• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create 3d pentagon in photoshop, like the cube preset, but with 5 sides?

Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I create a 3d pentagon in photoshop that is like the cube mesh preset but with 5 sides? Or create a 3d triangle that is like the cube or cube wrap presets? I can draw either the pentagon  or triangle, and extrude them. But, I can find no way to change the 'material' on each side like you can with the cube mesh preset. What I'd like to be able to do is create the shape then change the material on each side to be a different picture, not the same picture wrapped around the object, which is what happens when you extrude the object from a drawing. Below is something like what I'd want.

hexagon_triangle.png

Since there is no mesh preset to create such objects as this, is there a way to create my own? Or is there is one for download somewhere? I have searched for this and can't find one.

Thanks,

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

I found a Dodecahedron .obj model on the web and opened it in Photoshop and save out a  new Dodecahedron.dae file with an infinite light and added the Dodecahedron .dae file into Photoshop Presets\Meshes,  I opened a new 1000px x 100px document and used the Dodecahedron mesh to create a 3D Dodecahedron layer and open the default texture to create a Photo Collage Template for the 12 sided Dodecahedron to be used with the scripts in my Photo Collage Toolkit package.

Here are the two files you need Dodecahedron.dae

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on what you mean by 3d pentagon.  A Cube is the same as an extruded square  like a  cylinder is and extruded circle a  sphere is not an extruded circle like a pyramid  is not an extruded triangle. In your mind what does your 3d pentagon look like. Ball like or extruded pentagon.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like the rotating cube in the example I uploaded a few minutes ago. With different photos on each side. Not in a cube, I can do that with the cube mesh preset. I'd like to be able to do a pentagon, hexagon, triangle etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me put my question in different words. Do you want your 3d object to be a polygon pentagon extruded  or do you want it to be a dodecahedron. If a dodecahedron you will need a real 3d Application to create a model for Photoshop.

Dodecahedron_001.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A dodecahedron would be nice but I don't really care to learn another program, as I'm still learning photoshop... slowly that is.

An extruded polygon pentagon or triangle is what I want. With the ability to change each side, or face, or plane if that's what you want to call it, to a different material (photo or graphic). I can extruded one, but the only option is to change the extrusion material, and when I do that and select a photo as the new material, it wraps it around each side of it. I do not want that. I want to be able to change each face to a different photo/graphic.

Example would be: a hexagon 5 sides plus top and bottom faces. If I put a different photo/graphic on each face that would be 7 different photo/graphics.

I'm just looking for a quick and easy way to do that.

Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

To get separate faces , rather than a single extrusion, you will need to either :

1. Make the model in a 3D app such as Blender

or

2. Download a model from the many online stores.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I have blender, but have not learned how to use it. To me at least, it's a lot more complicated to learn that photoshop is, and not nearly as intuitive.

I have been searching for 3d models on the internet, none that I have found are compatible. Except for on on the adobe stock. And that price is ridiculous to say the least. I'm not making money from this as it's only a hobby and they want you to have a subscription from $10 to $30 per month. Which wouldn't be unreasonable for a production company that is making a profit, but as for someone like me who only wants 1 item, a monthly subscription wouldn't make sense in any way. They don't offer the 3d models where you can just buy a single item, only with a subscription. And I have no need for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Blender, in object mode, use Add > Mesh > Math Function > Regular Solid

Then choose the shape you want (in JJMack's example a Dodecahedron)

You can use edit mode to select each face and assign a material to each.

Then in nodes use Image Texture as the source for colour for each material to assign the images as required

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

I don't think that option is enabled by default in Blender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're probably right Ged . I will have enabled that some time ago

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that in blender. Will take me a while as I'm not very familiar with it. I've only used it to edit some templates made by other people, nothing serious yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's cool JJ.   How did you make it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not there are image and 3D model on the web.  I'm sure some 3D models Photoshop will be able to open.  However I do no know much about 3D models an model file type or they all relate in Photoshop.   OBJ, DAE and other file seem to include some other file type for surface materials  and other things.  I would have no idea  of which type of model file supported by Photoshop would be best for editing the 3d model surfaces and insert image onto them.  I also do not know in you can add meshes to Photoshop Preset meshes the seem to be DAE files. Are All DAE file jus 3d Meshes  I would not know but I would not think they are for in Photoshop Presets materials  I see files "Default.p3m" and "MaterialPreview.dae"

You can edit a DAE file with a text editor it an XML file with all sort of stuff including geometry for the 3d object.

I just download a couple of free dodecahedron DAE file they both  has geometry foe a solid object not for eact of the dodecahedron face surfaces.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

I tried editing one of the dae files. I wasn't able to make it work. Not really sure what to edit in it. I'll keep searching more for DAE files and models.

I had previously not searched for DAE files. Searching for those seem to be yielding more results. Thanks for the tip in the different direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With some work it should be possible I colored each side and overlaid one with an image.  You edit its texture. I do no do 3D work for it is work and  I would rather not do work I'm retired its easy the get user to not working.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I more or less was able to automated  most of the process for a least one size dodecahedron. I download a dodecahedron.dae file and added it to Photoshop Presets meshes..  I Opened a new 1000px by 1000px document in Photoshop and used Photoshop 3D menu New Mesh From Layer>Mesh Preset>Dodecahedron. I then double click on the 3D layers default texture to open the texture in Photoshop I stroked the 12 pentagons and created 12 Alpha channels Image 1 through Image 12 and save out a Photo Collage Template file dodecahedronTemplate.psd. I then close the template document and texture document. I use Photoshop menu File>Scripts>PopulateCollagerTemplat to populate the dodecahedronTemplate with 12 of my Images.  In the 3d dodecahedron document I double click on the Default Texture to Again open the default Texture PSB work document. I then target the 12 Smart Images layer in the populated collage template document layers palette and with the shift key held down I dragged and dropped them into the Texture PSB work document.  I then save the texture document to update the  dodecahedron 3D layer in my document with the images.

The biggest problem I have is CC 2018 19.1.6 keeps crashing and sends reports to Adobe but no Windows Crash reports are generated I do not know how to use Adobe crash reports to see where my CC 2018 problems are nor can I find any Adobe crash reports on my system. Sending them to Adobe must delete them on one's machine.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks pretty interesting. I'd like to try it and see what I could do with it. You said you "dodecahedron.dae file" and added that to the mesh presets in photoshop.

May I ask where you downloaded this file from?

The only place I have found to download one was from adobe stock and a few others like that, all requiring subscriptions with a monthly charge. I wouldn't mind paying a small, one time fee, but an ongoing monthly charge for something that I may use once or twice in a year for something that I'm not making money from, well I just can't justify doing that.

I'm not that familiar with adobe crash reports, but doesn't it give you an opportunity to view the report before it is sent? If it does then maybe you could copy and paste it before you send it? I'm not sure if that's possible to do but it may be worth a shot if it happens again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not do 3D stuff I saw the Photoshop Meshes are DAE files.  All DAE files are not equal the are XML file and can contain different information about 3d object surfaces and materials even Photoshop animations.  So I not sure the dodecahedron.dae file I downloaded from linearchaos/Dodecahedron.dae at master · t3kt/linearchaos · GitHub is one that has the proper information that should be in Photoshop Presets\Meshes. It is a dodecahedron 3d object that has single surface texture for the dodecahedron 12 sides. Not 12 surface materials one for each of the 12 side. Adobe has two Cube DAE file in meshes one has materials for the cube 6 sides the other Cube Wrap has one surface material that is user on all 6 sides.   The  dodecahedron texture seems to be a single file the has geometry for all 12 sides that are wrapped around the dodecahedron. The dodecahedron.dae file created in blender does not have the material information found in Adobe .dae meshes files.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a Dodecahedron .obj model on the web and opened it in Photoshop and save out a  new Dodecahedron.dae file with an infinite light and added the Dodecahedron .dae file into Photoshop Presets\Meshes,  I opened a new 1000px x 100px document and used the Dodecahedron mesh to create a 3D Dodecahedron layer and open the default texture to create a Photo Collage Template for the 12 sided Dodecahedron to be used with the scripts in my Photo Collage Toolkit package.

Here are the two files you need Dodecahedron.dae and DodecahedronTmp.psd

Download the two files install and use them

Copy the .dae file into Photoshop's \Presets\Meshes.

Open Photoshop and use one of my Photo Collage populating script to  populate the template DodecahedronTmp.psd.  I would suggest the PopulateCollageTemplate script.  Once the 12 images have been populated leave the populated collage template open in Photoshop.

Open a new 1000px by 1000px document and use menu 3d>New Mesh from Layer>Mesh Preset>Dodecahedron.

In the Layers palette double click on _PS_3D_Default - Default Texture to open it in Photoshop.

Switch to the Populated Template document and Target all the layers in the Layers palette. With the shift key held press drag all the layers from the layers palette and drop them into the Default Texture document.

X out of the the template document do not save.

X out of the texture document and SAVE it.

Done.

Capture.jpg

Todays Photoshop crash produced a System crash report Adobe di not catch it and produce their report. Todays crash was in ucrtbast.dll which is in \Wibdows\System32\   being crt is in its name it mah had to do with my displat adapter software I see it there is a newer version.

I did not see any way to view Adobe crash reports before sending them off the one I have seen online I do not know to read them.

I had the latest driver installed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I marked that as the correct answer. It works. And I can't thank you enough. It's not totally what I'm looking for but it works! I'm going to keep working on editing/writing a dodecahedron.dae file that I can change the material for each face of the dodecahedron on. I have several attempts at it and feel I"m getting closer, but it may take me a long time to get it to work. If I ever do I'll post it here so anyone can use it if they want. How long that'll take, I have no idea, or if I can ever get it right.

Thank you again, I truly appreciate it!

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joeh87907460  wrote

I marked that as the correct answer. It works. And I can't thank you enough. It's not totally what I'm looking for but it works! I'm going to keep working on editing/writing a dodecahedron.dae file that I can change the material for each face of the dodecahedron on.

Joe I have mixed feeling on that.  I do not do 3D work. If I did I would not use for Photoshop as my 3D application. I would use an application designed from the ground up as a 3D application.   A simpler UI perhaps like SketchUp. Blender UI is more complex than Photoshop but is is very powerful and FREE.   If you have 3D models and you can always download and buy models.  A Programs like  Adobe Dimension CC would much easier to combine and manipulate 3D objects then Photoshop.  It can also render out 2d content as layered Photoshop PSD files.  Its has limits I believe its  objects surfaces may be limited to one image.

If the Geometry is quite regular like a dodecahedron I like how Photoshop overlays  the wire frame onto the the work texture document. It make it quite easy to create a Photo Collage template for the 12 surfaces.  My Scripts can handle up to 53 Image surfaces. So it very easy to populate the  surfaces with image.  While my script populate these 32 Images I drank some wine.

BallCollage.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am with JJMack on this one. Photoshop is great for simple 3D work (which can be made to look very good). But if you want full control, a 3D app is the way to go. I use Blender but bring the renders back to Photoshop as 2D layers for compositing and finishing.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it easier to work in Photoshop 2D world and let Photoshop wrap its 2D world around a 3d object.

Layers for each surface.

BallCollageStroke.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a quick one I made using the methods, scripts and files you gave me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an other .obj a change a bit tand create a 4000px by 4000px template for creating higher resolution images.

Large.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines