• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Why is the layout changed (lines, pages) when converting a .docx-file into a .pdf-file?!?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

My Word document looks great: the layout is perfect.

Then I convert it into a pdf document—and EVERYTHING has changed! As if the page format were another one (which is not the case: they are both A4).

My Word document changes between single column layout and two column layout (for pictures and boxes) and sometimes works with text fields. When exporting to pdf, the line break changes, the page break changes, text fields and photos move ...! Horrible.

What can I do to keep the layout worked hard for in Word 1:1 in the pdf file?

I lost hours trying to create a pdf document looking more or less correctly.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

I understand that. My point was - and I will make it a question - if you use Word's SAVE AS PDF, do you see the same layout changes as when using SAVE AS ADOBE PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you convert it, exactly? What command did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat Pro DC, I chose "create" and then "pdf from file" and chose my Word file.

Is there another way I could do it?

Important point: I need active links even if they are "hidden" behind a word. If not, I could just print as pdf (I am a Mac user).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, that normally works well. One thing to try is to open the file in Word and then use the Create PDF button under the Acrobat ribbon. See if that produces better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well: the result is defenitly better if I work as you've described from Word. But still there are differencies in where a page ends or starts (see pages 3 and 4) – I find this incredible for a paid software.

The other problem I have: Working with a background coulur works well in "normal" text—but if I use it in a text field ("Textfeld" in German), I get a Zebra white stripes instead of a gray area.

I really thought Adobe could handle all this after 30 years of MS Word...

(I have found a turnaround: I have to chose a grey background for the whole text field instead of the "Formatvorlage" (style sheet?). But I would prefer not to have to do so.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what Word does. It's not a tool for precise page layout. It will often change line and page breaks, especially but not only if you change printer. You can check this out by doing Save as pDF directly (not Save As Adobe PDF). This is a built in Word function, and it will likely show the same issues (or slightly different ones). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The MAIN difference when doing so on Mac is: links "hidden" behind words will not be actif anymore in the pdf. This is EXACTLY why I was ready to pay for Adobe Pro DC... 'Cos the free Mac application is not able to keep up active links behind words. 😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many advantages to Adobe's converter. But it first uses Microsoft's converter. Hence, I suggested you look at the result of Save in Word (not Save as Adobe PDF). I would expect to see the same layout issues when Word saves PDF directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I lose the active links behind words... 😞 (see last upload)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that. My point was - and I will make it a question - if you use Word's SAVE AS PDF, do you see the same layout changes as when using SAVE AS ADOBE PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaahhh—now I got it!

Yes, the save as done in Word leads to the same distorted as the Aope Pro DC. Very weird indeed... So it is a Word's Problem.

But i found a version to keep the active links behind words. 🙂

Thank you so much for insting: this helped a lot!

Have a nice day—Myriam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for highlithing the difference between "save as" only and then selecting "PDF" from the file format dropdown option, compared to the "save as PDF" option.  I was having the same issue every time I used the "save as PDF" option.  When I use "save as" only, and then select "PDF" from the file format dropdown menu, the format is exactly as it appears in word.  NO distortions or changes in layout. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This just saved me an afternoon of headaches! Would like to understand why "Save as Adobe PDF" and "Save As>PDF" would work differently, but at least now I know to use the SAve as feature instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines