• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I do NOT want to auto-renew for another year!

Engaged ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not want to auto renew my current Cloud subscription.

I feel pressured into buying it in the first place and here is why:

I was using Design Premium CS4 When Adobe suddenly says that you couldn't upgrade from CS4 to CS6 anymore. (Remember that people?). So I stupidly believed that and bought the CS5.5 upgrade instead because it was on sale. My plan was to just buy the upgrades when they were on sale. Otherwise apparently I would have to buy a completely new license if I didn't keep up!

Then the aggressive Creative Cloud advertisements came along.

"Hurry up before the introduction price expires in august 2012!". (A year later and its still going on.)

Sigh... Looking back at that I am such a gullible idiot. But no more. I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to continue with Adobe and their continued lies upon lies upon lies. I am absolutely disgusted with Adobe's 'marketing' strategy. And with Shantanu Narayen, President and CEO of Adobe at the top of the company I fear it will only get worse. Just listen to the man speak and you'll know...

And that in a nutshell is why I will NOT be pressured into continuing with this scheme.

If Adobe goes back to perpetual licences I would strongly recommend Adobe to offer reasonable upgrade prices to all the people that they have scammed into this Cloud scheme. I would call Adobe's behavior in dealing with customers CRIMINAL!

"Your membership will renew on August 30, 2013"

So if an Adobe employee could stop my account from auto-renewing on August 30, 2013 that would be lovely.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Hi Jeff

You will be able to cancel your membership after payment for the 12th month has processed - see http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cancel-membership-subscription.html

If you have any issues with this, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist you.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned I only want to cancel the auto renewal. I will likely NOT be here on the 31st of March and for a while afterwards and I do not want to be charged. I realise I need to pay for the 12 months. I NEED you to cancel the auto renewal not my actual subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WhyWhyWhy

I understand that you want to complete your 12 month commit but don't want to renew for another year. 

You can do this by following the steps I provided after payment for the final month has been processed in February and before 31st March.  You will still have access to your membership until 31st March so it doesn't matter when you cancel during March.

I can put a note in my calendar to do this for you if you'd prefer.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes if you can do that it would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WhyWhyWhy

I've cancelled your subscription as requested.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the student & teacher edition at the $19.99 promotional price, which I noticed is still in effect today.  However my last monthly payment was over $30, and when I logged in I discovered that it had auto-renewed my subscription for a second year. 

The terms that you pasted above include the guarantee that we would be notified before any price increase, but I did not receive any notification from Adobe.

Live chat support has not been very helpful in resolving this.  (Or in determining why I was charged tax for this month, and for several months of last year)

It really seems dishonest for Adobe to auto-renew at a higher price than we initially agreed to, without requesting our permission beforehand.  That's the sort of behavior that calls for requesting a chargeback from our credit card companies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2014 Feb 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Varlokkur

An email is sent 30 days prior to your annual renewal date with details of the regular pricing that will apply after the 12 months promo pricing.  I'm sorry that you didn't receive this - could it have been caught by a spam/junk filter?

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recieved that renewal email and would really like to cancel my subscription since it is up for renewal on April 2nd. But it seems that clicking a simple button to get out of renewing isn't how it works on here so can you cancel my subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rachel01

I've cancelled your subscription as requested - you will have access until April 3rd, 2014.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this is clear. I signed up to a student Creative Cloud annual subscription. I signed up and then had it auto-renewed at a higher cost (educator price). I am told that I cannot say "please cancel the autorenewal" nor can I pay up front for a year and have the service cancelled. No, the onus is on me the user to set a reminder in my calendar for 14 days of the year (a year away from that date) reminding me to logon to a website and opt out. God forbid you're overseas, not checking your email or hospitalised during the only time period that Adobe gives you to get out of the contract where total silence is taken as a form of consent. I feel overcharged and let down and fed up. I can't even say in advance - I WISH TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION outside of a 14 day window of the year. The whole thing is disempowering and depressing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Beverley Gray,

Like many (ex)students and other (ex) Creative Cloud users who once purchased a 12-month (student and teacher) package to learn and use Adobe software I was surprised to learn about the auto-renewal of ONE YEAR (instead of one month) and the CANCELLATION FEE OF 50% for the remaining months. Customer Service Chat offered me nothing like a customer friendly alternative. They actually tried to lure me into a new 12 month subscription. As far as I currently understand; Adobe Customer Support Chat sees more value in trashing all my and my companies trust in Adobe in return for a couple of dollars, rather than allowing me to use and happily pay for the software when I actually need use it in the future. It has been very clear to me that Adobe primarily requires "financial goals" to the company where they outsourced their customer support chat rather than "customer satisfaction" goals. To any employee of Adobe; I hope that you understand that these kind of decisions eventually will backfire.... So for your own sake, please act immediately because at the end it is your job on the line.

Apparently I misread or oversaw the small letters about the renewal? Dear Adobe representative, please be honest.... There is no way Adobe can ignore the pile of complains about vague or hard to discover subscription policies while entering a prepaid 12-month plan. The internet is packed with complaints! Isn't there a wise person at Adobe that both understands the term "brand damage" and can "use a calculator"? He/she should consider picking up his phone and call the one responsible for this mess to act right away before any more damages is been done. And please don't give me a reply on this post with a reference to your 24/7 chat support or one of your policy pages. I've been there...

At the Adobe CC personal accountmanagement pages there was no way to "end the subscription by the end of the contract term". There is only this small window of one month (the last month of your 12 month subscription) in which you can cancel the subscription without charges. So one big "hurray" for the smart dude who came up with the idea that probably a lot of people will miss this small window to cancel. Is it legal? Yes. Is it ethical? Well... reading all the posts on the web, apparently NOT, but hey whatever... "everything for the money!" right? In my opinion, truly clueless behaviour in today's software landscape. When you are proposing to have the best and most successful software in the marked... these “money-drafting” methods would be the last thing you need. I truly question myself why you need these practices... You have millions of customers... why are your targeting (ex) students and other users who chose for a 12-month prepaid plan and make it more difficult to cancel than other cloud services?

FYI: In my case you are about to lose hundreds of thousands dollars on future subscription fees. Not only from me personally and from my growing company but also from anyone I know who is questioning open source alternatives. I'll advice them and all future contacts, who regularly ask my advice on software usage, to look for alternatives and I'm happy to help them since I most likely will be working together with them. Don't forget that in their turn, they forward this movement to their contacts, interns, etc... Adobe may be powerful, but hey, there is more software out there and their user base is growing RAPIDLY! As much as I appreciate using your software I appreciate a mature business relationship, which is definitely not the case at this moment.

Anyway, after a long long chat with your support team they got me to agree with a new 10 dollar photo package subscription for the next 12 months. When they wanted to push this through, it seemed that my credit card had expired last month which leaves Adobe without a method to charge the subscription fee. When I couldn’t immediately provide my new credit card info, the chat was over in a second. Lucky me? Not providing Adobe with new payment information seems to be the only way to stop the credit card charges form Adobe... Really not my style to end a "business relation" like this, yet at this point it appears that "closing the money-tab" is the only language Adobe understands and is clearly able respond to.

But... since I virtually can expect anything from Adobe as long as it concerts charging fees for stuff that users did not CLEARLY ask for: What will happen when I come back as a customer somewhere in the future at the moment that I WANT TO use your software again?

1. Will I be charged the months that Adobe was not able to charge me after-all on top of the Monthly subscription for the software title I want to use at that moment? OR

2. Will I NOT be charged the months that Adobe was not able to charge me and will Adobe welcome me as a happy customer again?

Dear Beverley Gray, in my search for a proper reply you seem the only Adobe staff member that has dealt with this situation in a proper way in the past. If you or one of your colleagues is willing to solve this dispute in an orderly fashion by just canceling current charges without any cancellation fees, I'll be very happy to cooperate.

Looking forward to your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, Please cancel my subscription. I am very frustrated. I called and was disconnected while waiting for a transfer. Then I contacted adobe help through online chat. The adobe representative stated that there is no way to cancel an auto-renewal. This is a trap and must be borderline illegal. I said I do not want to enter into an agreement for auto-renewal. I have that choice as I am the purchasing party. She said simply that adobe will charge you when your subscription is up and there is no way to cancel it. Please cancel my auto-renewal immediately, or I will need to open a case with the BBB?

Where is the accountability?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bivity

I can see you have redeemed a prepaid Student/Teacher membership.  Did you provide credit card details when you redeemed your membership?  If yes, you can cancel during month 12 so your membership will not auto-renewal.  If no payment details were provided, the membership will not auto-renew and once the 12 months is finished you can decide whether you want to renew or purchase another prepaid membership.

Kind regards

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow seems that I have also been affected by this issue of adobe automatically re-newing you and trapping you into a 12 month contract. As a student their email was pushed into my spam file so I didn't even have a chance to cancel my subscription! Online chat cut me off when I complained.....complete joke!  They automatically renew you then hike the price and give new customers a better price...

Then you have to pay to get out of a contract you never even agreeded too? Adobe this is horrendous! students are on a tight budget anyway then you go and do this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My one-year subscription was up in May of 2014 and they claim they sent an email to me to verify the "AUTO RENEWAL".  I was told that I couldn't cancel because they had the right, as per their licensing agreement, to auto renew for another year....unless I canceled.  What size balls do you have to have to be so lacking in client-centeredness in this day and age.  I was stunned.  They begrudgingly canceled after pushing...thank you Adobe...but I think this policy stinks and everyone should be aware of what they are committing to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the boxed version of Creative Suite 6 Master Collection.  Will Adobe let me use my boxed CS 6 Master Collection software forever or will suddenly one day Adobe announce that people who are using Creative Suite 6 will no longer be able to open their shrink-wrap applications?

I'll never subscribe to the Creative Cloud.  First of all, I hate that model: it's more expensive in the long term as I wouldn't upgrade with every release and I don't need updates to the latest, most amazing new features.  But, more importantly, in accounting, one time expenses are handled differently than ongoing expenses.  I cannot justify ongoing expenses.  So, Adobe is saying "bye bye" to customers that are not permitted to charge recurring expenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is a horrible company with zero customer support who extorts money from their subscribers. I was called by an Adobe representative to go over my account I told him i wished to cancel my account. I received my American Express bill today 11 days after adobe charged me for an auto renewal (which via phone conversation cancelled). I immediately called Adobe and they told me it is past the 5 day grace period. $655.37 charged to my CC. I have bought Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop in box form with upgrades over many years, I did not like the cloud service and did not want to renew. This is extortion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally disenchanted with Adobe over this issue. We are expected to "catch" Adobe before the new billing cycle begins in order to cancel the renewal. Legal? Sure. Unethical ABSOLUTELY.  

Other than pure greed I see no reason why Adobe could not have implemented a "Adobe is Authorized to renew my service at the end of my 1 year term" for those who might want auto renewal, it could have even been automatically checked on by default. But cramming it down our throats with zero option to stop auto-billing after our contract expires is purely unethical. This is an absolutely terrible business model. No one is fooled by this, money is the main motivator but bad policy should be addressed and avoided if Adobe expects to maintain and grow its customer base.

My recommendation to friends and family through Facebook will be to avoid Adobe products and the CC service entirely unless they address the issue. For me this issue is unresolved. A simple fix, DON'T RENEW automatically or allow me out of the contract without penalty. The entire experience has left me feeling uneasy about Adobe and their commitment to being ethical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO RESPONSE from an Adobe representative since "May 19, 2014". This is pretty bad, even by Adobe standards.

Seriously guy? We have a legitimate complaint that needs to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I apologise for the experience you had with the Adobe Subscription and the policies associated.

Well not really sure if you had ever gone through the Adobe - Subscription Terms but the cancellation terms are already mentioned.

Also I have checked your account details and I see that you have an active CC membership. If you wish to cancel it, please let me know.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem as the others in this discussion--you are not addressing the problem which is that Adobe needs to separate plan cancellations with cancelling automatic renewal of contracts--these are two different things. As a customer I want the ability to opt-out of automatic subscription renewals ANYTIME, so I don't get surprised when I miss the ONE email sent to me with the warning that my renewal will occur unless I go online and cancel within a 4-week window. The Adobe-Subscription Terms does NOT explain that there is no way to opt-out of automatic contract renewal anytime.

I knew I did not want to renew my subscription as early as June 2015 and tried to cancel my auto-renewal subscription, but this was not possible. Because I had signed up in Dec 17, 2014 I had it on my calendar that I would have 1 month after this date to terminate my renewal--but it turns out it was one month before the date. At the very least users should be given 30-days to cancel their auto-renewal once it has been put in place--especially when users have already paid for one year. Clearly this system is for the benefit of Adobe only--it not only places the burden on the customers for opting-out of automatic renewal--but at the same time it makes it as difficult as possible to do so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a dirty, under-handed way of running a business... I'm sure some executive is feeling pretty smug about coming up with that one!

I've set the company I'm working for up with a years subscription to Indesign. I've automated the process for updating prices in a catalogue so that anyone without any knowledge of Indesign can use it. Having completed this project, I shall be leaving the company soon. The chances of someone remembering to cancel the subscription in a years time is slim-to-none (even if they do receive the supposed notification email). After a lot of confusion, chasing up and wasted time, I'm sure Adobe will give a refund.. but will have pocketed the interest on the payment.. multiply this by the few thousand people I'm guessing fall for this every year, and it's a nice little earner. All this for the want of having a single option on your website to NOT auto-renew.

Perhaps, Sheena, you might like you point out to your superiors how this isn't exactly a nice way of treating the customers that pay all your wages? Or not. Whatever your conscience tells you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

total ripoff i'm dealing with this auto renewal now too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines