• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat freezes when closing minimized PDF files

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have a PDF file minimized with changes and I attempt to close it by clicking the X from the icon on the taskbar, Acrobat freezes.  Sometimes the pop up window asking if I want to save the file is visible and sometimes it isn't.  Even if it is visible I am unable to click any of the options.  The same issue is happening on multiple PCs and under multiple user accounts.  We are on Acrobat Pro 2022.003.20322 32 bit and running Windows 10 21H2 Enterprise.  Enable Protected Mode at startup is off, Enable Enhanced Security is off.  I have tried running with "Use only certified plug-ins" checked but that didn't help.

Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Seems like Adobe Acrobat was installed using the Creative Cloud App... just guessing.

Can you confirm how was Adobe Acrobat deployed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a package and used the Acrobat Customization Wizard to customize it then ran the installation manaully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this behavior only observed while working exclusively with the Acrobat program?

Or does it happen with other PDF viewers (i.e.  Microsoft Edge web browser, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are in the process of upgrading from Acrobat Pro 2015.  Some of our PCs still have 2015 installed.  I tested it on them and didn't see the same issue.  I also tested with Notepad and Excel and didn't have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day @mwwright24 ,

Just a quick follow up to see if you were able to fully upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded about half of our users.  The problem with Acrobat freezing is with the new 2022.003.20322 version after I've upgraded a user.  They didn't have this issue with 2015.  In addition to the freezing issue there are business reasons for not upgrading everyone at once.  

I did some more testing yesterday and found that the issue goes away if I check the option to "Enable Protected Mode at startup (Preview)".  Unfortunately one of our business apps requires this option to be disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.

If you need help with doing more legwork let me know I can try and find more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I assume this is a bug.  I reported it as a bug to the Acrobat UserVoice page but haven't gotten a response yet.  I am curious if anyone else can reproduce the error.  Here are the steps:

1. In preferences uncheck Enable Protected Mode at startup then close and reopen Acrobat.
  2. Minimize a PDF file that has been modified but not yet saved.
  3. Hover your mouse over the taskbar thumbnail of the PDF, but don't restore the window, then click the x from the thumbnail to close the file.
  4. At this point Acrobat freezes on every PC I've tested in our office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... sounds like a an error that could be resolved in Edit => Preferences => "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer, and disabling that option.

Also, maybe by disabling Touch Mode => Never autodetect

OR,

On MS Windows File Explorer, you may also disable the Preview Pane and additionally consider this tip:

The desired behavior ( instead of freezing or crashing ) should be Acrobat bringing that minimized window up and a dialog windows pops up asking the user to save the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue isn't with the thumbnails in File Explorer, it is the taskbar thumbnail.  I found another article from the tenforums site that has helped.  The registry setting from the article keeps the preview from displaying while your mouse is over the taskbar thumbnail.  This seems to be a workaround for the problem.  It gives the user time to click the X to close the PDF before the preview displays.  The preview displaying while the dialog is opening to prompt the user to save seems to be what is causing Acrobat to freeze.   I still consider this to be a bug, but this registry setting may be a usable workaround for now.  Thanks for the help.

Here is a link to the article:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/86544-change-taskbar-thumbnail-live-preview-hover-delay-time-win...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines