[Locked] Cancellation Fee and Auto-Renewals!!

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After dealing with Adobe Customer Service for 3 days now, I am beyond frustrated and upset.

I was encouraged to start a Creative Cloud Membership by my professor at my college. The student membership is a great tool to allow these expensive products to temporarily be used at a lower price. This was in October of 2013. I used CC through my college career, after the first year, the price went up from $19.99 a month to $29.99 a month. I didnt receive a notification that that would happen, but I had been a customer for a year, I chose to let the price increase go. I continued to use the service, until I finally graduated this month, Dec 2014. I now don't have a need for CC, and I dont have much money, or a full time job, so I decided I would cancel my account.

When signing up, I was under the impression that the membership was, like most leases, 1 year of student subscription, with early cancellation fees, then month to month after the first year. This seems like the perfect plan.

However, when I chose to cancel my membership after 14 months, I was told I would have to pay $130 fee for cancelling. The plan wasnt month to month as I had expected, Adobe had Auto-renewed without my permission or any notification.

Two days ago, the person from customer service told me he could not waive the cancellation fee but he could downgrade me to the photography plan that is $9.99 a month (down from my $29.99 a month). Not knowing what else to do at that point I said yes.

I looked through my email for the confirmation/notification that the Adobe customer service person told me they sent and there was nothing. At no point around my one year mark in October did I receive any communication that my subscription needed me to renew it or that it would be auto renewed. There was nothing.

I also found this forum on Adobe's website with many people echoing the same chain of events that I'm currently going through. Adobe is not sending out these "end of subscription" or "auto-renewal" notification emails, but they are trapping you in another year long subscription without any communication from the customer.

When I called customer service today to share that there seems to be a pattern with many customers being trapped in a creative cloud subscription that they no longer want or cant afford, I was eventually told they would cancel it without fee, but would not refund the charge for the photography plan that I was talked into that I was charged for today.

This is a terrible business practice. Adobe clearly has many great products, Creative Cloud being one of them. There is no need to tie customers in with auto renewed subscriptions that keep them from leaving. When I planned to cancel my subscription, I though that at a time when I needed the services again, and could afford them, I would re-subscribe to Creative Cloud. Now I dont think I will ever agree to any contract on an Adobe product. If this is how customers are treated, why would I enter into this again. I would have encouraged anyone to sign up for Creative cloud, because the product is great. Now, as an Art and Design graduate, I'm planning to spread the word to my alma mater and my friends in the art and design community that the subscription process and contract are a nightmare.

Adobe doesnt need to trap customers in auto renewing subscriptions! When I had called to cancel,  If I had been told "Im sorry that you want to cancel, we are sorry to see you go, and hope you come back", I would be much more open to remaining an Adobe Creative Cloud customer. I truly hope that Adobe changes its membership policy, making it easy for customers to use the subscription the way they want. Until then, Im afraid that I am done using Adobe products.

TOPICS
Account management, Creative Cloud

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015
The amount of 27.99 $ has been credited to VISA card ending with XX50, please check with the Bank related to this account, do let me know in case of any issue.RegardsRajshree

translate

Translate

Translate
replies 220 Replies 220
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had read the mail with great intensity, I understand that you are not feeling very great about the incident. I shall certainly convey this sentiment of yours to the concerned team .

Hopefully Adobe shall be able to bring more smiles to our users.

Regards

Rajshree

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My year-long student plan expired two days ago and, just like you, I didn't receive any email about auto-renewal. I saw immediately that I was charged a $32 charge and, confused, I tried to cancel this as I am a student and can't afford $32 a month. And of course the only way to cancel was to pay a $150 cancellation fee because of the ridiculous auto-renewal.

I spoke with customer service for TWO HOURS being transferred around, and for the entire time I was told there was nothing they could do and I had to pay the $150 fee, even though the auto-renew JUST happened and I hadn't received an email warning me of the auto-renew. My customer service representative refused to help until I showed him this forum, and THEN he tried to talk me down to the Photography subscription, just like you experienced.

I told him that was insane because people on this forum were able to have their cancellation fee waived, and all he could offer me was a reduced Photography package?

So he finally consulted his manager and told him the situation, and then magically I was able to cancel the subscription without a fee. BUT IT GETS BETTER. Since it JUST auto-renewed three days ago for the first time, I paid $32 for a months worth of Adobe Creative Cloud that I'm not not able to use. But because of the situation with early cancellation, the subscription is cancelled effective today, so I lose $32 without any sort of refund. So now I wasted another $32 on Adobe which they won't refund.

Really awesome Adobe, feeding off of students. I really hope you're proud of yourself. My brother is in the design community in NYC, and you bet I am going to tell him to let everyone know of how awful Adobe is. This is no longer a company I support. I used to idolize this company, and after today, I can't stand the thought of it and will never use their products again.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes still no refund from adobe no matter how hard I fought. Just use all the other photo editing suite out there that are as good as illustrator and photoshop. Adobe's service is below any reasonable level of quality. It is terrible.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous. The same thing happened to me my annual subscription was set to auto-renew by default without me knowing. So now I am stuck to pay 6 months as a cancelation penalty.

@Rajashree Bhattacharya I used to have great respect for Adobe as a company. I was excited about Adobe products and confident your business practices were transparent and fair to the customer. This experience has changed my option. Clearly this is a measured approach to squeezing unaware dollars out of customers. I am very disappointed in your company.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rajashree,

Can you also help me with my membership. I have barely (if at all!) used it and was NEVER made aware of the £95+ cancellation fee so can you please rectify this immediately?

Got the offer to have 60 days at no charge and then to be renewed as normal which definitely doesnt solve anything

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi joannec46156313,

You have two active subscription of Adobe Stock & Adobe Creative Cloud, please let me know the details of the action that you would like to opt for via the personal message. I will be glad to follow up.

Regards

Rajashree

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi joannec46156313,

I understand that while we are making purchases we sometimes do not delve in to the "terms & conditions" of the purchase.

I have recieved your personal message & shall be responding shortly to it.

Adobe - Subscription Terms

Regards

Rajashree

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi joannec46156313,

Apologies for the delay in response, I have followed up your request regarding the subscriptions & responded to your personal message.

Please feel free to post in future too.

Regards

Rajashree

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like some help. I did NOT receive a reminder email, and adobe tried to charge me for a renewal for 1 year of adobe creative cloud. The transaction was unsuccessful because I didn't have any money available in my bank account, and so I received an email telling me that the transaction failed. This took me by surprise, as I was completely unaware that this was going to happen.

I tried to correct this through chat, and they stated that I would have to make a payment before I'd be able to cancel, and that I'd be subject to a cancellation fee. They also stated that notifications are sent out to remind customers that an auto-renewal will occur. This simply did not happen! Terms and conditions are an important set of agreements between a service provider and a client, but renewing without notice, subsequently demanding payment AND a cancellation fee violates my trust in the integrity and honesty of Adobe. I simply cannot do business with a company that does not act in good faith, and that seeks to find ways to take my money behind my back.

A simple reminder, email, text message, or some communication of this transaction would have been sufficient -- I would have simply cancelled and been done with this, and we would have no problems. ...and yet I feel helpless and upset that I was only contacted when Adobe couldn't get to my money. I asked my bank to suspend payments to adobe until I could settle this with a representative that i can trust, and that we can find a solution to this issue, with full understanding that Adobe will act in good faith, and that they will no longer try and sneak more money away from me.

Please let me know what to do

Lora

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

loral41798074 wrote:

They also stated that notifications are sent out to remind customers that an auto-renewal will occur.

Based on my experience and the majority of posts in this thread, Adobe is NOT notifying customers about renewal, so the statement made to you was FALSE. This means that Adobe is likely violating California's auto-renewal law and possibly even Federal consumer laws.

Good for you in recognizing that Adobe is violating its own Terms and Conditions with impunity and for being proactive with your bank.

My opinion: it is foolish to allow Adobe to debit a bank account. Never, never, never allow a software company to access your bank account because your rights to dispute an erroneous transaction are limited compared to your rights when using a credit card.

After being abused by Adobe, if you still want to use their software the safest approach is described here: Adobe CC Prepaid Subscriptions: How to Buy a Year+ in Advance | ProDesignTools You will have to create a new Adobe account using a different email address or alias, but the following caution is important: do not add any other payment method to your Adobe account. When the prepaid annual subscription is ready to expire, just buy another one from a third-party like Amazon, B&H Photo, or BestBuy.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi loral41798074,

I find that your issue has been resolved on 10 Jan 2017. Please feel free to post in future too.

Regards

Rajashree

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today, I logged into the Adobe website to cancel my subscription, now that the school year is over. I bought Adobe Premier Pro as an individual. I no longer need the app so like in any other service I thought I would have been able to cancel at any given time. I didn't get an email saying this app will renew or anything of the sorts. It worries me deeply because I am in no condition to keep paying for the app or the resources to pay to get it canceled which is ridiculous in terms of sense.

I tried customer support but no luck as they tried to make me overlook the issue and offered to give me two months free, which I accepted because I saw I had no way out. But now I really know this is the technique Adobe uses to trap the customers. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury to pay that amount of money to cancel it either.  It's a great app, but no longer necessary for me. Is there a way for me to get the plan canceled and this month that it renewed refunded? I went back to the buying page and nowhere did it say that it was a contract that had to be followed, in a normal app I could have canceled and gone about my day.

Please get back to this as soon as possible, I am in deep worry about the charges that are going to come from this. I recommend that you take a look at the offers you are making how much information you are giving towards the sell, maybe mention you are not able to cancel once you are in, or mention a "contract" is involved.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, Adobe offers 2 subscription plan options. 

• Month-to-month which costs more per month but you can cancel at any time without penalty.
  • Annual contract which costs less per month and can be paid monthly or pre-paid yearly.

Evidently, you joined the annual contract plan where early cancellation incurs a penalty fee -- 50% of the remaining contract obligation.   Please read the legal subscription terms below.

Legal subscription terms | Adobe

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just cancelled my Student plan.

Originally, I set about cancelling it after about a week (it would have cost nothing to do so).

I was offered two months "free" subscription to not cancel. I accepted this since I figured I could think about it and always cancel later.

Nowhere on the same page (it does say so in the small print) did it say that I would now be liable to a 50% of my annual subscription fee, for accepting this "free" offer, if I decided to cancel later.

The very understanding person in Adobe Help accepted my point about this not being a very open way of doing business, or words to that effect, and they have cancelled my subscription.

I have just received my cancellation email confirmation. I am hoping NO further charges appear on my credit card. We shall see.

D.

Ps. Dear Adobe, for the record, if I could buy outright ONLY the programs I want, I would buy them. It's that simple.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rajashree,

I have the same frustration. Unbeknownst to me I was auto renewed for another year. I did not approve this auto renewal nor did I receive any sort of prior notice or confirmation from ADOBE.

I was under the impression that my 'Creative Cloud Photography' 1 year plan entailed 12 payments of $10.62 when originally purchased on 10/20/15. I recently canceled my subscription after seeing a 15th charge of $10.62 made by ADOBE on my bank statement this month. Surprised the subscription was still active I logged into my account to cancel & was further charged with an additional fee of $42.48 per 'early subscription termination'!! When I contacted customer support to see why I was charged an early termination fee for canceling my 12 month subscription 3 months AFTER the end of that subscription I spent an hour with ADOBE's customer service chat support only to be informed that my subscription had auto-renewed itself for another 12 months on 10/20/16. Again, I was not warned nor did I receive any sort of confirmation or receipt from ADOBE which is all too humorous considering I get 2 promotional emails a week from them... to put this into perspective I received 96 emails from ADOBE last year- none of which contain any sort of notice, warning or even confirmation of my subscription renewal.

I have now paid ADOBE a total of $212.10 even though it was my initial understanding that I would only be making 12 payments of $10.62 or $127.44 in total. I have not used the software in over 6 months; while I understand I am 2 months late in reporting this oversight of the fine print & contractually ADOBE does have the right to my payments I feel swindled out of $84.66 & very mislead as an ADOBE customer.

The lack of transparency and absence of notice is bad business practice. I am prepared to dispute the termination charge with my bank & report my misleading experience with the BBB & all other consumer alert sites should my case not be reconciled by ADOBE.

Thank you.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a refund for $10.70 ($9.99 +tax) a few weeks ago, but the $32.15 (29.99 +tax) that was also to be refunded has not been credited to my account. I called one week ago today (1/13) and the customer service representative told me the amount had been refunded on the 7th, and to watch my bank account for it. It has now been 2 weeks since the January 7th, and I still i have not received the refund. I would like the status of my refund checked, and responded to.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The amount of 27.99 $ has been credited to VISA card ending with XX50, please check with the Bank related to this account, do let me know in case of any issue.

Regards

Rajshree

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rajshree!

I would like to submit a similar complaint. Which the forums are full of.

I barely used the product even during the initial subscription year for which I paid a lot of money, so I did not want to renew. Therefore January this year I have checked my account everywhere - there was no such option as cancelling auto renew. I could only cancel my subscription altogether - but that made no sense to me due to the cancellation policy. So I assumed if the option is not given, then when it comes to it - I will be requested to confirm it in some form. Then a few months later my subscription was prolonged automatically with a higher fee and was charged monthly from my account! Unfortunately for me I also stopped checking the email account I used to subscribe as I changed my email address after getting married and changing my last name.

When I called support after some hesitation they agreed to stop the subscription effective this month. But I was refused any refund for half a year worth of payments-which is almost as much as I paid for the first full year in total!

For something I did not need in the first place. I talked to 3 different representatives on the phone and in chat and they found all sorts of reasoning not to refund, although it is absolutely clear that many users experienced same issues and there is a flaw in the way this service is delivered.

One of them said that I should have guessed that in order to disable this function I need to call Support, the other one even went as far as trying to convince me that I could cancel the auto-renew in the profile, which obviously is impossible. I found this to be very upsetting, same as the author of the original post.

Regards,

Olga

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Olga,

Sorry for the late response,

The CC purchased on 04.04.2014 is suspended as no payments could be recieved for the month of October.

You will not get charged any further.

Regards

Rajashree

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rajshree,

unfortunately your comment doesn't answer my question.

I am aware that I will not be charged any further. However I submitted several complaints regarding the auto renew and I would like to be reimbursed for the 6 extra months I was charged for. I know reimbursement is possible judging by this thread and I am sure there is a way for your colleagues to check that I actually did not use or access any of the services beyond the initial term. The only time I accessed my CC account in the last months is when I recently found out that Adobe kept charging me beyond the initial year.

I have submitted complaints with Adobe Care on Twitter as well and will continue with further social media until I find justice.

This very forum is full of similar complaints dating as far back as 2013. Adobe is well aware of the misunderstandings that the current system leads to! If it didn't fix this in the last 2 years, then the company should at least reimburse those, whom it puts through all this trouble and stress. Cancelling a subscription altogether (the only option available in the interface) and refusing the auto-renew is not the same thing! One can not be expected to guess that Adobe has mixed both things into one!

Please help me get to the bottom of this!

Thanks!

Olga

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here/ I'm exactly in the same boat as you. I am still getting bills for any software I no longer have. I have long ago uninstalled Flash and have never downloaded Animate CC. I didn't renew any subscription because we weren't offered any option. Look photo below. No Abode softwares on my PC.

Photo of Adobe.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also very frustrated by this and you seem very kind! I was never aware of a subscription fee. I have called, tweeted, and messaged! and nothing has happened. It just keeps going into circles. If they keep charging my card, I have no money to fund the card, therefore my account will be overdrawn. please fix this!!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got them to waive my fee today. Same issue. Keep complaining, but watch some TV while you chat with them, because it will take a while. Call the credit card company to dispute it.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have replied to your PM as well, it is documented in CS Case : 0218494972.

Regards

Rajashree

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines