Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font not available or can't be used in editing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody

I've reviewed the forums and have also been in touch with Adobe Support on this directly. But no solution as of yet. Would be grateful for any guidance.

I've just purchased Acrobat DC because I wanted to be able to edit PDFs. The file that I am trying edit is using the font:  "Officina Sans ITC Book".

However when I try to edit text in the file, it automatically defaults to a different font (Minion Pro) and a message pops up

"The original font Officina Sans ITC Book is not available or can't be used in editing. Adobe Acrobat DC is using the font Minion Pro in its place."

To resolve this, I purchased the "Officina Sans ITC Book" font package and downloaded it to my computer. It's working fine when I try to use it in Word. However, I still can't use it in Acrobat.

In the Adobe Distiller settings, the font is listed there as "always embed" under the "font settings".

Does anybody have any ideas? My company always use this font, so I need to find a way around this.

Thanks for your help

Conor

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Hi there,

Just come across this issue myself. Found a resolve, not sure if this will work for everyone. I was trying to edit a PDF that was using the Calibri font which I didn't have on my macbook. I then went and downloaded it using an external website but I couldn't use in it Acrobat. Acrobat uses fonts from 'Adobe Fonts' since the newest CC update. I found and downlaoded the font on Adobe Fonts and its now working.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Find your font on: https://fonts.adobe.com/

Make sure you are logged in.

Toggle "activate all fonts", once you've found the font you need.

Close all of Adobe products.

Make sure you are logged into creative cloud.

Restrart your PDF then finally try to edit your PDF again.

This worked for me! Good luck.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as everyone else. I am experienceing the same exact thing. It will allow me to edit one word but the second I move to another word or text or box it defualts to Geneva with the error message.

Its REALLY ridiculous how many people have complained about this same issue and there still hasn't been a solid resolution.

I have downloaded the font again to CC and installed it again, refreshed and synched the font again and again. Shut down adobe and the whole computer, restarted and still SAME EXACT ISSUE!!

ADOBE these are paying customers here.... are you even aware of the issue or should we start looking elsewhere for more reliable pdf editors and better customer service ????!!!! #adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font issue is a complex one. Please look at the excellent advice from @Test Screen Name in this thread.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply

and apologies if I could not quite follow you

which thread exactly ? 
could you please hyperlink that here?

I just followed the link you posted " @Test Screen Name" 

and could not quite find it

i would appreciate any help I can get! 
I do not quite understand why in a pdf editing software changing the text (if available on the computer and in the pdf fonts list) should be that "complex" in the first place ?!!

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download your font from internet and then install with creative cloud. 
See this: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/upload-your-fonts-to-creative-cloud.html#:~:text=(Select....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years later 😕  same issue 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find your font on: https://fonts.adobe.com/

Make sure you are logged in.

Toggle "activate all fonts", once you've found the font you need.

Close all of Adobe products.

Make sure you are logged into creative cloud.

Restrart your PDF then finally try to edit your PDF again.

This worked for me! Good luck.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure but what if your font (which you've installed locally) can't be found on Adobe Fonts? 

There's no reason that user-installed fonts should be inaccessible on an internationally released document creation and editing platform.  I think that's the gist of most of the complaints on this thread, and mine as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some fonts are not recognized, because the PDF creation process changed the font name. I'm not sure why this happens, but I had that a few times with very old fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if the font isn't on fonts.adobe.com, what then?

The whole theory of "You can edit the PDF in Acrobat DC!" is useless, if you don't have the font...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thorn, the post below this by John28, his reply to himself is what eventually worked for me.

Downloaded the font of a website that does fonts, stuck it in my Windows font file, Adobe found it and it could be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To edit a PDF and preserve the appearance you need to have the font locally on your machine. Editing a PDF is normally not recommended. Best is always to use the source document edit there and recreate a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To edit a PDF and preserve the appearance you need to have the font locally on your machine. Editing a PDF is normally not recommended. Best is always to use the source document edit there and recreate a PDF.

By @Abambo

I've been using Adobe software since 1994. I'm aware of best practices. I've also had moments in the past 30 years as a designer that editing the PDF itself is the easiest solution, when you don't have access to the source document. If you've always got full source access to everything you get called upon to edit - your life is certainly blessed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

July 2024 and this is still an issue, with no reply from anyone from the Adobe support team......

And the 2 mark solutions don't work or aren't an option.

I was expecting a lot more from Adobe specially for a paying product!

This is sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023, still having the exact same problem.

PDF uses the Noto Sans script, editing the pdf changes to Minion.

Went to Adobe Fonts. Yes, I ensured I was logged in. Downloaded the Noto Sans family of fonts. Activated them all.

Closed Adobe Acrobat Pro, then reopened the troublesome file. Went to Edit. Noto Sans not in the font list, defaulted to Minion again.

Closed entire computer and restarted. Reopened troublesome file. Guess what? Still no Noto Sans font when I go to edit.

Very disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found my own fix, no thanks to Adobe or it's font selection.

I went to Google Fonts and downloaded the Noto Sans family of fonts, then opened Windows fonts and manually added each of the fonts there. They now appear in all my Microsoft Office apps as well as Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works because the Noto font is a Google font. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this issue by going into the Creative Cloud app, and it turned out my font hadn't downloaded properly. I clicked download family within Creative Cloud and then I could use the font in Adobe Acrobat. Hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. This issue is extremely frustrating. I appreciate your suggestion; it was definitely worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the font a font from Adobe fonts? Load it onto your system. If not, is the font locally on your system? If not, you need to find the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the other comments and for future people looking for a solution. You will need to restart your Adobe product after installing it via the Creative Cloud App, otherwise, it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Creative Cloud APP

Click on Adobe Fonts, then Uploadad Fonts

Open C:\Windows\Fonts, then open the Arial family of fonts, in File Manager

Drag "Arial Regular" (Arial.ttf) , and/or whatever other fonts aren't working, to the Uploaded Fonts window (you may need to click Add More to get the window where you can drag the font file)

In Acrobat, Click Edit/Preferencs/Page Display and Uncheck "Use Local Fonts"

Close Acrobat, restart computer for good measure, it should work, at least it did for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines