• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC keeps freezing

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past week our whole team has suffered through Acrobat DC "Not Responding" (WIN 10). It opens and then freezes just after scrolling for 3 seconds or so - whether we scroll or not. It freezes up. Some have had success uninstalling and reinstalling. What say you?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

I had the same problem in Windows 8.1 and I had to deselect Run this program as an administrator in the file properties Compatibility tab in addition to the Enhanced Security changes that Amal mentions above. Doing both is what worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

I've been having the same issue since the 2022 update. I'm seeing the same issue on several installs at my job. Acrobat will basically become unresponsive for 3-10 seconds after startup. Doesn't matter if it's opening a document or starting Acrobat DC directly. 

It appears to be related to a user check as the program becomes responsive after I see the user icon update in the top right corner. 

I tried turning off protected mode and it does fix the issue. I have already tried repairing the instal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Turning off the protected mode at startup worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

I changed all of those suggested settings and none of them worked. So I uninstalled/reinstalled Acrobat and it's now working as designed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mrbrigham

We are sorry for the delay in response. I hope you would be able to fix it by now. 

If the issue still persists, we need some more information for a better understanding

• Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.
  • Are you on a personal network or on a company domain? Please try to switch the network and download the file to the computer locally and check.
  • For testing purposes, please try to turn off the protected mode. Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat / Reader DC (Mac) > Preferences > Enhanced Security  > Turn Off the Protected Mode and Uncheck the Enhanced Security and reboot the computer and check.
    Note: Please turn on the security after testing.
  • Try to Add file and Folder to the Whitelist of Acrobat / Reader DC. Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat / Reader DC (Mac) > Preferences > Enhanced Security  > Add File and  Add Folder path > Click OK

Also, make sure you have the latest version 20.006.20042 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but your tips are bogus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that the issue still persists, Would you mind collecting the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  , Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html  and Crash/freeze logs https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html  and share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud and generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

A new update for Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC is now available v20.009.20063. Please update the application to the new version. Go to Help > Check for Updates. You may also download the patch manually from the link (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html)and see if that helps.

Also, if you are using the dual monitor setup, please refer to the steps provided in the help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/dual-monitor-crash-windows.html)

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2021.007.20099

Freeze happens some seconds after every start of Acrobat DC with every PDF file, even when startin the app without PDF file.

I'm on a local computer with internet access without network.

When turning off the Protected Mode everything runs smooth without freezes again.
I don't have to uncheck "Enhanced Security" and can leave it checked and it works.

Can I use Acrobat DC without Protected Mode?
If not, how can I use PDF file in the meantime, until an update fixes the freeze?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well, for more information about the protected mode please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/protected-mode-troubleshooting-reader.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes protected mode is freezing Reader here as well. Disabling it solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/protected-mode-troubleshooting-reader.html and see if that works.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get the program to run long enough without freezing to disable Protected Mode. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joe27064999fn13 

We are sorry to hear that.

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html , reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues with a Windows 8.1 machine.  I have 2021.001.20145 release of acrobat reader DC. I have uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed and rebooted.  I open the app and as soon as I click in the app window it freezes and I have to close it with the Task Manager. I am runnig the same version  of this app on a windows 10 system with no issues (so far anyway). Both machines are 64bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. Please try to Turn off the protected mode for testing (Windows Only) Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Uncheck 'Enable Protected mode at start up' turn off the protected mode and Uncheck 'Enhanced Security ' > Click OK and reboot the computer once. 
Note: Please turn on the security aftertesting to avoid any security risks.

If it still doesn't work, create a new test user profile with full admin rights on Win 8.1 and try using the application there and check

Hope it will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem in Windows 8.1 and I had to deselect Run this program as an administrator in the file properties Compatibility tab in addition to the Enhanced Security changes that Amal mentions above. Doing both is what worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Acrobat DC keeps freezing and sometimes stays frozen. I have to restart my computer and I lose all of my work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that

Would you mind sharing the version of the OS and the Acrobat DC application you are using? To check the version go to Help > Aboput Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 21.07.20099 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and check.

Also pleaase go through the help pages listed below

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-system-errors-freezes-mac.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-system-errors-freezes-windows.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue since the 2022 update. I'm seeing the same issue on several installs at my job. Acrobat will basically become unresponsive for 3-10 seconds after startup. Doesn't matter if it's opening a document or starting Acrobat DC directly. 

It appears to be related to a user check as the program becomes responsive after I see the user icon update in the top right corner. 

I tried turning off protected mode and it does fix the issue. I have already tried repairing the install and also completely uninstalling acrobat and then re-installing. The issue comes back.

I'd prefer not to leave protected mode off since you stated earlier to turn it back on. I especially don't want to do this on my work computers.

Thanks,

Nathan

I'm currently using version 22.1.20117.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nathan, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my cry for
help. I have turned off the protected mode and it fixed it for me as well.

I am currently on version: 22.1.20117

Thank you,

Cindy Lawrence

[P.I Removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7/23/2022 - same here; mine doesn't even wait the three seconds; it begins to open then immediately closes; i DESPERATELY need it to work...ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html, reboot the computer and reinstall the application using the direct link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's next to unusable now. 2022 update. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling several time. No joy. Looks like its some background task you've made it do. It's that bad i've had to resort to making Microsoft Edge my default PDF viewer (until you fix)!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, and it not only freezing on start but keeps freezing every 10 sec. It's totally unusable now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, this is my system info. And I'm using version 2022.003.20263

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @newyellow 

We are sorry to hear that.

Have you tried to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... also please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Window and try using the application there and check.

You may also try to turn off the protected mode for testing. Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Uncheck "Enable protected mode at startup " Turn off the protected mode and Uncheck Enhanced Security > Click OK and reboot the computer.
Note: Please turn on the security after testing to avoid any security risk.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

I have been trying everything and followed everything mentioned in this page and my Acrobat Pro still freezes within 10 seconds of opening. I don't even see the protected option in the latest version of this. I have a Macbook Air, I have a business and can't afford for this to continue to freeze every single time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines