• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe PDF / Scroll bars still missing

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked at all the posts and their answers. It's very frustrating. I've done all the suggestions. Still no scrollbar. If I adjust the page size manually -- pull it in or out -- the bars appear for a few seconds then disappear. I can't grab them.

I cannot scroll up/down or side to side. Mac Ventura. Acrobat Pro version 2023.006.20320

Any other ideas or will there be an update to fix?

TOPICS
How to , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Finaly fixed in the latest February update!

There is a new Preference under Page Display: Always show Scroll bars!

And also set the preference to Enable scrolling under Page Display, Page Layout, and the we are finally(!) good to go!

IMG_3454.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024
Community Expert , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Afb1.pngafb2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 403 Replies 403
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very grateful that the missing scroll bar issue was fixed, but I'm still having a problem. Although the scroll bar stays present in most contexts, it does not if I'm in "single-page display, zoom to page level" -- in other words, when I press command-0. While I can still maneuver by using page-down and the scroll wheel, what is most natural to me is to click on the scroll bar. Is it something I'm doing wrong, or it is a feature rather than a bug? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reported this several times, but no one seems to care. To me, it is clearly a bug.

What is also strange, when I zoom in a little from the full page view, the scroll bar appears, but only for the current page, not for the entire document. Handling documents with several hundred pages has become very difficult and inconvenient for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have enable scrolling checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not checked, because I don't want this kind of scolling. I want to scroll by full pages and still have a scroll bar. It worked before Adobe messed everything up with the "new framework".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the page zoomed to fit (zoom to page level) and enable scrolling unchecked there is no scroll bar because there is nothing to scroll. The whole page is showing and you have disabled scroll to next page. The easiest way to advance to the next page in this view is to use the space bar. Arrow keys advance to next or previous page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I have a 500 page document, that's a pain. It is easiest to navigate through large documents with the scroll bar. It was there before, so why shouldn't it now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just like thumbing through a book. You always see full pages, but you can get where you want fast and you can get a quick overview over the contents. To me that is much more useful than the enabled scrolling in acrobat.

The other thing is that visible scroll bars are very useful to see at one glace how long the document is and where I am in the document. Now sometimes I open a two page document and don't realize at first that it has two pages because no scroll bar is shown and to me that is a sign for a one page document.

So when I choose to always show scoll bars, they should always be shown, not only with scrolling enabled. Now the empty space for the scroll bars is wasted anyway but it has no scroll bars inside, which seems absurd to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Acrobat Reader Vers. 2024.0002.20687 still is a big frustration - the scroll bar still goes missing - this problem was already complained about in Sept last year -- Acrobats' developers even commented they know about it .... nothing happening to resolves the issue ----.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now other threads on the same topic were integrated in this one, I think this reduces the visibility of the still existing problems with the scroll bars, since this thread is marked as solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J. M. S. 

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

Have you tried the steps shared above in the correct answer? What happens when you try to use the scroll bar, do you get any error message? A small video recording of the steps and the issue would be very helpful.

What is the version of the OS and the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 24.02.20687 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Let us know how it goes.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Amal, on the off-chance that Adobe has restored the scroll bars in the very latest version, do we take it that it comes down to what age your device is and, therefore, what system you can run, so those of us who, for whatever reason, have to run older Macs, and therefore older systems (in my case Big Sur), will simply always be locked out...?  As we are for the latest updates to InDesign and more, and indeed, this is understandable, except for the critical fact that always active scroll bars are an utterly essential feature to our workload. Adobe adding and upgrading apps is the normal thing to do, but deliberately eliminating a vital feature for its users is utterly bewildering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Amal. 

yes, I have tried all the steps several times and it didn't work. I've also been on the phone with adobe support who told me to reinstall, which I did, und sent me links to instructions that didn't work as well.

How could anyone ever get an error message by trying to use scroll bars? This sounds extremely unlikely to me. The problem is that the scroll bars are missing, so I can't use them and I can't get error messages by trying to use not existing scroll bars.

My Acrobat version is 2024.002.20687, I am having the same problem in Acrobat Reader and in Acrobat Pro.

My OS version is macOS 10.15.7 and probably that is the problem, since others here with newer macOS version stated they finally got the scroll bars back.

At home I have a macbook with the newest available version of macOS monterey, that has the same problem and I cannot update to a newer macOS version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The Reason for the Scroll Bar not being visible is we have moved to a new framework and the Scroll bar would be available on scrolling. For your request to show the Scroll Bar, we have a plist that you can enable to honour system preferences for showing the scrollbar, for honouring the system scroll preference please create plist in

~/Library/Preferences in com.adobe.acrobat.pro.plist create this plist setting.

Amal_1-1714771596937.png

Choose Show Scroll Bars as Always under Appearance in settings for Mac.

Please let us know if the above share plist setting does not work for you.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet it would be so simple to move to a framework where it was an integral, automatic part of the program, like every other program. The same is true of the fonts list in Creative Cloud, which has no scroll bars either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this work with the next update of Acrobat Pro..?

We all know WHY the scrollbars are not showing – the designers of the new framework think the world works (or plays) in phone and tablet mode and not in real-world mode on desktop machines with large screens. They simply do not understand their users' work methods or do not care. This is the strange case of someone actually needing to reinvent the wheel with a new PDF app for those of us for whom permanent scroll bays are essential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quentin said:

"

Will this work with the next update of Acrobat Pro..?

We all know WHY the scrollbars are not showing – the designers of the new framework think the world works (or plays) in phone and tablet mode and not in real-world mode on desktop machines with large screens. They simply do not understand their users' work methods or do not care. This is the strange case of someone actually needing to reinvent the wheel with a new PDF app for those of us for whom permanent scroll bays are essential."

YES, YES, YES.

For goodness' sake, Adobe, please listen to what we're all saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For goodness' sake, Adobe, please listen to what we're all saying.

By @Melanie27443784ud6m

They don't. They simply don't listen, they simply don't care. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well.

We have checked on the latest beta build after enabling the preference as shared in the page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/scroll-framework-upgrade-macos.html. The scroll bar works fine in the comment panel.

Amal_0-1716997708033.png

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer.  They're working only on apps for phones and tablets.  I will NEVER do the work I do on either one, nor will most professionals, but Adobe couldn't care less.  They're just telling us that this is the way it's going, and if we don't like it we should find other jobs, I guess.  Just another instance of nothing being created for actual human beings anymore - everything's just about profits now.

Thanks for making my job a real PITA, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The Reason for the Scroll Bar not being visible is we have moved to a new framework and the Scroll bar would be available on scrolling. For your request to show the Scroll Bar, we have a plist that you can enable to honour system preferences for showing the scrollbar, for honouring the system scroll preference please create plist in

~/Library/Preferences in com.adobe.acrobat.pro.plist create this plist setting.

Amal_1-1714771596937.png

Choose Show Scroll Bars as Always under Appearance in settings for Mac.

Please let us know if the above share plist setting does not work for you.

~Amal

By @Amal.

I did this and it does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,
Please ask the engineers to reinstate the scroll bars.
For Adobe Acrobat reader users, it's a bit like a car without wheels.

Please don't force us all to use an alternative product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also, Amal, ask the engineers to try scrolling (without scroll bar tabs to grab and quickly move back and forth) a 600-page heavily marked-up InDesign-created PDF with all the editor's Comments showing down the side and Endnotes (yes, at the end...), each needing checking with each ref number throughout the text, and see how they like it...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But think of the cool programming they've done! Who cares if it's practical? It's like architectural criticism: a lot of chat about a lot of theory while the average person on the street has to suffer with an ugly building.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also, Amal, ask the engineers to try scrolling (without scroll bar tabs to grab and quickly move back and forth) a 600-page heavily marked-up InDesign-created PDF with all the editor's Comments showing down the side and Endnotes (yes, at the end...), each needing checking with each ref number throughout the text, and see how they like it...!

By @quentin1234

Absolutely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines