• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro Not Responding and constanly crashing (windows 11)

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5 computers all with 12th gen i9 CPUs and EVGA 3080 Ti GPUs with each holding 64-128 GB of G. Skill RAM. Out of all 5 computers Adobe Acrobat is Not Responding and crashes. I have updated each computer, followed ALL of your troubleshooting methods on your website and in these forums. Accumilated 10-12 hours of my own time following Adobe guidelines to "fix" their program. Yet, the program is unusable. I even spent my own money to have two SEPERATE IT companies remote in on all FIVE of my computers to try and find the problem. $617 later they can't even find the problem to make Adobe not crash. I am paying to use your software and paid a 3rd party to try and find out why its crashing. Still, I am left with a non functioning software. How is this even possible? 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

Is this an issue started recently after you updated the application?

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Check my solution above: 

1. Uninstall Acrobat pro

2. Install Reader 

3. Disable Protected mode in settings (security)

4. Install/upgrade to Acrobat pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Dear Amal,

Thank you for your reply, but I followed the second suggested solution (install reader first) and so far it works fine. If crashes start to occur again I will do as you advise in order to generate the needed logs.

Kind Regards
Yiannis N. Panagiotou

[P.I Removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

This is probably an edge case, and certainly a "DOH!" / facepalm / 1D10t issue on my part, but in case it helps someone:

Acrobat repeatedly "Not-Responding" was caused by a file with an invalid network path in the "Recent" list, in my case.

The "Recent" list is apparently re-read periodically throughout normal app usage, and for each entry an attempt is made to follow the path and interrogate the file in some fashion (I suspect for grabbing the first page as a thumbnail).

Using Acromon and Procm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

After navigating the Adobe website multiple times I finally found the correct place to download the app, and it now works. The URL is https://get.adobe.com/reader/download?os=Windows+10&name=Reader+2024.001.20615+English+Windows%2864Bit%29&lang=en&nativeOs=Windows+10&accepted=mss&declined=&preInstalled=&site=landing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Perhaps I was having a slightly different not-responding problem, but I carefully went through all the settings and turned off anything that would require a ping to the internet. I haven't had the problem since doing that. I turned off perhaps 4-5 different settings that looked to be on by default. I wish I could tell you which one was causing the hanging, but I haven't had the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Linn26295150mrt4 

We are sorry to hear that.

Would you mind collecting the crash logs as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html and sharing them via the document cloud link as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html for further investigation?

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amal. 

I got sick and tired of Acrobad (misspelling intended) pro not working. 

I decidet to uninstall Acrobat pro and install Reader instead. Reader worked great. 

When I opened a PDF-file, Reader asked me to install Acrobat Pro to get full benefits of my Pro-subscrition. By mistace I clicked install, and quickly regreted that. 

As the install was in background, I managed to enter program settings and disable protected mode, which other support posts states to do. I have not been able to access settings in Acrobat pro, as the program has crasched before beeing able to click anything. 

Reader updated and now I have a working Acrobat Pro. 

Protected mode seemed to be the problem, but when beeing unable to access settings to disable it, its kinda hard to figure out. Is it possible to make protected mode off as system standard? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win11 and Acrobat installed form creative cloud app here. The same, cannot even manage to click HELP when opening PDF or just Acrobat, it crashes instantly. Clean reinstall helps for a few "openings" and then it begins again. Seems that the current Acrobat build is broken on Win11. Did THIRD clean uninstall of adobe software and waiting for a newer build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check my solution above: 

1. Uninstall Acrobat pro

2. Install Reader 

3. Disable Protected mode in settings (security)

4. Install/upgrade to Acrobat pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did everything through step 3, but when I try to upgrade to Pro (I have a serial number), it says "You have Adobe Acrobat (64-bit) (Continuous) already installed. Please uninstall that product before proceeding with this installation.

Device name Bobs-Work-Laptop
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 12.0 GB (11.8 GB usable)
Device ID 2C072D2F-C375-458F-9AA3-88BEB6633F04
Product ID 00325-96575-52581-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎10/‎13/‎2022
OS build 22621.2134
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22659.1000.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thanks to you.  This fix worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody whom it might be useful for, creative cloud acrobat pro is still broken on WIN 11 22H2, as a temporary measure I've clean-uninstalled all adobe software using their official cleaner:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

then I used this guide to install a standalone version of acrobat pro 2020 (Acrobat_2020_Web_WWMUI.zip):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/i-want-to-install-acrobat-dc-only-without-creativ...

This one works alright and it has all the functions I need (unsure whether it even has any differences to the creative cloud version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing here worked, so I ended up doing a full reinstall of Windows 11, and then reinstalling Acrobat DC. So far, so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! Acrobat is a joke on Windows 11. Crashes all the time!!! PLEASE FIX IT AND COMPENSATE US!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ioannis5C65 

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that

To investigate further, we would need the crash logs from the affected machines. Please follow the below to generate the crash logs: Press the' Start' key and search for 'cmd'. Launch the Command Prompt in admin, i.e. 'Run as Administrator mode. Run these four commands in a one-by-one manner:

• REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps"
  • REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpFolder /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps"
  • REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000040
  • REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpType /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000002

Retry the scenario where Acrobat crashes. Press Win+R and type "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" and press Enter. You will see the .dmp file generated file recently. Please share that dump with us.

Note: The file will be large, so upload it to the Dcoument Cloud storage, generate the share link and send it to us: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/home/ 

Also, please share the Acrobat.dll,AcrobatRes.dll,Acrobat.exe present at the installation location –

For 64-bit - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat
For 32-bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat

Thanks for your time and your cooperation on this.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Amal,

Thank you for your reply, but I followed the second suggested solution (install reader first) and so far it works fine. If crashes start to occur again I will do as you advise in order to generate the needed logs.

Kind Regards
Yiannis N. Panagiotou

[P.I Removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to Amal's advice about using the Acro  Cleaner Tool:  the web page he directs us to states that "The tool cannot be used with any Creative Cloud products or Acrobat delivered with CS products. It can only be used for standalone versions of Acrobat and Reader."   But my Acrobat was in fact delivered as a CS product.  So what is the best fix for my version of this problem?  When I launch Acrobat, I get a black sreen for a few seconds, and then it disappears.  I had uninstalled and reinstalled after getting the "internal error" message on launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably an edge case, and certainly a "DOH!" / facepalm / 1D10t issue on my part, but in case it helps someone:

Acrobat repeatedly "Not-Responding" was caused by a file with an invalid network path in the "Recent" list, in my case.

The "Recent" list is apparently re-read periodically throughout normal app usage, and for each entry an attempt is made to follow the path and interrogate the file in some fashion (I suspect for grabbing the first page as a thumbnail).

Using Acromon and Procmon helped reveal the issue, the pervasive re-parsing of the "Recent" list, and the timeout waiting for a network response.

Removing the offending invalid network file entry from the "Recent" list fixed the issue.

Other thoughts: The single invalid file path in the recent list always returned from unresponsive after about 20-30 seconds, not causing a crash.  Though too much impatient clicky-clicky would cause it to crash.  If there were more than one invalid network file path in the list, it would likely compound the wait times to the point that the app would certainly have been unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Emmanuel28003675qkho for this tip! Acrobat hast been driving me nuts for months for this very reason, and has been gumming up other programs at the same time. I cleared the Recents list (Home - Recent, then click the box to select all and click Clear Recent). It now works smoothly again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Emmanuel28003675qkho, 

This worked for me as well, cleared out the recent file list and working much better now.  So annoying, every time I opened any pdf file up I would get the circling the toilet bowl not responding thing for a brief period, that felt like forever!  thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I have to modify my answer, it's still happening.  Even with a cleared out recent list, fire up adobe and within a couple of seconds I get the not responding nonsense that feels like forever.  Eventually goes away but happens every time you start it up.  Have changed numerous preference setttings but haven't found anything yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Acromon and Procmon (which is what our kind friend Emmanuel28003675qkho did) to monitor Adobe when you start it up and while you're running it to find out what is holding it up. I hope this helps!

Thanks!

AL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my fix didn't help.  Hope you got it handled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much @Emmanuel28003675qkho!

This has been driving me and my co-worker nuts for a very long time, and I had even lost all hope in Adobe after trying many different fixes and suggested solutions. The program was literally unusable, and it made no sense because we are running extremely powerful machines and everything is up to the latest updates and versions. We've started to think that Adobe messed up on these newer versions (which they did in a way) because this has never happened with older versions or our past experience. I can't express how grateful I am right now.

YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're too kind.  Thank you.  I know this is one of a few issues that cause the same behavior but for enterprise/coprporate users I suspect it's the main cause.  Glad I could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a lifesaver, starting about 3 weeks ago, I would have to wait 10-15 seconds every time I opened Acrobat or a new file, which might be 100+ times while I'm doing paperwork. It got to a point where I would open the file and then go browse Reddit for a minute while a waited so I wouldn't put my computer through a wall. I cleared recent and everything works perfect now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same problem of the not responding for 20-30 seconds even after changing preference of Documents in recently used list to zero then verify that no recent files are shown in the list. Guess I'm going to have to try using Acromon and Procmon. And like you all said, I never had this problem before a few months ago. Everything was working fine. Adobe, please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble as well!  Cannot print anything from Adobe Acrobat Pro!  Freezes and goes to not responding error.  Irritating how slow it is.  And I have to export to a jpeg to print out docs.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AAPRILDD 

Please collect the crash logs as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html and upload them to any cloud storage , generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines