• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitch on 4K footage in 1080p sequence

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 4k footage shot on an alexa mini that plays fine in VLC or a sequence that matches the clip's settings. Once it's rendered in a 1080p DNxHD sequence a strange glitch appears over the vertical bars of a balcony railing during playback of each zoom shot. I'm using the 4K footage to zoom in further on some of the shots.

You can see a sample here: https://vimeo.com/366054599/ded9632c4d. The glitch is in the balcony railing to the left of center.

I was editing the footage in a DNxHD sequence on a windows machine with Premiere 2019, and now I'm finishing it on an iMac Pro with Premiere 2019. I also tried it in ProRes 4444 and 422 sequences. The same problem appears in all cases.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Footage:
Apple Pro Res 4444 / 3840 x 2160

Sequence:
DNX RGB 444 1080p 25 / square pixel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you left active "Use Maximun Render Quality" checkbox in Export Settings window when you exports? This option is for a best process in render when you are scaled clips or stills. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The glitch appears whether or not this box is checked, and the glitch is also present during playback in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to activate it too in menu Sequence / Sequence Settings... to take effects in final render. Activate it and try again please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I activated it and the glitch is still present during playback and in the export. Will try your GoPro Cineform suggestion next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried disabling GPU acceleration (under File - Project Settings - General). I know that's annoying, but I want to rule out a GPU issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now try deleting Media Cache files in Pr Preferences, if not, in menu Sequence / Sequence Settings... change the Editing Mode to "Custom" and Preview File Format to "GoPro CineForm" to see how it goes, but first make a backup of your project and the sequence into project (make a duplicate of the sequence).

Captura de Pantalla 2019-10-15 a la(s) 10.24.03.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck here either ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Describe step by step how are you exporting it, and tell us what container (for example QuickTime, MPEG, AVI, etc) and codec are you using in final render video. Upload some screenshots of entire interface. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 18.12.09.pngFile > Export Media > Export. H.264 ... more details in the screen shot (apologies for the German). I've also tried a 2 pass export. But again, the issues is present in the timeline before export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try first exporting in Apple ProRes 422 or DNxHR/DNxHD, if it's ok then transcode to H.264. Try this to discard a H.264 issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The glitch is still present in the ProRes export and the DNxHR/DNxHD versions. While it is still obvious, it is not as bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome Arrow Byron! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we have to try installing some old version of Premiere Pro to discard GPU issue, try to export from this old version, like Pr 2018 for example. Did you update GPU drivers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this on two separater computers - one with 2018, one with 2019. So we can discard this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now try without compression. Try this.

Captura de Pantalla 2019-10-22 a la(s) 08.08.48.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still seeing the glitch ... I also tried the uncompressed 10-bit option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a video screening of the original clip playing it in QuickTime Player and upload please.  I start to thing that the issue is in the original clip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the original clip itself, which plays without issue - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q4jpMxkqokiTBgrUTvMEoyTmqxxv5uFT/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a test but the issue does not exist for me.

Do the following: do the sequence again but drag and drop clip from the Project panel to the New Item icon to create a sequence from the clip, then edit it, export it and tell me how it went (don't touch the parameters of the created sequence, just edit there).

byroncortez Test

Captura de Pantalla 2019-10-22 a la(s) 11.06.50.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will work fine - the issue is that when I put this 4K footage into a 1080p sequence so that I can zoom into it, the glitch appears. The rest of the footage is animation at 1080p, and the final output will be 1080p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue still does not exist for me even creating the DNX RGB 444 1080p 25 sequence and exporting in H.264 1080p 25fps.

Try to clear the media cache, my ideas run out hahaha.

Sequence DNX RGB 444 1080p 25 Test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked in the end was bringing each fresh clip back into the sequence, adding the effects, and then rendering.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines