Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Acrobat freezes while adding bates numbering ("Scanning for headers and footers")

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

I am trying to use bates numbering to add information to every page of a document, except the first. I go throught the process, entering the output information. Then, I click 'Ok.' Normally, it takes you to a form to put what you want to add, where you want to add it, etc. For some reason, Acrobat is saying "Scanning for Headers and Footers" and then does nothing. I can't 'X' out of the message. I can hit 'close' on the edit PDF menu and even reopen the bates number menu, but the 'Scanning for Headers and Footers' message stays and prevents me from actually using the feature.

macOS v. 11.4

Acrobat Compatibilie: Works on this computer 

Acrobat v. 21.0

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive please download it to your computer locally and then try to add bates number and check.

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version of the application go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version 21.05.20058 installed go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described in the help page https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

Also please try to create a new test user account with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there

You may also check the steps shared here - https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-system-errors-freezes-mac.html

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines