• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Highlight tool is not working in Acrobat Pro DC

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed the recent Adobe Pro DC updates. A simple yellow highlighting feature used over the years is now seemingly impossible. When clicking the highlighter, the text areas show myriad border lines and when I try to put the cursor in front of text I want to highlight, huge blocks of asymmetrical shapes are highlight in yellow instead of just the word or sentence I am wanting to highlight.

I am also finding other simple edit functions are not working properly.

Please advise.

Douglas Stewart

[Personal info removed by Mod: Email]

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Hello StewartWeb

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, Highlight tool is not working in Acrobat Pro DC, Is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat Pro DC(if any) from Help>Check for updates and reboot the machine after the installation of updates.

You can also repair the installation files of Acrobat Pro DC from Help>Repair installation(only for Windows), Reboot the machine after the repair.

If the issue persists, please reset the preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello StewartWeb

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, Highlight tool is not working in Acrobat Pro DC, Is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat Pro DC(if any) from Help>Check for updates and reboot the machine after the installation of updates.

You can also repair the installation files of Acrobat Pro DC from Help>Repair installation(only for Windows), Reboot the machine after the repair.

If the issue persists, please reset the preferences of Acrobat, to reset the preferences refer to How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

If the issue is specific to one PDF, please check the PDF properties once from File>Properties>Security and see commenting is allowed or not. If it's a secured PDF, you will not be able to add comments.

You may also try to disable the Enhanced security option once only for testing purpose but enable it back after checking the functionality. To disable the enhanced security option, refer to Enhanced security setting for PDFs, Adobe Acrobat

If the issue persists, please use Acrobat cleaner tool to remove the Acrobat Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs  Reboot the machine and install the Acrobat Pro DC from Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, 2017, XI, or X

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

[Edited response]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for some reason, i cant find the highlight tool. all i get is the inconvenient highlight text... this feature is useless for my field. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Highlight tool only works on text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have the same problem - - 9/3/22 -  My link in shared documents. https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:8bb7623a-38aa-4449-8687-cfefd2daa91a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Repair installation worked for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Utterly useless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

let us know how it goes...lmao

how about you let us know when you create a product that works!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe

I have the same problem as

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Douglas Stewart above.

I have been through 'check for updates' there are none;

'Repair installation' made no difference

I can't seem to find the Adobe file in AppData\Roaming\...no Adobe file so can't reset preferences

This is very frustrating as the highlighter tool to highlight text is such a simple and basic function for such and expensive software purchase and I have discovered that there is no-one at Adobe to speak to to resolve this. The only phone numbers listed for take you to third parties who could just be scam artists. Highly unsatisfactory and very poor customer service from such a big brand with such an expensive product.

Nevertheless, how can I get this defect in the product fixed without a complete overhaul of my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI! I had the same problem. when I clicked on the colour 'bucket' to change the colour the opacity slide at the bottom of the colour palette was set at 0%!!! When I moved the slide towards the 100% end the colour on the highlighted text appears!! SUGGESTION: When Acrobat DC is installed the default setting for opacity is set at 100% not 0%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BRILLIANT! This was the problem and one I would have never figured out! Thanks for your help - wish ADOBE could provide this sort of assistance....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, brilliant!!!  I couldn't figure out why no highlighting would show, but it turned out it was simply because opacity was set to 0%.  I moved it to 100% and hey presto, the highlighting appears!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! OMG!!! This has been bothering me for ages and Adobe support was ZERO help!
How can they possibly make the default setting to opacity = 0%!!! Crazy!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the Export tool sucks, too. I can't even Export a pdf into Word,
highlight the copy, and recreate a pdf. It's really maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been struggling with this for 6 months, through updates anr repairs with no help. Finding the hidden menu where the opacity setting was took some effort, but it fixed the problem. I would love to know what changed my opacity of the highlight tool, that's not something I ever recall doing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also seeing major issues, mainly crashing of Acrobat DC Standard on Windows 10 machines when using the highlight tool and also creating bookmarks.  We are running Acrobat DC (Classic track) Standard, version 2015.006.30418 (latest version/update as of June 13, 2018).

This issue has just started occurring in the last month or so.  Our temp work around is to do a repair on Acrobat DC and then reboot.  However the issue does appear to come back even for those users who we have repaired their Acrobat DC installs.  THIS IS NOT AN ISOLATED CASE. Basic analytics of this forum board should show that there is a def application bug/bad code or something in the Feb 2018 update that is causing this. 

however... we all know how Adobe support is.. lacking.. i will have to track down the exact issues and then find a fix and honestly, i won't share this w/Adobe at all.  I'll post this on my own personal blog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how would you fix this for a company w/over 500 workstations and acrobat dc installs? what is cause of this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did full reinstall and this did not solve the problem.

Commenting is allowed

When I do search function it seems that indeed it cannot find words, so it seems that this is an image pdf.

What are the solutions in this case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone in this forum received a remedy for this problem?    I have tried all the recommended fixes and nothing has worked.

Adobe,  are the programmers working on this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I recognized all the text, I didn't have any problems using the highlight tool.  Although, there are times that text cannot be recognized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone on this forum EVER received a response with an effective remedy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the highlighter to work - there is a pop up in the top menu, that if
you click that, it opens options for highlighters. I picked yellow, saved
it, went back to what I wanted to highlight and it consistently worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the highlighter to work - there is a pop up in the top menu, that if
you click that, it opens options for highlighters. I picked yellow, saved
it, went back to what I wanted to highlight and it consistently worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have had this frustrating issue also.  I searched for a solution today and found this forum.  Since the offered solutions did not seem to work for others, I did more testing on my own.  I have found that it really depends on the type of file you are using.  For instance, I often obtain files from another company's portal.  I have three options to save these files as PDFs on my computer:

1) Print - Selecting "Adobe PDF" as my printer choice.  This is the one that causes issues for me.  The highlighter tool will mark large, irregular sections of the page rather than the lines of text I want.  It appears Adobe thinks this is an image and not a document, the "Find" function also will not find words in this case (even after using the "recognize text" feature).

2) Print - Selecting "Save as PDF" as my printer choice.  This method, for whatever reason, makes the text recognizable and I am able to highlight without issues.  Find function also works.

3) Download the File which auto-saves as a pdf and opens as a Chrome link.  I close the web page, then open the file from Adobe and am able to highlight without issues as the text is recognized.  Find function also works.

From what I've found, printing to "Adobe PDF" seems to cause the problems I'm having.  Method #2 works the best in my case.

If you are scanning a document in, you'll want to make sure your scanner settings are set to text/document rather than image/photo.  If you are opening a PDF from an email or similar source, and not downloading or saving it there may be other settings to look at. 

Hopefully this continues to work for me and will work for others as I know it's rather irritating!

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines