• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC freezing or "not responding"

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed Acrobat DC.  I previously used Foxit Phantom.  Now when I am in "My Computer" and I either mouse-over or try to open a PDF file, it freezes for about 10 seconds and says "not responding" at the top.  It always works again after the 7-10 seconds.  Very annoying.  This never happened when using Foxit.  Has anyone else had this problem?  How do I fix it? 

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 190 Replies 190
New Here ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues. Running an iMac with El Capitan v 10.11.6, Acrobat Pro DC and Pitstop Pro 13 update 2. Used to have no issues at all but things started getting flaky about a month ago. Pitstop selection tools did not work sometimes,steadily getting worse until they would not work at all. Often using Pitstop tools would cause Acrobat to hang indefinitely until I had no choice but to force quit the application. I can't determine if it is an Enfaces software issue, Adobe issue or perhaps a Mac issue. Enfaces issued a statement regarding a work around; launch acrobat but before opening any file, got to the "about Pitstop "info screen. Close it out and then the Pitstop tools work agin.... for a while. I have tried re-installing Pitstop, also Acrobat (even going so far as to re-install Creative Cloud entirely... still having issues). I am considering doing a clean install of the Mac system software. It is just weird that it was working fine and now I am having issues.

Anyone experiencing the same issues or have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are experiencing would appear to be something different from what others are reporting.

If the problems you are experiencing occur only with Enfocus Pitstop installed, then it would be prudent for you to contact Enfocus Support and see if they know of an issue with their code or if they might be able to troubleshoot this for you. If they subsequently find a problem in their interface with Acrobat, they can directly provide this information to us here at Adobe for us to assist them with. (I know a number of their technical and management folks and we have an excellent working relationship with them!)

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. I have contacted Enfocus with your contact information and they will hopefully be contacting you soon! 

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Brad Richter

Prepress Coordinator

(314) 436-4369, ext. 118

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Unfortunately, we could not reproduce the same at our end.

Environment details:

Acrobat DC version: 2017.009.20044.222436

Platform: Mac El Capitan 10.11.6

Pitstop version: Pitstop Pro 2017

It would be great if you could please share with us a video recording of the problem capturing all the relevant information.

Thanks and Regards,

Girija Agarwala

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attempted to upload a video to YouTube illustrating the issue I am having. It was done at work on an iMac running El Capitan 10.11.6, using Apples’ Quicktime software. Unfortunately, I was not able to record an instance of Acrobat going into a “pause” mode where a dialog window pops up and shows that the application is paused. When that does happen, all I can do is force quit Acrobat and relaunch. The sound does not come out well on my playback. So please bear with me as this was my very first attempt at recording a video and uploading it! If you cannot access the video, please let me know and I will try again.

https://youtu.be/2KtpoAtr-uQ

Brad Richter

Prepress Coordinator

(314) 436-4369, ext. 118

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your cooperation.

I guess you couldn't reproduce the issue perhaps because you applied the temporary workaround of going to the "About PitStop Pro" window prior to using the PitStop Pro tool.

Please try to capture a video where you do not perform this step and see if you can still reproduce the issue and then share the video with us.

Regards,

Girija

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried repeatedly to catch the issue on video. I was successful once, but had the whole Mac freeze up on me due to an “out of memory” issue. However, after researching various websites and forums, I believe the issue is entirely an Apple/Mac issue with how application memory is handled in El Capitan and how it interacts with Acrobat DC. My solution was to stop using Acrobat DC and downgrade to Acrobat XI. No more issues with the Pitstop tools, and no more “out of memory” hangs. Not the solution I was hoping for, but the most important thing is that everything is back to working the way it is supposed to.

Brad Richter

Prepress Coordinator

(314) 436-4369, ext. 118

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Prepress,

Can you please share the call graph of Acrobat DC when it is freezing so that we can resolve the issue? The call graph can be created as per the steps mentioned in: Troubleshooting with Activity Monitor

Thanks,

Varun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on getting a call graph as requested. Have found something else about the issue. When I open a pdf and my Pitstop tools do not work as expected, I can do a “save as” of the file, close the original, open the duplicate file and the Pitstop tools work correctly!

Brad Richter

Prepress Coordinator

(314) 436-4369, ext. 118

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad,

Can you pls. confirm if the issue is reproduced when you follow the below steps:

1. Launch Acrobat without any documents initially.
  2. Wait a few seconds (say 30 seconds).
  3. Then open the pdf in the already launched Acrobat

Also could you pls. send the call graph for the issue.

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed the steps noted below and it did not work. Pitstop tools were not working correctly. Did a “save-as” of the file and then the Pitstop tools worked correctly. Attached are several Activity Monitor process samples taken while using Acrobat today. Hope they can shed some light on the overall issue. Still have not been able to get a video of the freeze/hang when it occurs. Will keep trying.

Brad Richter

Prepress Coordinator

(314) 436-4369, ext. 118

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue:  Acrobat DC worked fine until a few days ago. Now whenever it should start (either opening via the program icon of via opening a pdf file) no window appears on screen. The task manager reveals two instances of Acrobat Reader DC waiting for 'something' as not-active background processes (running as administrator). No apparent network usage or disk usage visible in the task manager.

Removing and reinstalling didn't work -- used the latest file from adobe.com. Though installing itself runs fine. Rerun EULA didn't,  as were the various other suggestions in this thread and elsewhere on the web (what I could find, that is) -- but I discarded the 'delete fonts' option.

I have two accounts on my PC, one as a Microsoft-registered account and one as a private account. The latter is normally used, both are 'administrators'. Remarkably, Reader DC does not work anymore on the private account but it DOES work on the MS account.

Same files (on the C: drive)... So it seems a registry setting (ore more) that has gone bad. Because of the reinstalling, the differences in the registry under HKEY_CU, Acrobat Reader are various. But perhaps I'm looking in the wrong section, who knows. Anyhow, a suggestion where to look specifically is appreciated, IOW what setting(s) might cause the program to idle in the background.

Also, as Reader DC used to work, a Microsoft update could have been the culprit -- but then it's odd all still works on the MS account.

For now PDF24 does the work, but I'm not sure Adobe wants that as a permanent solution... Any suggestion appreciated.

OS is Windows 10 Pro. All known updates present. Reader DC version is 2017.009.20058.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad,

Here is a link to the Solution Article on the Enfocus website.

Known issues and solutions | Enfocus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the work-around mentioned, going to the "About Pitstop" splash screen does solve the problem, but only temporarily. After a period of time the Pitstop tools get "locked-out" for lack of a better term. Another odd thing is that a window will sometimes pop up informing me that Acrobat has been paused. There is a button in the window that I can click on to resume Acrobat, but it does not work. Often I have to quit Acrobat, sometimes resorting to a force quit situation, then relaunch Acrobat and use the work around as before to get Pitstop functioning again. I will post a video as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an end user who is experiencing the same - I have tried kicking him out of the team account.  I uninstalled Creative Cloud as well as Acrobat Pro Dc, invited the user back into the account, downloaded Creative Cloud, downloaded Acrobat Pro DC and he is still getting the same freeze when he launches the app.  He is on a MAC running the latest of YOSEMITE.  I need a fix for this, Adobe?

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try follwing two workarounds for the Mac blank screen problem.

1. Try pressing Enter and then Esc key.
  2. Remove second monitor connected to your Mac and then restart Acrobat.

I hope this will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bruceb30226490‌, garueda‌,

Quick follow-up: we released a patch last week that fixes the blank screen issue in case of Mac dual-monitor set-up.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/acrobat-dc-october-29-2015.html

Please visit Help > Check for Updates to ensure you have the latest update. If you still run into any issues, please do let us know.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked for updates.....received "No Updates Available" message

No MAC here....running on two HP laptops....one with two monitors, one with one monitor....same problem on both......patience has run out....what is Adobe going to do?....I paid up-front for a subscription to a fully functional product and that's not what's being delivered.....not what I'm used to coming from Adobe.....obviously not enough manpower/brainpower being assigned to the solution....time to call in the "A" team!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Len0604‌,

The issue you have mentioned is different from the one which is being discussed in this thread (and was fixed in the Oct 29th patch).

We have tested Acrobat DC on Windows 10 and have not encountered any issues.

Could you please confirm if you are using Acrobat Pro DC or Acrobat Reader DC? What is the version that you have installed (visit Help > About Acrobat)? Are there any reproducible steps for this "freeze" issue? Is there a crash stack that you can share?

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashu,

Thanks for the reply! I’m using Acrobat Pro DC. I apologize if it’s not the same problem. It sounded the same to me. I’m using it on two different new HP Envy laptops. And upon further review. It’s working fine on one, but not the other. Should I try an uninstall/reinstall on the one that is freezing/not responding?

I have no idea what a crash stack is but, if you’ll walk me thru it, I’d be happy to provide. Anything to get the problem fixed.

Thanks,

Len

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Len0604‌,

Yes, please try repairing the installation by going to Add/Remove Programs. If that doesn't help, try running the cleaner tool "Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs" on your machine to remove all traces of the software and then reinstall Acrobat DC.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing Not Responding Issue on startup of Adobe Acrobat DC.

No antivirus error or other things. Everything from .dll to to registry running perfectly.

Im on windows 7 Home Basic. The issue still persists.

I could attach my computer log if I could but I cant here. Thank you. Oh and fix it please, because I cant change back to Adobe Reader 11.

Acrobat DC created the worst impression currently from adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @capital,

Please send me the computer log at asmittal@adobe.com and I will have engineering take a look. Any other information/steps to reproduce the problem would be most helpful.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent log via  Speccy to you. I recommend others who faced issue do this too, after removing pvt info from logs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines