Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

merge via HDRpro in Photoshop - problems with images having easy sky scenarios

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi 

i am using "merge via hdr pro in photoshop" to get my hdr images. after testing it gives me the much better results in 32-bit than the .dng approach (especially in dark areas).

while i like the overall, neutral results compared to other hdr-tools, i run into artefacts/problems as soon as a sky is involved - even in simple light scenarios (i.e. blue sky without head light).
I enclose an example.

Other hdr programs I used so far, do not have the slightest problem with the sky in these images.

so: can I avoid this somehow? or is an improvement planned?

thanks for your hints.

2019-09-28 22_39_35-Camera Raw (Unbenannt_HDR2).png

ā€ƒ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your example shows significant banding in the sky, which is something I've never seen in Lightroom or Photoshop.  Rather than try to determine the reason for your issues here I think it best that you have a read at this document prepared by Adobe to assist users get best results from the HDR feature. I suggest you take particular note of the number of images (less than you might think) required for optimal results.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-classic/help/hdr-photo-merge.html

Let us know how you get on, especially if above guidance doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019-09-29 17_44_57-Zu HDR Pro zusammenfĆ¼gen (100 %).png

2019-09-29 17_44_57-Zu HDR Pro zusammenfĆ¼gen (100 %).png

ā€ƒā€ƒ

thanks @ian_lyons

i cant explain that either. 

as i said, doing hdr for years and with other programs, so can estimate how things are about to look. i don't get banding with other programs at all in easy settings like the above. nearly in every one, with lightroom/hdr-pro

another extract example is now attached. i assume, one gets the point, although dis example is in a difficult light situation.

I read the article you linked, and i am ok within parameters (also from experience) - i should get an ok picture !!
but i am not using the "merge to hdr", that you linked, but "hdr pro in photoshop".

so what am i supposed to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019-09-29 22_55_56-HDR Efex Pro 2.png

ā€ƒ

this is an example, how hdr efex pro handles the same images - without the hint of a problem

and also an extract of the difficult image, no hint of a problem within hdr efex pro

2019-09-29 23_01_11-HDR Efex Pro 2.png

ā€ƒ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone got a hint or experienced the same problem?
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I've never seen this. Can you post a PSD file or a link to a PSD file if it is too large , I'd like to try it here and see if I get the banding

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi
somehow i also think it is a problem on my system, but haven't got a clue, what it could be.

tried ps 2018 and 2019 - both the same....but besides, no other hdr-program on the system has a hint of a problem on my system.
psd is attached, rendered from lightrom, smaller and only 8-bit so meet file-size restrictions...so not the same conditions, mine are more favorable of course - but i assume, your results will be better.

thanks for looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I had to guess the relative exposures on the three images in your test file and enter them manually. When I did so I only got the severe banding when I checked the "remove ghosting" checkbox which seemed to pick up large areas of sky luminosity from the darker image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Dave.
so after your input I took my images to my friend and it turns out, on his pc we have the same problem as on my pc - even with old images, that worked fine.

OK, so we went to our local photoshop/lightroom crack and mentor ...and the same problem.
So he went through adobe support and after many hours they admitted, that it is indeed an error - and they will fix the bug in the next version. Date unknown!!!!!!
which is a desaster. we havily rely on the 32-bit-rendering which is much better than the lightroom-hdr-engine and necessary for our work with clients. for the recent week, we were unable to deliver images in the quality we need and want - and adobe doesn't give a ..... about it.
Such a bug in version 20.xxx and they don't care about providing a hotfix - very disappointing at least.

thanks all for your inputs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej

i have the same problems after my holidays. Do you have any news?

Does it make sense, to contact Adobe support?

thank you

Margret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi 

sorry for the delay - unfortunately the news is, i am busy evaluating applications for my post adobe time. Support did not bring a solution (arrogance, ignorance, no knowledge). Update made things worse (second hdr option also no more working; Merge with hdr pro unusable since quite a long time and no solution on the horizon). Not being happy, not being able to do my work, but being a paying customer is not really a business model i want to keep supporting.

Found already a better replacement for lightroom and my workflow is faster now. HDR also evaluated, decision on PS replacement in a few days. For details, this is of course not the right place. and i don't mean, that the world outside of adobe ist great and without flaws. but it is worth to consider/check out other options, i would even recommend it to all.
I should have done earlier. And yes, i know, that a single person won't change a thing about whats going completely wrong at adobe. 

Margret, I hope, it will work out for you. Be it with or without adobe products,  although i am not a help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines