Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.mp4 files "not supported"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi please Help!

Having problems importing mp4 files to after effects, 2019 after some time working on three clips from same camera i started to have problems displaying one of the clips after restart of the program, after effects now refuses to identify the clip at all gives me the not supported file error massage... but keeps working with other 2 same clips... really insane!  Had a tight deadline this programs is really getting the habbit of screwing me over....now would not import the clip even in a new document...  i know the ritual use adobe cleaning tool and hope for the best ... but i cant just keep installing and uninstallong the damn program on tight deadline... whats wrong with this sh#$$%$#.... help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a lot to unpack here and knowing a bit more about your machine would be helpful. Computer specs, OS, etc. Also what's the codec on the MP4? I'd say start by transcoding in AME to a different format - try Cineform of DNxHD or ProRes. I try to never use MP4s in production. It's just not made for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using these clips in Premiere? In the previous version of AE (which you can definitely still have installed alongside the current one)?

It's possible the problem clip is corrupted in some way, and may have nothing to do with AE. Confirm it works elsewhere to narrow down your variables.

What is the format of the clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble understanding you guys... do you like asking question just for the sake of it? using pc windows 10 i7-8700k1080ti g1 … how does my specs make you understand the situation better? I need real help from adobe the program is broken I am being fade mp4 files from client it would be really stupid way to go transcoding everything... maybe in a perfect world were I don't have to render the project till the morning... the clip is not corrupt I don't need possible this and possible that... if anybody know what to do please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, these are user-to-user forums. If you want direct help from Adobe, contact customer support.

We're other human beings, here to attempt to help you. Since we're not at your house and currently looking at your computer, we need you to provide information so that we can offer meaningful suggestions. Here's a good comparison: you're saying "MY CAR'S ENGINE IS BROKEN!!!!" We know nothing about what kind of car you're driving, where you're driving it, how old it is, and what part of the engine might be having trouble. There are hundreds or thousands of variables that could be at play, so no one here is going to spend their time throwing out every possible solution until we know more about your specific issue.

Your issue could be due to you lacking knowledge about either the workflow or software, there could be issues with your hardware or current drivers, there could be other installed software interfering with AE, or there could be a legitimate bug that's causing your problem. Keep calm and organize your thoughts, and we'll be happy to help you.

One possible quick-fix solution: make sure your video card's drivers are up-to-date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave you the info so what's the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No we're not joking. There are multiple factors that decide program performance. For example, since you refused to give us system specs there may be problems in the GPU, you could have a lack of memory. This is your second time posting and I still have yet to know anything other than you use windows and an mp4 isn't working. I'm unsure of how you're positive that AE is the problem when even you indicate other MP4s are working fine. Unfortunately, after being asked twice you didn't tell us the format of the mp4 so we're hamstrung on helping to that regard as well. And it's not "really stupid" to transcode to a file that is made for production. Your client is giving you files that very very few professionals work with. Making them a more amenable to any post production software only makes sense. Also, how are you sure your file isn't corrupt when, again, even you state other mp4s work fine.

Again, try transcoding. Try it in Premiere or ME (as Kyle mentioned) With your refusal to provide any information other than your positivity that the program is broken - for you and you alone and only on 1 file - it's difficult to give any further advice.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow man your something.... its not lack of memory please read what I wrote your not addressing anything I wrote after effects stops recognizing the H264 codecs in mp4 files and mov files the example I gave to three files was just to make thing simpler unfortunately I am dealing with much worse situation … there is no refusal of anything the codec is h264 and it braking the after effects... again I am facing with multiple directories and files in huge after effects project... and the program is clearly broken I am doing this for some time now trust me when I have preload plugin just to launch the damn program its broken...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're sure it's not memory and you're sure there is no refusal of anything (?) so you're on a good path to figuring out the problem. I won't get in your way. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you man good luck to you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The time it took you to say that you don't need to give the requested information could have been used to supply that information so that you would not lose the attention of folks that might actually be able to help you.

Are you willing to supply the requested information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree I wanted help from people that knew the problem of after effects and mp4 files not people that would send me on goose hunt the death of millions of maybes...and you can clearly see after I gave the information they had nothing to add...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

modukwon@live.com  wrote

I gave the information they had nothing to add...

I don't see your system specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

intel Core I7 8700K Coffee Lake

rog maximus X hero

Windows 10

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

HyperX FURY 4x16GB DDR4 2400MHz CL15 Kit

SSD 480

4T Black Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, for crying out loud.  If CC 2018 worked for you, then use it.  If you're doing work for paying customers, you've already been through a couple-three AE versions and you ought to know that ANY new AE release causes problems for a lot of people.

You can waste your time troubleshooting, or you can go with something that works.  Your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually it didn't that why I migrated with fingers cross...unfortunately the problem persist and no real answers to be found... one thing I found is that I need to open a blank project open my mp4 files only than I could open my old Ae files that use MP4 files but again after little of work everything comes crushing down... just insanity...some way with plugins...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines