Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help: Text duplicates in all form fields

Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When filling in the PDF form fields (of the PDF fillable form that I created), the text duplicates into every other field in the PDF, regardless of which box you type into. Help?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

This is how PDF forms behave if the fields names are the same, so you just need to change their names in Acrobat so they are all different.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

This can be done with a script or a stand-alone tool, but it has some limitations.

I've developed a set of (paid-for) tools that allow you to do it.

See: https://www.try67.com/tool/easily-rename-pdf-fields

If you don't care what the new field names are, and just want them to be unique, you can use this other (paid-for) tool I've created, which will automatically rename all duplicate fields so that they have unique names:

https://www.try67.com/tool/acrobat-rename-duplicate-fields-to-unique-fields

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I went back in to edit/prepare the form, and now I see what is meant by the "titles" and they were all the same. I'm trying to prepare a set of lab tables for my high school students, but there are 2 tables with 25 cells each, along with many other cells for longer answers. It's sounding like I either rename all the cells individually (even with just a number, which they won't see or I don't care if they see), or have them use a different program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you find a PDF viewer that allows you to enter different values into fields with the same name you should stay away from it, as it's very buggy and should not be trusted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you have 200-300 boxes on the form?  Is there an easier way to change all of the names rather than one at a time?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be done with a script or a stand-alone tool, but it has some limitations.

I've developed a set of (paid-for) tools that allow you to do it.

See: https://www.try67.com/tool/easily-rename-pdf-fields

If you don't care what the new field names are, and just want them to be unique, you can use this other (paid-for) tool I've created, which will automatically rename all duplicate fields so that they have unique names:

https://www.try67.com/tool/acrobat-rename-duplicate-fields-to-unique-fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be worth a few words about WHY the expectation is that we have unique field names. Forms were designed to be filled and submitted. When a form is submitted, each field sends its name and value. So, if fields have the same name it is impossible to know how the form is filled in. 

Similarly, forms can be filled automatically. This is done using a similar file listing field name + value. When loading the form, Acrobat MUST fill in all the fields with the same name at the same time, as it has no way to know which one you mean. This also is a useful way to repeat info, such as the client's name on each part of a form.

Sometimes today forms are made to only print, or to be sent (complete) for printing. (This was not even possible in older versions of the software). There is no special rule for this case, you still need to make each field name unique, even if there are thousands of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes sense, however why does Adobe create duplicate form boxes? Mine are all labelled differently - they show as Topics and Notes#0, Topics and Notes#1 etc in the field list. However, they are all duplicates - I have to go into the properties of the form field and change the names there. It would save a ton of problems to automatically create unique form field name properties (especially since I didn't catch this problem before creating 15 documents with dozens of form fields in each document). If, for some reason, someone wanted a duplicate form field that could be set up as a separate option.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How have you created the form fields?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see what caused the issue - I am duplicating forms (save as new) and then copying and pasting pages from those (under organize pages) to add more.

The problem is, why tie the text fields to one another since that would be a very rare circumstance where you need someone to enter the same information in a form (most form fields are unique). Since I am now aware of the problem I will be sure my original that I copy doesn't have the linked boxes. 

Adobe shows them as named differently in the field list using a #0, #1 ending - misleading since I assumed that was the unique name.  Going into the properties shows this not to be the case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spent hours manually renaming form fields across 30 pages. Thanks for nothing, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could have done it in under 10 seconds with my tool, linked to above...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody wants to pay extra for the absolute most basic feature that should already be in the program to begin with. Shill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the features of Acrobat when you create the form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines