Exit

Blurb Plug-In for Indesign CC 2018 Not Working

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer: Mac Version 10.12.06
Software: Indesign CC 2018

I just downloaded and installed Blurb's new Indesign CC 2018 plug-in. I made sure to select the plug-in for my version of Indesign and the installation went without any hitches. However, when I try to launch the Blurb Book Creator Plug-In in Indesign, an error menu pops up and says that there has been "an unexpected error in the updating process" and that I need to install the latest version of the Blurb Book Creator plug-in. I didn't see a newer version on Blurb's website so I am super confused about what to do. I tried clearing all my plug-ins and reinstalling them and pretty much everything else any other forum told me to do in order to make the plug-in work but nothing helps.

Blurb's support is taking forever to get back to me sooooo yeah any advice would help lol

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the first time we've heard of Blurb's bad customer support, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that's what I've heard. Unfortunately I have to print from them (college requirements and all that). I was able to contact a representative eventually but apparently the entire IT department is gone for the weekend *grrrr*. Hopefully they'll follow through and contact me on Monday.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not my experience, on 15 December I emailed Blurb to ask them about the comparability of the plug-in and InDesign CC2018, and they replied the following day and I reproduce it in full for your information. They also followed it up asking if I needed any further information.

Hi Derek,

With the recent InDesign release, I can understand wanting to be sure that our plug-in would work. When you select the Create Cloud Versions of the plug-in, it will have the 2018 version available.

When you are ready to upload your book, you might find the following suggestions helpful when using the plug-in:

https://support.blurb.com/hc/en-us/articles/207792756-Best-practices-for-using-the-InDesign-Plug-in

Also, before you make your book or magazine available to the general public, order a large quantity, or submit it for an important project or event, we recommend that you order and review a single printed copy first. That way you can make sure that the image resolution, color reproduction, trim, paper, binding, etc. meet your expectations. This can prevent costly mistakes in case there's an overlooked typo or other issue related to the content of your book. Be sure to leave enough time to order and receive an updated version if necessary.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Shayny

Blurb Customer Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input and post 😃 I have actually read the article you posted in my research of my matter and, while it has amazing advice on how to use the plug-in to its full advantage, it does not mention how to handle different errors that may occur in launching the plug-in itself in Indesign CC 2018.

The representative I finally able to talk with was very sweet and understanding of the situation and tried her best to help me out. She even congratulated me on my thesis completion lol. Very nice and cordial individual 😃

However, I was still very surprised and disappointed that there wasn't at least one person from the tech support team to help me fix my issue. Just wish I would have received an automatic email informing me of the exact time the reps needed in order to reply to my query (like a 24-48 hr notice thingy) and a schedule of the tech support's hours of operations. Those little additions would be so neat (and helpful) =D! I know that the company is doing the best they can but hey we all have areas that need improvement and if they are willing to keep working at it then they'll work it out somehow 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're under no obligation to use Blurb's ID plug-in for them to publish your book. Check their specs and create your own file to upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I know lol I just wanted to make sure that I go the layout exactly right and since they have a plug-in I thought that would be the best option so I don't make any stupid mistakes 😃 lol And you're totally right, if the tech support team is not able to figure out what's going on, I can just sit down with one of my graphic design friends who have experience making books and have them check over my settings I got from Blurb's layout specification tool to make sure I inputted everything correctly. It's a "naw dur" thing I know but still better be safe than sorry hahaha 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same situation. Tried the plug-in and directions but get the same message as you. Tomorrow it will be a week since I contacted Blurb. They replied with 2 different tech support people. No solution yet. Gone for the weekend. It's Monday now and no contact from them yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error message, but at least Blurb has been trying to help me.  Maybe Adobe has decided they don't want us to use Blurb anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this Adobe’s problem? The plugin is wonky and there’s nothing Adobe can do about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it's just because blurb.com was temporary down for maintainence. Plugin checks blurb's servers every starts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having the same issue. I have tried in on three separate Macs. Same result. The plugin crashes my inDesign. Deleting the plugin fixes the issue, but then I cannot make a Blurb book. I refuse to use their dumbed down Book Creator app. I agree that it is a Blurb problem. I have emailed them with screen shots, but no useful reply. I am asking my client to look for a new book printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now August 2018 and I'm on a brand new Mac with Adobe InDesign CC2018 - the blurb plug-in does not install at all. It says it's installed but it isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Blurb support. It's not an Adobe problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hear you -- I persisted and blurb support finally got back to me with a solution that let me download the plug-in from their hightail drop-box link. It worked immediately and I was able to download the plug-in and install it.

Blurb suggested It might be a browser situation - I let blurb know I was using Google Chrome latest version on a MacBookPro 2018 using Adobe InDesign CC 2018. I also had tried to download the plug-in on Safari and was unable to -- I still don't know the answer as I've downloaded other dmg installers easily -- but at least they found me a work-around.

The most important issue is communication and that support departments listen carefully to their clients' complaints, and do whatever they can to support them -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines