• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat: I don't want any AI in my Adobe Apps. Can AI be turned off?

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want any AI in my Adobe Apps. Can AI be turned off?
In addition, my Acrboat says to update it, but CreativeCloud says it is up-to-date. I click Restart and it crashes.

ACrobat_update_No_UpdatesAvailable.png

TOPICS
Modern Acrobat , PDF , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Hi @thomasb14279947 and @Raz Naz 

Thanks for reaching out. 

The Acrobat's generative AI features are currently in beta, and the AI Assistant and Generative summary are available for testing and feedback.

To turn off the feature, navigate to Acrobat's Preferences > Generative AI from Menu in Windows and Acrobat in Mac. 
To turn off the generative AI features, deselect Enable generative AI features in Acrobat, then select OK. Restart the application.

AnandSri_1-1708688271718.png

If you are on a Mac machine, and the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Any AI functionality should be an explicitly opt-in feature, which requires manual installation and not just a 'switch' that automatically turns itself back on per update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @thomasb14279947 and @Raz Naz 

Thanks for reaching out. 

The Acrobat's generative AI features are currently in beta, and the AI Assistant and Generative summary are available for testing and feedback.

To turn off the feature, navigate to Acrobat's Preferences > Generative AI from Menu in Windows and Acrobat in Mac. 
To turn off the generative AI features, deselect Enable generative AI features in Acrobat, then select OK. Restart the application.

AnandSri_1-1708688271718.png

If you are on a Mac machine, and the app is crashing, please try this Preferences settings and let us know if that works for you: 

Navigate to the Preferences(Cmd+K)>General>Select "Show home screen when all documents are closed" Click OK, relaunch the app and check.

To learn more about the Generative AI feature, see this article. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand Sri,

Thank you for trying to help. The point was not to temporarily disable a beta feature. I had already disabled the AI beta features via the same togglebox in preferences you mentioned, before I even commented.

I do not want a feature installed and ready lurking in the background with only a simple toggle in settings that keeps it from activating and violating my privacy forever. I want to install features I want to use and not have features I do not want to use hogging my resources or threatening to switch itself on remotely at Adobe's whim with a pushed update.

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not want a feature installed and ready lurking in the background with only a simple toggle in settings that keeps it from activating and violating my privacy forever. I want to install features I want to use and not have features I do not want to use hogging my resources or threatening to switch itself on remotely at Adobe's whim with a pushed update.

By @Raz Naz

There is nothing to install. It's basically only a switch. Setting it on will communicate with the AI system located on Adobe's computers. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everyone who is saying that we do not want to opt out; it should be the default. Opt in should be the option. And my version does not have a Generative AI option to either opt out of or into. Adobe is getting as bad as Microsoft: they force their features on you and then give bad instructions on how to delete or disable them. Fortunately, I don't have to use Adobe any longer; most text programs both read and write it. Using Adobe is merely a convience. Things like this make the pain not worth the gain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already disabled it. I don't want it on my screen at all. I've accidentally clicked it several times. I want it gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This setting doesn't work. It's allready turned off and the feature is still there.

Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Adam35706546pnyf & @tony_72000 

I hope you are doing well, and thanks for reaching out. 

Please see the article to turn off the feature through the registry on the new/modern Acrobat: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/disable-generative-ai.html

Acrobat Enterprise Toolkit (ETK) preference reference. The option is only available for Acrobat desktop.

I hope this helps.

~Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that doesn't work. I've got it disabled there and every time I open a document I still get a stupid AI Assistant dialog box in the top right corner. And to make matters worse it keeps you from doing anything with the document. Can't even page through a file with the arrow keys because that dialog box stays active for so long and makes the app think I'm interacting with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the AI enabled and I do not get this dialogue box.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I have it deactivated and this what I get. It's annoying and unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this thread Re: remove AI assistant button - Adobe Community - 14436115

you can revert to old interface in acrobat to get rid of ai

• On Macs, go to the View menu and select Disable New Acrobat. (I'm not on Mac, so I cannot test).
  • On Windows, to the hamburger menu in the upper left corner (where the old File menu used to be) and select Disable New Acrobat, it's about 2/3 down the menu (this worked for me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect this worked. No more AI dialog box interfering with my workflow. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh THANK GOD for you! It worked!

A little baffling that the Adobe support team couldn't provide this answer. LOL Perhaps they really want us to use the New Adobe. <eyeroll>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This. 100% I didn't have the Generative AI option either, so Disable New Acrobat works perfectly!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed the instructions, but I can't get rid of the AI in Acrobat. I tried truning it off in preferences, but, according to the checkbox, it wasn't enabled. Still, I tried enabling it, returning to a document, and disabling it. That didn't help. I really don't like having a button that keeps emiting pop-ups inviting me to use it cluttering the screen and distractingh me from my work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines