• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat 2023: How to revert to classic GUI user interface

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE: Do not delete or merge this conversation thread.

This post is to consolidate the information from dozens of other posts about how to revert to the previous user interface in Acrobat.

It consolidates the information users need to know.

When Acrobat is updated to version 2023, it replaces the traditional user interface that's been in place for the past 20+ years with what Adobe is calling the "Modern Viewer," which has some severe technical problems (missing utilities) and a complete relocation of familiar tools, menus, and quick access tool bars.

In Windows Acrobat:

1. Locate the "hamburger menu" in the upper left corner (3 horizontal bars where the old "File" menu used to be).
  2. Select Disable New Acrobat.

BeviChagnonPubComcom_1-1693506675418.png

The hamburger menu in new Acrobat-Windows.

In Mac Acrobat:

1. From the View menu at the top, select Disable New Acrobat.

Thanks to Gary_SC for this Mac screen capture.Thanks to Gary_SC for this Mac screen capture.

Let Adobe know:

You can voice your opinion about the new interface at UserVoice: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/47082691-ditch-t... 

Be sure to leave a comment about your opinion and experience with the new interface. They need to hear from us users.

FYI, UserVoice is Adobe's official website where it reads and takes into account suggestions and complaints from users of its various products.  On the other hand, this community forum is a user-to-user help forum and information posted here rarely reaches ears or eyes at Adobe.

Learn about the new interface:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/new-acrobat-experience.html

Hope this post helps you quickly get back to work!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |
TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Hi All!

Hope you are doing well.

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you can be more productive and get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on any unavailable features, such as customizing the All Tools positioning or user interface. And we will address them with the highest priority. 

A point to note is that as we made these changes in the interface, we have ensured all tools & features

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most absurd change I have ever seen. Information that was critical to do work and tools are now on the side panels instead on the front and above where is easily accessible? Please read

The Design of Everyday Things  by Don Norman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most absurd change I have ever seen. Information that was critical to do work and tools are now on the side panels instead on the front and above where is easily accessible? Please read

The Design of Everyday Things  by Don Norman.

By @Eduardo34843068enwp

I may disagree with your assessment. I, for my part, was never happy with the old UI and I always struggled to do what I needed to do. I preferred the interface of Acrobat 9. But well, it may be just me, as I also struggle with the Microsoft Office interface. People do not like change, it seems to me, but change is driving the world.

As long as you can revert to the old interface, do so, if that makes you happy. If you are unhappy with the current situation, make sure to go to uservoice as is suggested by @Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com. It is from there, where developers draw their inspiration and where you can influence the roadmap, if enough users let their voice be heard.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried for a week and out of desparation I searched and thankfully found this posting. I could find nothing, absolutely nothing of value in the new interface. Its buggy on top of being non intuitive and things that I could readily click on are either hidden or moved to a less useful place. Losing the top strip with the core tools was a killer. And whoever thought people would prefers a flotating tool strip that you can't customize or hide should be fired. And obviously it was someone with younger eyes since every tool icon is half the size of the old one. Shame on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tariq,

If we disable the New Acrobat, is it possible to change it back to the latest version? 

I noticed that there is an advisory that indicates "Disabling the new experience will no longer grant you access to agreement drafts and templates." I don't know how important this might be going forward, so I'm a little reluctant to proceed with reverting the interface.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe release a version of Acrobat called "Acrobat Classic" or even "Acrobat Senior Edition" for those who really find no value in your updated and endlessly changing UI.  There are alternative products out there now that don't do this to users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of us use this for work.... and we don't appreciate you screwing with menus that work fine. You're charging me an ASSLOAD just to use Acrobat. Stop messing with the menus. They've worked fine for years. Keep your hands out of crap that works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you can be more productive and get more out of Acrobat."

I believe the USERS have spoken. 

We are begging Adobe to revert back to the previous version.

Current version has crippled any productivity the tool has to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EVERYONE, remember to...

Let Adobe know!

You can voice your opinion about the new interface at UserVoice: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/47082691-ditch-t... 

Be sure to leave a comment about your opinion and experience with the new interface. They need to hear from us users.

FYI, UserVoice is Adobe's official website where it reads and takes into account suggestions and complaints from users of its various products.  On the other hand, this community forum is a user-to-user help forum and information posted here rarely reaches ears or eyes at Adobe.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I saw one lukewarm positive comment in this thread about the new interface.
  • I hope the designers making this product will take some of the feedback to heart rather than ask customers to adjust.
  • I'd like to add to the pile of negative experiences
  • I'd be thrilled if there was an "opt out" of new everything. No popups, no AI, no UI-in-the-blender updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I went to through the process of  creating an account just to say this, so you must imagine the immense amount of disturbance, annoyance, time loss etc the new UI has caused. (I may be obligated to do overtime today, but this must be voiced somehow)

The new UI is just awful. I wasted a good amount of time going through the menus trying to find a way to revert the bookmarks to the left, trying to find the option to make every PDF document open in different windows etc...

I find the post from Bevi Life/Time saver. (Yesterday I did not find this thread on google)

For my part, if the new UI is enforced, I would ditch the use of Acrobat to the other PDF viewer the company has provided to some of us. (but many in my company do not have the other program)

I talked with my colleagues, (because the change was implemented recently) and they were happy to hear that we could revert to the good IU (I am not naming it the old...It is the good one). I am spreading the word.

I don't want to have Word with bookmarks on the left, and PDF with bookmarks on the right etc...

When something works, DON'T CHANGE IT

(I just can't imagine the meeting where the new UI was discussed and how it was deemed as a good idea... It is beyond me... Updates should be for the better not for worse)

And just... just consider the fact that people create users on the page just for this topic... Just... please notice it, never ever enforce the new UI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! @Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com  THANK YOU! 
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! 
Am I a grateful user?  You bet I am!
You are a god/dess-send!
I wasted more than an hour trying to figure out their newer version and STILL could not customize tools/processes as I had it set up before their UNANNOUNCED, MAJOR CHANGE. It is DISGUSTING what Acrobat did. WTH!  Has caused myself, an independent user, a great deal of stress, upset and worry as to how I would effectively as well as efficiently do my job!!!  I cannot imagine the problems faced by large-scale and major players!!  WHOMEVER WAS INVOLVED WITH THIS HORRIBLE CHANGE SHOULD LOSE THEIR JOBS!! Think of huge impact, the problems, productivity and costs to users the new change has created!  ADOBE NEEDS TO DO AN ALL-OUT EFFORT TO COMMUNICATE TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEIR USERS OFFERING THE OPTION TO KEEP THEIR OLD VERSION. Why should myself and others have to do a google search and finally have come across your saving grace post Bevi!  DO THE RIGHT THING ADOBE AND MAKE THIS RIGHT!!  Have any of you in corporate seen your reviews online??  Not good!  Take not for granted your position in the marketplace. New technologies and competitors are emerging and you may be found in the dust, because of actions like the Adobe Acrobat change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right on the mark!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything you said...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your comments and moreso with your frustrations.  They are both the norm in this community platform.  How is it possible that such a widely used software can be turned on it's head for no apparent reason?  It's breathtaking how bad acrobat has become from a not great starting point.

I've downloaded Nitro Pro as an alternative pdf software.  I like many of it's features and they focus on the basic tools everyone needs when working on pdf's.  It's refreashing to use.  I've had a few glitches regarding printing but the basic tools have been a breeze to operate.  I hgihly recommend user here to give them a try.  The best use of our opinions regarding acrobat is to support alternative softwares that understand our needs in a simple way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restore Menu Bar in Adobe Reader | Swtich from New Adobe Acrobat Reader to Old 
https://youtu.be/zFkjvUxkSS0

In this step-by-step tutorial, Learn How to Restore Menu Bar in Adobe Reader | Adobe Reader Tools Menu Missing | Adobe Reader Toolbar Missing Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for 'Fair Use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi, when I try to use the "Disable New Acrobat Reader" button in the menu bar you pointed to, it doesn't work for some reason. It just re-opens in the same new view (which I agree with the many comments posted - it's pretty terrible). I've tried it a dozen times, I've made sure all other programs and documents are closed, I've also restarted my computer, no luck. Do you have any thoughts on what might be going on / how I might be able to get back to the classic view? Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! @Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com  You are a wonderful person.

This may go down in history as one of the worst UI changes ever.  I actually considered the possibility that Adobe wrecked their product on purpose so that users might be compelled to get a paid version in a desperate attempt to make things better.

I've never understood the 'let's move buttons for the sake of moving buttons' mentality.  Absolutely terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new interface is a big step backwards for usability. Furthermore, the new UI doesn't bring over any tool customizations that a user has added. Whatever problems there were with the old UI, they were minor, so I cannot understand why Adobe felt it necessary to blow it up and force users to spend significnat time to learn how to interact with a brand new and radically different and limited interface. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - Just want to let the Adobe team know that the "new look" did NOT go over well in our office. We have about 21 users and when I told them how to switch back to the original interface I got a collective "Thank you!". And it fixed the "quick print" issue one user was having. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Patrick28719251ayum 
Appreciate your time and sharing your feedback with us. To let you know we are aware of the Quick Print issue and the Product engineering team is working towards the fix. 

~Tariq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you're at it, scrap the new UI. It isn't an improvement. If there are things that are meant to be an improvement, be specific and let us know, because most of us are not seeing them. Don't just give us platitudes about "notable changes you'll get used to one day...in all that extra time you have to relearn our software" (or something like that). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tariq,

Here's another

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/new-acrobat-changes-position-of-panes/m-p/1412781...

So far, I've yet to see: "Ah Finally, they put things in the places they should have been!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to fix this issue is to just do away with the new interface completely and go back to the old GUI. The new GUI is the least intitutive GUI update I have seen since I've been a computer user, and that's saying something given the junk updates that Google puts out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Disable new Acrobat' didn't appear in my Mac's Acrobat View menu (Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32GB) so that helpful option wasn't available to me. I had to revert to an earlier version anyway because of plug-in incompatibility. All our Macs are now set not to automatically update Acrobat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @telred18 

Sorry for the trouble.
For Mac users, disabling the 'New Acrobat' is under the View Menu. If you didn't have the option, it means your application had the latest updates installed, but the Modern Acrobat UX/UI wasn't enabled for you. This option only appears if the Functionality is enabled for you.

TariqDar_0-1695900919856.png

~Tariq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines