• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does editing become so pixelated and laggy, and how can I solve it?

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixalated editing problemPixalated editing problem

Basically, whenever I try to edit or move something, my resolution gets really pixalated and editing is really choppy. I'm just editing vector shapes (using Rubberhose as well, though I had the problem prior as well). What's causing this? Any ideas?

I'm using the latest version of AE. Specs of machine are:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4201 MHz, 4 core, 8 processors
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 1060 6gb

Any advice or tips would be welcomed.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the adaptive resolution as it shows up in right top corner. You an switch it to "off" in the comp-window. In the bottom line, it's the icon which is currently blueish.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers for the reply. I stopped using that feature after you mentioned it, but now my project is very slow. Any ideas on how I can speed it up? My machine is pretty good as I recall, do you have recommendations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometines this happens when while working on heavy projects, usuall I do the steps

Purge All memory and Disk Cache,

Edit -> Purge -> All memory and Disk Cache

and switching between Adaptive Resolution/Off ( Final Quality )

and sometimes I have to restart windows/Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! I actually have that action hotkeyed because I use it so much (purge). The full reset I tend to do sometimes. Weird that we have to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from what Martin said, try to go light on using expressions and all that stuff. Just looking at your screenshot it's clear that all those nifty panels apply a ton of expressions and extraneous keyframes and evaluating those will inevitably slow down things considerably even if the project otherwise seems easy/ light.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible. I use a lot of plugins. Do unused plugins (so just their open windows) slow the software down as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Cheers for the reply. I stopped using that feature after you mentioned it, but now my project is very slow. Any ideas on how I can speed it up?"

Yes, you can activate adaptive resolution, because that's what it was build for. 🙂

I'm almost on the same machine as you but I have no clue how your project is setted up, I don't know your workflow. Working with IK, a lot of expressions and shape layers is always a slow down. If you provide more details about your project set up and workflow, we might find something which can be optimized.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! Fair enough! Regarding my workflow. I make my illustrations first in Illustrator, which I then push to After Effects using Overlord. I connect these together (parents) to animate them. For limbs like legs and arms I use Rubberhose. And that's it really. Sometimes when I have to animate a complicated scene I use the Focus plugin to filter out uncessary elements temporarily. I use the Flow plugin to give my keyframes the easing they need.

NOTE: apparently Shift+Enter posts...okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I keep the AI files and use DUIK for rigging. Works well for HD, but get's sloppy on 4k. For rubber-bends, I take the puppet tool.

Maybe you can try to work with smaller comps (1/2 HD or less) and scale them up in the main comp.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines