• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC extremely slow and often "not responding" for 30 seconds

Contributor ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For approximately the past two months, Acrobat DC reports "not responding" for about 20 to 30 seconds when I open it. This happens again when I open any PDF document (even one with just a single page). It happens again when I select any of the tools (Edit, Combine, Organize, etc). It also happens when I try to drag or rezize the application window.

Machine Resources:
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11950H @ 2.60GHz 2.61 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.739
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.739.0

The post acrobat-dc-extreme-slow-on-windows-10/m-p/12118085 points to how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792082 with instructions to clear %appdata%\Adobe\Acrobat\[version], so I presume this would be C:\Users\willi\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\ on my computer.

I renamed the directory and restarted Acrobat. Performance improved slightly. The "not responding" periods are now about 15 seconds. Still unacceptable.

The next step is then described here: cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

1. I ran the log collector tool. AdobeLogs_20220630_111841_237-win-GS.zxp in in a LogCollector directory on the Desktop.
  2. No files are pending upload.
  3. "Close Adobe Desktop Service and Core Sync in Task manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (macOS)."
    Neither of these is listed on the Task Manager's Processes tab, nor are they on the Services tab. I cannot proceed with this step.

Being unable to perform step #3, I have not continued.

Is anybody else seeing this problem? Has anyone managed to resolve it? Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Contributor , Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

AN UPDATE

Given the total lack of response, this is apparently a problem that nobody else sees, so I have uninstalled Acrobat DC using the standard procedure outlined here: uninstall-reinstall-acrobat.html.

I then restarted the computer and reinstalled Acrobat DC from the Creative Cloud Desktop app. During the installation, "Progress is slower than usual. Working on resolving issue ..." appeared. Task Manager reported the setup process was using an excessive amount of system resources.

Acrobat D

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Whoever said "this is apparently a problem nobody else sees" is absolutely bonkers. When trying to find a fix, it is obvious this issue is EXTREMELY common!!! 

Anyway, I tried all the solutions I could find (cleaner tool, repair, uninstall/reinstall, etc) and NOTHING worked. Every single PDF I opened took forever to open.

I did finally find a solution that worked! Go to "Security (Enhanced)" in Preferences and uncheck the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and set "Protected View" to "Off." 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Thanks for the suggestion, however Protected Mode was already disabled, so enabled this, restarted Acrobat and then disabled again, this seems to have fixed the slow startup issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try applying the last optional update that was pushed on January 2023:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. Unforntunately, it only seems to to have helped for only the first 2-3 files then Acrobat is now back to all the same problems. Since I use Acrobat as one of my primary apps, this is more than an inconvenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening to a particular set of PDFs or with every PDF that you ooen with Acrobat?

Do you get the sameWindows 7 decoration frame if you open those same files with a web browser or another PDF viewer?

From what you've described this looks like a different issue from the original topic.

Altough Windows 11 do have some features that allows to retro-decorate windowing themes like those of Windows 7.

The main question is, if it happens only with Adobe Acrobat or with any other program that can render PDFs.

That said, it is worth noting that some PDFs may contain embedded preferences ettings, such as viewing and reading and how pages will be displayed ( to include navigational panes opening automatically when the file is viewed for the first time, for example).

If you can share a file that shows the Windows 7 decoration when opened with Adobe Acrobat  I can take a look and see if the same hapoens on a Windows 10 computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "Windows 7 look" issue was just another strange thing happening to Acrobat. It appears to happen completely at random on the Windows 11 machines here -- not on the Windows 10 machines. And only when the pdfs are opened in Acrobat.

The main problem is that Acrobat continues to be Not Responding for easily 30sec every time I open a pdf, edit or in any way alter the pdf (eg, Preflight fix).
I have tried all the suggestions above -- all with no lasting effect. At best, Acrobat will operate correctly for only a few files after some fix like un-installing/re-installing but then goes back to the same behavior. Mostly, the fixes suggested simply have had no effect at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is as challenging as difficult to figure out.

I'm gonna have to get in a Windows 11 computer and try to reproduce the issue.

Would you able to share one of those files with no sensitive data on it ? 

Also, I forgot to ask earlier if Microsoft Edge web browser 

is the default PDF handler in your Windows 11 machines or Adobe Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that 'Windows 7 look' from time to time as well (Windows 11 home).  Jeez!
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use IS-rbis's link above and installed the Nov 2023 patch solved my slow start problem.  Thx so much for helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 64bit version download from the Creative Cloud app seems to be faulty.

I'd suggest to test with Acrobat 64-bit version but manually downloaded and installed from a separate Adobe download source.

It almost looks as if there is an issue with how the CC app writes to or has an issue distributing old libraries 32-bit libraries in WOW6432Node susbsytem.

In fact, there is a way to install 32-bit apps and programs on Windows 11. In which case, worsct case scenario, I've been recommending users who are experiencing these erratic behaviors on Windows 10 and 11 to install the 32-bit version of Acrobat or Microsoft get up to speed during this 64-bit only migration.

But in any case, you can uninstall the 64 bit version from the CC app, and you'll need to run the AcroCleaner tool before you re-install Acrobat(64-bit) from a stand alone download source.

If you contact Adobe support, they may be able to assist you with this procedure remotely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through all the suggestions, including installing the 32 bit version.
At first, things seemed to work for a few pdf files then everything reverted to the same problems.

Lots of time wasted, lots of jobs that don't get done on time, lots of frustration.

BTW, the Windows 7 look reappears as well, but it can be "turned off" if I click on either the "Home" or "Tools" tab. However, doing so will also cause a "Not Responding" freeze.
Awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, it was driving me NUTS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was driving me CraZy and your solution has resolved the issue for me. Thank you for your post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed the issue !! pay for subscription at adobe and get laggy apps, use cracked versions always works better. "-_-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help on this. It seems to work as before. Again thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow that worked! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a puzzle... how come at the top of this thread there's a "jump to answer" link and it doesn't jump to THIS answer?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Deactivating protected mode helped, but the new UI is somehow quite buggy and shows sometimes Win7 aero elements instead of Win11 UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, however Protected Mode was already disabled, so enabled this, restarted Acrobat and then disabled again, this seems to have fixed the slow startup issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, i've had this problem for a while and nothing was working for me either. I did have the protected mode radio button off but toggled the protected mode at startup checkbox at the top (which didn't show up before)  a few times and that seems to do the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been having this problem with Adobe and have done all the diagnostics trying to see if it is my problem but it is now looking like its Adobes problem. ADOBE - FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!! WE ARE PAYING FOR THIS PROGRAM TO RUN CORRECTLY. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see it's not just me. I run a MacBook Pro 2022 model so not slow by any means and acrobat has been having all the issues you're describing here for months. Drives me mad. Can only trust Adobe engineers are working on it and will have a fix asap if it's effecting so many people!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ben, there is a confusing amount of correct answers in this thread.. So just checking, did you try this one a few comments up?

Im pasting here for you. This worked wonders for me, but i'm on Windows 11. Fingers crossed that it works for you man.

----------------

@mshubert 

Whoever said "this is apparently a problem nobody else sees" is absolutely bonkers. When trying to find a fix, it is obvious this issue is EXTREMELY common!!! 

Anyway, I tried all the solutions I could find (cleaner tool, repair, uninstall/reinstall, etc) and NOTHING worked. Every single PDF I opened took forever to open.

I did finally find a solution that worked! Go to "Security (Enhanced)" in Preferences and uncheck the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and set "Protected View" to "Off." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe was interested in providing a solution to this debacle they would have done so by now.
They already have received our $$ for this version so why waste more time and money finding a solution when they can charge more money for the next version that features a "fix" to this mess. Sure it will annoy some users to wait but they don't care.
They remind me of the sleazy car salesman who treats you like gold before you sign a sale contract and then if there is a problem with the vehicle later you get treated like dirt -- unless of course you are interested in purchasing another vehicle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the exact same issue even when turning off protected mode... memory usages are fine until I open up certain PDF drawings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to Security (enhanced) unchecked Enable protectected mode at startup then go to folder at c:\program files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat.  Then right click acrobat then click compatibility then click change settings for all users.  Select compatibility mode windows 8 and click Run this program as administrator click apply then ok.  Now it should be fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines