Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font family not converting from ppt to pdf

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with fonts not properly converting from PowerPoint to PDF. While I am able to get the main font in the family to convert from one format to another, I can't seem to get the formatted variants of it to do so (like bold, italicized, condensed, etc.). It all just ends up converting into the same main version of the font with all the formatting gone.

I've tried tinkering around with the "Embed fonts in the file" option in PowerPoint, and selecting the font to embed in the Adobe PDF Settings feature in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Neither has worked so far.

Thanks in advance for your help working out this problem.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would really help if you gave us some specifics. What platform (MacOS or Windows)? What version of Acrobat?

Exactly how are you creating PDF (exact steps since there are any number of paths, some of which are Adobe and others not)?

Some specifics about the fonts in question?

Note that the Embed fonts in the file option for PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office applications only works for TrueType (including TrueType OpenType) fonts (typically fonts with the .ttf file suffix). Microsoft refuses to embed OpenType CFF fonts (typically fonts with the .otf file suffix) into Office document files. Furthermore, only fonts that allow editable embedding can be embedded in an Office document file.

The other thing to consider which may or may not be the case here is that Office applications allow for faux italic and bold fonts when actual fonts aren't installed (or don't even exist) for those styles. For example, if you install font Glurbish Modern on your system, but not Glurbish Modern Italic, Glurbish Modern Bold, or Glurbish Modern Bold Italic, Office applications pretends that those styles are installed and most often displays and prints synthesized versions of same, but in situations for PDF export, may simply ignore those artificial faces.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put my bet on Dov's last suggestion

Office applications allow for faux italic and bold fonts when actual fonts aren't installed (or don't even exist) for those styles.

Do not click the little B or I icons. Choose the actual bold and italic fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Barbara+Ash  wrote

I put my bet on Dov's last suggestion

Office applications allow for faux italic and bold fonts when actual fonts aren't installed (or don't even exist) for those styles.

Do not click the little B or I icons. Choose the actual bold and italic fonts.

Regrettably, on Windows versions of Office, the only way to get to those actual italic, bold, and bold italic typefaces is to click on the icons. Without going to the Windows Fonts Control Panel, there is no way of knowing whether you have real or faux font styles.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regrettably, on Windows versions of Office, the only way to get to those actual italic, bold, and bold italic typefaces is to click on the icons. Without going to the Windows Fonts Control Panel, there is no way of knowing whether you have real or faux font styles.

Instead of clicking B or I, you can open the font menu to select a font. That way you can tell if the font is installed by looking at the message at the bottom of the Font menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, like getting to Los Angeles from San Francisco via Chicago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact problem. I am on Windows 10 and am trying to convert a PPT to PDF. The typekit font I am using is Interstate and nothing is bolded or italicized.

When I convert to PDF it changes the font.

I have done the same with another font (Proxima Nova) and it works fine when converting from PPT to PDF.

This needs to get fixed!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume by typekit you mean the Adobe Fonts service.

I tried to repeat your situation using the latest version of Acrobat Pro DC with PowerPoint on Office 365 under Windows 10 Pro x64. I activated Interstate Regular in Adobe Fonts, created the PowerPoint document and then created PDF via File=>Save as Adobe PDF.

Both the original PowerPoint document and the resultant PDF file are attached. The text was properly formatted with the Interstate Regular font in the PDF file.

How exactly are you creating the PDF? Hopefully not printing to Adobe PDF!?!?

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm having similar issues regarding fonts changing (bunching up) when saving (or printing) from Office 360's PowerPoint to PDF. The font itself is Bahnschrift SemiLight Condensed.

What do you mean by "Hopefully not printing to Adobe PDF!?!?"? I've had to "print" to PDF via the "Microsoft print to PDF" option to obtain the closest aproximation of the document, since Exporting or saving it any other way disrupts the font viewing (even if all the fonts are installed and embeded) BUT this method DOES NOT allow for a custom "print" size. The Microsoft print to PDF advanced options only allow for 10 paper sizes in it's menu and none of them are the "Slide" size, which IS available in the "Adobe PDF" Printer Properties: Adobe PDF Document Properties - Layout - Advanced... - Paper/Output - Paper size: Slide

This means that when the slide that wasn't created with a "Standard" paper size, printing it this way will always show white bands or columns around the document. 

(Working from a  Windows 10 x64 Lenovo P52 Thinkpad with Office 360 professional)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys - think I've found a generic solution to these kind of problems which worked for me. In  Power Point go into the Export menu. Select Change File Type and then select PowerPoint Picture Presentation. This creates another power point file where your slide are picture format. Then open this file and Export > Create pdf/xps document and your should find your PDF  manages all the fonts and graphics without a problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, that worked flawlesly. I didn't even need the Change File Type step. Just went straight to Export >Create pdf/xps and the new file was created with a .pdf extension.  Also, helps lock the content. THANKS RAR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Peter!  That worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me but everything became low-res , did that happen for you as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter. I am not able to get the Export option in my Powerpoint. Can you help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That is great and worked perfectly for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You sir, are the God of PowerPoint. Worked perfectly, thank you so muchhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a completely non-standard fix, but one I discovered by accident. If you highlight your text in PPT, right click, select "Format Text Effects" select "Text Fill & Outline" and give it 1% transparency, it will render correctly when it converts to PDF. Not ideal, but worked well enough for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use creat PDF, or save as PDF, I also faced the same problem. But when I use print, printer, Adobe PDF, the font will not change. I don't know the reason, I just wondered if the quality of the figure will change, because the size of PDF is less then the other two ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up on this post, I can reproduce the behaviour bvickers2015 described above.

I designed a PPT Master on Office 365 Mac which rendered to PDF without problems, but only on my mac. 
On the client's PC-side Raleway bold would be rendered als Raleway light or thin in the PDF they create. 

If they create a JPG from the PPT-File, all fonts are rendered correctly. 

Changing transparency on the text rendered the text correctly as well.
But as "bold" is missing and is used evrywhere around the whole PPT file, changing transparency is a possible fix for singular incidents, but not really an option. 

What causes this? Is it MSFT? Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read my response from last year on this thread. That is likely the cause of the problem. Whether we like it or not, Office applications on MacOS are not the same as the Windows versions of same, especially in terms of enumeration of fonts and their styles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting back to me, Dov. I read the whole thread before posting myself. The issues you mentioned (faux, ttf/otf, etc) Where correctly applied on both sides, tests in blanc presentations with fresh installs of the font went wrong as well. 
seems like the latest version of PPT does not have those issues, but we keep testing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dov. If I am using Powerpoint version 2007. How can I convert my PPT into a PDF without worrying about the change of fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the ONE TRUE SOLVE in my case/situation. THANK YOU BVICKERS2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bvickers2015  Why do you think this tricks Adobe/PPT?!?! This is such a bizarre solve. I'm so curious. I'll keep wondering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that adding text effects turns the text into a graphic. So it converts the same - but probably won't copy/paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines