• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded video in a PDF file won’t play in adobe reader.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I embed a MP4 video in a PDF file, it plays nicely on Adobe Acrobat Pro, but not on Adobe Reader. (Both are the most recent edition, and run on Windows 10 Pro.) On reader, just the audio of the MP4 plays, but the image doesn’t show.

(I really don’t understand how Adobe add a feature to it’s PDF format that would be great if it worked, but turns out completely worthless since its own viewer can’t handle it.)

Does anyone know a solution or workaround?

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Hi,

I don't if that helps as I'm using Windows but I might be able to help you with the sound only/black sceen video. 

You need to change the graphic settings used by Adobe Acrobat Reader/Pro. I don't know where it is on Mac, but on Windows, you change it to power saving/integrated graphics instead of Nvidia for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Hi Thomas,

It's in your OS/graphic card settings.

Here's the way to change it in Windows: 

1. Search for Graphic Settings.
  2. In Choose an app to set preference, select Classic app, browse to your acrobat.exe file and click Add.
  3. In the Settings window, click Adobe then Options, and select Power Saving.

Adobe Troubleshooting soluce.png

If you have NVIDIA, you can also do it from the Control Panel, in Manage 3D settings > Program Settings.

ManonD_0-1648625399195.png

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gerald, scroll to the last post on this page which starts with "Thanks Amal!" 

Video can be embeded in PDF, however, the controls are not normal.See below.

Bernard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bernard,

Thanks a lot for your swift answer!

However, I tried (at least I think I did) every solution presented here, but nothing seems to work here. I still get a black rectangle with a green line and the sound. Can you tell me what actually solved the issue in your case? I am very disturbed by this issue, since all my course presentations are made this way, with embedded videos.

Best,

Gerald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue (vidoe clips playing as audio only), with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (64 bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that. Is this an issue with a particular video that you embed into the PDF file or with all the Videos? Please try with a different video file and check. 

Also, try the steps shared in the correct answer marked above and see if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal, with respect, please stop this nonsense with try this and try that. You, I and everybody knows that video and audio stopped working in PDFs a couple of years ago. Why? Please just be sincere and tell us why. In fact, post a PDF that you have created recently or do it now, it's really easy, just click add rich media and browse for a video. Then please attach it to your next post. I'm sure I'm not alone in eagerly awaiting your PDF with embedded audio and video. Made today. Come on, it's a 5 min job. Prove that you can still embed audio and video in a PDF today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bernard5ED8 

Hope you are doing well. I have tried to reproduce the issue on my end and created the PDF with Video and its working fine.

You may please find the sample PDF file here https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:1a7c9475-b3b1-49ab-94b7-9216fa1f0d04 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amal! Yes your video works.

I am using Adobe Acrobat btw, not Adobe Reader.

I have also added a video of mine underneath yours. It plays but there are no transport controls on either video. To control the videos in the PDF you have to right-click on the video and click 'disable content' or 'enable content' then you'll see a play button. Even after the video has stopped you still have to disable content and it will be ready to play. 

So, what about the controls? Inside the Properties of the file you can see that 'all controls' have been enabled, yet no controls to be seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/playing-video-audio-multimedia-formats.html and see if that works.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, with respect Amal, I thank you for sending us to the Adobe Help page but, you should assume we have already tried the usual way of doing this and we're here because it doesn't work.

We would need to you (Adobe) to show us how you have replaced the Flash video transport controls (now end-of-life) with something that does work please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Acrobat and Reader play most multimedia files, such as audio or video, using the built-in media player. (For the supported file types, see Play multimedia.) Multimedia content that requires additional resources to play, such as an external player or plug-in, is considered “legacy” multimedia content. You can control the use of external players or plug-ins in the Multimedia Trust (Legacy) preferences, as discussed in the help page shared earlier.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, done all that. Player controls still do not show.

Maybe instead of copy-pasting your entire post from the Adobe Help section you could actually show us a video with player controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You are correct. Player control options are limited to ALL or NONE now.

You may share your vote on the uservoice here https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/43874019-rich-me...

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm beginning to think that Amal is a bot. Seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernard

There isn't much that we can do, please share your vote on the above shared UserVoice link so that the engineering team may look into it.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but no.

Why is the Rich Media functionality still in Acrobat if it doesn't work properly?

I would like a senior mangagment person deal with this. Please elevate my enquiry or advise me how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have shared more details with you in a private message, please check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this problem solved? Because im also facing the same issue:
While attaching a video in the pdf, black display apperars and only the audio plays with those green waves.
What i have tried after reading all the threads:
1. Changed the graphics settings from power saver to integrated graphics
2. Added the two mentioned changes from the prefernce: Allow media from external softwares & 3d multimedia playing
3. updated to the latest version

But nothing worked till now.
I hope Amal that you understand our situation and send someone to solve this problem rather than coming back and saying "hey did you try this" for god's sake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gagan26393815qy50 

We are sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing the steps you did to add the video in the PDF file? Have you added the video in the document in the Adobe Indesign application and then converted the document into a PDF? If yes, please check the export settings of the Indesign Application once and see if that helps.

Thanks
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello amal, i dont use Adobe indesign, but i can share a screen recording the steps im following to add a video to the pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only Acrobat, you can add the InDesign media to the lust of functionality that adds video but doesn't work now too. I sort of get retirering why Flash was retired, but not replacing it with something mainstream and easy is beyond, especially when it comes from the company that is supposed to be industry stardard. But then I'm no guru, I've only been working with it for over a decade 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried your pdf, all I get is this:

mmc37_0-1662087452988.png

... tried enabling content the content etc etc, all I can manage it to be taken here: https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html
Yes, I too have read all the help content, and NOTHING works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use windows graphics in lieu of Nvidia or any other graphics. Change it from windows Display settings. It works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but, do you have to tell all your recipients/buyers/students of your PDF that they have to switch to Windows graphics. 

Look, as we have said, in Acrobat you can't even set player controls, it's greyed out, so when you say it works, can you set player controls? Does that work for you too now?

It's time for Adobe to release a new alternative to the PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit hard to use "windows graphics", when you are on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my god, this thread is open for more than an year now, since march 2021 to october 2022.
Amal please refer me in Adobe as an SDE and then please let me handle the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines