• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe PDF / Scroll bars still missing

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked at all the posts and their answers. It's very frustrating. I've done all the suggestions. Still no scrollbar. If I adjust the page size manually -- pull it in or out -- the bars appear for a few seconds then disappear. I can't grab them.

I cannot scroll up/down or side to side. Mac Ventura. Acrobat Pro version 2023.006.20320

Any other ideas or will there be an update to fix?

TOPICS
How to , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Finaly fixed in the latest February update!

There is a new Preference under Page Display: Always show Scroll bars!

And also set the preference to Enable scrolling under Page Display, Page Layout, and the we are finally(!) good to go!

IMG_3454.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024
Community Expert , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Afb1.pngafb2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Thanks for the work you did with this.

The thing is, when I view a document like your 2-page doc, I don't have the scroll bar. But I guess this is because you have continuous scrolling enabled, and not single page view.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 419 Replies 419
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal

Can you help here, please? I would echo the frustrations of other users coping with no scrollbars when trying to work with the program.
OK, I have just read an article that explained about the Preferences / Page Display / Always show scroll bars option. Once I'd ticked that, hooray, the scrollbar is back in Adobe on my main Mac (running Monterey).
However, despite just updating Adobe on my Macbook Pro, the "Always show scroll bars option" just ISN'T there. I'm running Catalina 10.15.17. So ... basically, I can no longer mark proofs on the Macbook – the loss of a scrollbar makes it totally useless.

Something else that has drastically affected functionality is that now if I send myself a document in which I've already ticked some comments, Adobe no longer shows me the ticked comments. Who thought that was a good idea?!!! I've read that there's a way of preserving them, but why this change? These are MY documents within MY own devices with comments that I've ticked because I've looked at them ... why on earth should Adobe change anything about them when I choose to send them to another device?! Unbelievable! And completely unusable. I can't start a job on one device and complete it on another until one day I've rummaged around about how to do this AND worked out whether it's efficient to do what's suggested about the "status" of each comment or something ... 
I've offered to be involved in research. Do you ask professional editors and designers about things ...?! This thread would suggest not. The comment about above a car without wheels is so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o true!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry for the trouble and the experience you had.

This issue is already reported to our engineering team and they are actively working on it. The fix will be available in the future updates.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and yet we are still waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have now managed to get scrollbars back on Catalina 10.15.7 on my Macbook Pro. At first I thought I'd discovered that I couldn't get them on the Macbook and was frustrated (my previous post_, but then tried again and have been able to get the same Adobe Acrobat Pro version on both my Macs:

Adobe Acrobat Pro 2024.002.20857

Under Preferences > General there IS now the option you can tick: [√ ] Always show scroll bars.

I know when I tried getting a new version of Adobe on the Macbook Pro that it didn't seem to work at first and I downloaded/installed again some days later, without checking version numbers, so maybe it was my fault ... or perhaps I needed to re-start and had forgotten to do that the first  ... I can't honestly remember, but that's maybe possible. I'm no techno star, which is why I'd prefer it if obvious navigation features didn't disappear in the first place ...!

Scrollbars have also disappeared on my 89-year-old Mum's version of Adobe Reader and she's been upset because she used to be able to read PDFs and then suddenly she thought SHE was doing something wrong. She couldn't describe it as "the scrollbar having disappeared", but rather "I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's stuck and I can only see half a page". It suddenly dawned on me that she had the same issue! None of us live near her, so she's waiting for one of us to visit to download the new version and enable this (very obvious!) function again.

This scrollbar decision was a ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-d move made by someone who was ONLY thinking about tiny screens!

Hopefully, it is now resolved if people find this thread and/or download a new version and fiddle around to find it.

---

My note above about comments remaining ticked on a document when you move it to another device is perhaps going to take some time because I'll never trust it for a major job until one day I have "time on my hands" to check with a small bit of work.  I can't keep downloading new versions in the hope that this fix has been done and in the meantime I have to assume that I can't start a checking-corrections-off job on one device and finish it on another.

To anyone who reads these threads with my low level of techno-know-how, please don't give up. Try downloading and installing a new version ... and good luck ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this?

I'm on version 2024.002.20857 now and nothing has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It is still work in progress. We will keep you updated as soon as we get any information.

Thanks for your understanding.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal, please tell me that you're joking? This scroll bar issue is now over a year old and clearly your users are not happy with the changes. How hard is it just to go back to live, permanent, always showing scroll bars???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

J.M.S. Are you asking about scrollbars or comments?

Scrollbars are working fine on my two Macs now (Monterey and Catalina). Did you restart after installing? I can't remember whether I did or not, but as it didn't work at first on the Macbook Pro, I wonder if I'd forgotten to do that. I've noticed you've got the same Adobe version as I have, so I'm hopeful that it will work for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am asking about scroll bars in single page view, with full page view and that still doesn't work.

Meanwhile the version is 2024.002.20893.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J.M.S. I'm familiar with single page view, but sorry not full page. I'm attaching screen grabs of a blank page with a visible scrollbar on single page view and then on full screen(? – sorry, I genuinely don't know if that's the same as full page), but there's very possibly another setting that I don't know about, sorry. Trying to send hope, but sorry if this is still frustrating. This is Adobe Acrobat Pro. I don't know about Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The behaviour in Acrobat Pro is the same as in Acrobat Reader, I am using both.

If you choose "zoom to page level" in the zoom-menu, so that the full page is shown in the size of the window, you will see that the scroll bars will disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi J.M.S.

Thanks for explaining about Zoom to page level. It's not something I ever use –I do View > Zoom > Fit height if I want to see a page fitting the window. However, I've just had a go at using Zoom to page level.

In order not to show any pre-published confidential material, I created a  new blank PDF page and, as you say, selecting Zoom to page level, there's NO scrollbar.

However, it dawned on me that if there's only one page in the doc and we're viewing at page level, there's nowhere to scroll to ... and maybe that's what the developers thought ...

... so I tried adding a second blank page and immediately the scroll bar appeared (see attached – this time with more helpful file names). 

I then had another thought and deleted my extra page again so I just had a 1-page doc. Viewed at Fit Height or Zoom to page level, it tells me it's showing at 59.8% and there's NO scrollbar (see attached).

However, if  I increase the percentage size to 75% so now not all the page is visible, the scrollbar appears.

I don't know if this helps and sorry that I'll need to press on with work, so I can't reply for now, but fingers firmly crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the work you did with this.

The thing is, when I view a document like your 2-page doc, I don't have the scroll bar. But I guess this is because you have continuous scrolling enabled, and not single page view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I've seen other people refer to "continuous scrolling" and am not sure whether that's what I do or not!

In a 2-page PDF:

I've now ticked on Zoom > Zoom to page level ... fine ... but that's a different menu.

So then yes, in the  View menu > I tick Enable Scrolling ... and in a 2-page doc, the scroll bar appears.

If I change this and go back to View > Page Display >  Single Page View, true, there's no scroll bar.

... so I think I always keep it on View > Page Display >  Enable scrolling

For my kind of work, I can't see that I would need Single Page View and Enable Scrolling to work at the *same time, but obviously we all have different needs and ways of working. Please see below re Zoom > Fit Height ...?

* I do occasionally go through viewing each page (or each open spread) of a book quickly, fitting the window (Single Page or Two Page View). To do this, I'd click on the "Down arrow in a circle" on the toolbar to go to the next page (rather than scrolling) and I'd go down through the book clicking the Down arrow each time. (I don't know whether the down and up arrows are default buttons that appear, but I would hope so?)

If I wanted to jump roughly 2/3 down the doc without knowing the specific page number, I'd have it on View > Enable Scrolling and, now with the version of Adobe I've got, the scrollbars are back there permanently, so I'd use that.

Does this combination of menu options achieve what you're looking for?

View > Page Display > Enable Scrolling

AND

View > Zoom > Fit Height or Zoom to Page level (I get scrollbars with either of those options ticked, but only if Enable Scrolling is also ticked in the Page Display menu.)

This gives me the facility to scroll through a doc with each page fitting the window height, but maybe you're looking for something that I don't normally need.

As ever, hope it helps ...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for you time, but I already knew this, I just want the scroll bar to be visible with both single page view (so scrolling not enabled) and full pages, it worked like this before they changed everything and it fits my needs best. I am often working with documents that have several hundred pages, and every other setting means a lot less convenience to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, for some reason Single Page view still not shows the scroll bar 😵

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could be wrong, but I suspect from looking at your two-page screenshot, you are using a version of Acrobat Pro that is much earlier and still has the scroll bars in place – a version that I have to use all the time now and put up with the constant barrage of "Upgrade" announcements that stop my work. The new versions have all the tools in quite different places in the window, which means re-teaching the old muscle memory actions as well. But it has been a while since I actually tried upgrading, as I cannot afford the wasted time of going back to the version I must use at this time. (See mine about scrolling up and down 600 pages checking Endnotes and refs and proofing correx, etcetera.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're having trouble seeing comments in Acrobat, it could be due to a software glitch or version issue. On the other hand, if you want to boost your iPhone’s photo editing capabilities, try Remini For Android . This app leverages AI to effortlessly enhance your images. Any suggestions for fixing Acrobat comment visibility problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Acrobat on an iphone. I use it on a desktop like normal people. I know this whole scroll bar issue was to cater to iphone and mobile users, but by doing so, it alienated those of use who use it daily and have deadlines. I use a Wacom pen and scroll bars are the only way I navigate my apps. Without scroll bars, it is like driving a car without a steering wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Version 2024.002.21005

Still no scroll bars for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines