• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat shows Installed and "up to date" in Desktop Creative Cloud, but "Open" is Greyed Out

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm burning through my 1-week trial and still cannot actually use Acrobat desktop.  A half-dozen times, I have tried downloading Acrobat from different screens and options (VERY confusing) and was getting CC, but with no progress bars and no identifiable progress after overnight tries.

Finally, miraculously, CC was suddenly installed, while I wasn't trying to download it.  Then, I tried to use that to download Acrobat.  A spectacularly opaque process followed, but I later stumbled onto a CC listing of desktop apps and Acrobat was there.  It was in the "Installed" section with a status of "up to date," but the "open" button was greyed out.

I have tried the CC uninstaller to repair and later, to uninstall it.  I reinstalled and ultimately reached the same point.  Acrobat installed and up-to-date, but not open-able.

One of my PCs still has Acrobat Pro 2017, and I didn't have anything NEAR this much problem getting it set up and working.

4 days to go on free trial, and so far, I haven't been able to "trial" anything.

ANY help would be welcome, as almost ANYTHING will be more than I've figured out on my own at this point.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you run it from the Start menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Start menu, I have the option of my pre-existing installation of Acrobat Pro 2017 and "Adobe Acrobat," but the latter only takes me to a copy of Adobe Reader that I use for reviewing files created through Acrobat to make sure they display and perform OK.  That's it for Acrobat options from the Start menu, I'm afraid.

Worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, what are you trying to install anyway? Acrobat Pro or Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion.  Acrobat Pro.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming your computer meets the current system requirements:

• Windows 11 (64-bit), Windows 10 versions 22H2, 21H2, 21H1;
  • MacOS 13 (Ventura), 12 (Monterey), macOS 11 (Big Sur).

- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/system-requirements.html

Go to your Windows Start Menu.

Right Click on Acrobat icon. 

Select More > Run as Administrator.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy --

Thanks, but the Actobat Icon on my Start menu brings up Acrobat READER.  The only other Acrobat icon I have in start is for a pre-existing copy of Acrobat Pro 2017 from ... well, 5 years ago, that I still use.  I wanted to use the free trial to see if the CC version of Acrobat Pro was worth going from an already-paid-for copy to the brand new version with all the upgrades and enhancements that I ASSUME Adobe has added in the meantime.

Thanks, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if your computer meets specs, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

reset the cc desktop app by making sure it's in the foreground, then press:

Win: Ctrl + Alt + R
Mac: Cmd + Opt + R

if that fails, repair per https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

if that fails, uninstall using the correct uninstaller from https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes... and then reinstall using*

if that fails, do a clean cc install carefully following each applicable step:

uninstall every cc app including preferences per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

then uninstall the cc desktop app, again using the correct uninstaller per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes...

clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

check for, and if available, update your os

if windows is your os, repair all ms visual c++ versions that can be repaired (use google if you don't know how to do this)

if windows is your os update your ms visual c++, if it can be updated (use google if you don't know how to do this)

restart your computer (don't skip this)

reinstall the cc desktop app using the "alternative download links" at the bottom of the page at https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

use the desktop app to install your cc programs/trials

NOTE: win 11 users that have trouble with the latest win 10 installer often have success with the older win 10 installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kglad -- thanks. 

I'll wander off now and start working through the steps that you've liad out.

FWIW, I'm trying to get the trial going on either of two systems right now.  One is Win10 and one is Win11, and so far, I'm having the same dead-ends on both.  Thanks for mentioning it though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's pretty unclear what's happened on your computer.  but cleaning and reinstalling should get us to the same spot.  don't forget to check if your win 10 computer is compatible with the cc desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Actually, part of what's confusing me is that whatever's wrong is wrong on two systems with different version OS's.  I hate mysteries.

In any case, yes, cleanse-and-reinstall fixes all kinds of tech problems.  So I may have taken the long way to get here, I'll probably end up in the right place.

If not, I'll certainly be back.

Thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome and keep us updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update, as promised.  I ran out of time to perform volunteer product support for a multi-billion-dollar, multi-national corporation in order to get the desktop installation to complete.  So on the last day of my trial, I gave up and cancelled the subscription.  This community has been a big help, but I figured if I can't get any better support from a company I'm planning to pay for their services than I've seen so far, I don't want to see what sort of support I can count on AFTER they've locked me into an annual commitment.  I have worked a tech help desk during my career, and I have no real interest in doing that again, much less for free.  I am intensely disappointed in Adobe and greatly thankful to this community.

<rant /off>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry to hear that. but if you decide ti give adobe a chance there are 3 ways to contact adobe; chat, phone and twitter:

chat:
use a browser that allows popups and cookies, and click here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human.

phone:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

twitter:
tweet @AdobeCare

p.s. if you're contacted by anyone (via email or private message), it's much more likely to be a scammer than an adobe representative. ie, double check for an employee badge if contacted in the forums and look for an adobe.com domain in the email address if you click reply to an email. then check again and be very suspicious. any other method of contacting (or offering to contact you) is almost certainly a scam, https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/staying-safe-in-the-adobe-support-com...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kglad --

Thanks again. 

I'll bear that in mind, but as you say, it can take a while to reach a human, and when I do, I'm going to get an opportunity to help solve what I believe is an Adobe problem - either with the package or the documentation.  And based on what my experience during my "trial" period (the irony of that term isn't lost on me), I can't be sure that, even then, the problem will be resolved.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome, (and best wishes whatever you decide.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines