• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating English documents with Arabic ID

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asked to take over a book layout that contains a lot of Farsi text. To handle this properly I have changed my app language in the CC app to English Arabic. I had to download a new version of InDesign which wiped out all my desktop setting and preferences. Anyway, while I'm working on this project, I have other things to work on. Every time I start a new document the frame threading is reversed, middle eastern style. Is there a way I can change this so that I can also work on English documents, or do I have to switch my app language back to English North America?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clark,

Try this: With no documents open, go to Type > Story. At the bottom of that little panel you'll see the "story direction" icon. Click on the left-to-right icon.

Also, while you're at it, check what your Type tool is set to. In the ME versions of InDesign, there are 2 type tools: right-to-left and left-to-right. With no docs open, choose the LTR one if that is the one you want to have as default.

HTH,

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This InDesign Help file can be useful:

Arabic and Hebrew features in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions. With no documents open I make that change to Story Direction. Also change the font in Basic Paragraph to Minion Pro, change the paragraph direction in Basic Paragraph to Left-to-Right,  and change the default language on the control bar to English:USA. Then, when I create a new document, my Basic Paragraph changes stick, but story direction goes to right-to-left and my frames are back to being threaded backwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what about your Type tool? It sounds like you're using the (default for ME) RTL type tool. It's sole reason for existing is to draw out RTL text frames (with their story direction set RTL). Can you confirm that you're using the regular LTR when creating text frames?

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With no documents open, when I select the type tool, Left-to-Right Paragraph Direction is selected in the Control Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess, but I wonder if it might help to restore preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Changes made with no document open will not affect existing documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines