checking this discussion? 

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. It was my failure copying all my plugins from the old AE version. So there was the conflict between the ProEXR plugin from the previous version. Deleted it and everything worked fine for me. 

Hope it can help some people with the same mistake.

Its a great improvement and big timesaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I am losing the metadata when I render out EXR's.  Is there any way to ensure that the metadata sticks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow Up to Matt's Request, would be great if this was possible. It's can read all the meta data through the Pro exr effects. Clients now are asking to have the metadata preserved from the plate and passed back along to the final exr renders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having some serious issues on Windows here. I rendered out a 25 frame 16-bit 1080p EXR sequence in Zips compression to test preview rendering speed between After Effects and DaVinci Resolve (Fusion). There are 16 layers, 9 that make up the beauty and 7 other cryptomatte/puzzlematte/other AOVs that are hidden, nothing crazy. I'm running an overclocked 7980XE and quad overclocked 2080 Ti's so I know it's not a hardware issue, I've also triple checked I'm on all the latest updates and drivers. In After Effects it takes about 1m 45s, and in Fusion it takes 3m 30s. 

I kicked the exact same After Effects project file over to my neighbor on a 10-core iMac Pro, he was able to preview render it in 25 SECONDS! What am I missing here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was happy to read "Render EXR with straight alpha" ... but seems not to work here.  (v17.04)

when i select RGB + Alpha, it defaults to premultiplied and is greyed out.

is there a trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above post I am also experiencing the same issue, and unable to render RGB+A with a Straight Alpha, it defaults to premultiplied and is greyed out. Can someone from Adobe provide a solution? Please advise, thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 5.03.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any answer on this? been waiting for straight EXRs for a year now... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines