• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the list of reasons provided when placing a digital signature?

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I place a digital signature on a document, I include a reason. There is a dropdown menu with a set of default reasons provided by Adobe ("I am the author of this document", "I have reviewed this document", etc) and the set of all the custom reasons I have written in all of my previous digital signatures. I would like to remove items from this list that are no longer useful. How do I modify or delete the custom reason codes in this dropdown menu?

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CyBri2000,

Apologies for the delayed response.

Please confirm the workflow you are following to help me understand the issue better.

Also please share a screenshot of the dropdown menu you are referring to.

Thanks,

Supriya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question. Here is screenshot:

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 11.24.02 AMa.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karengene,  CyBri2000,

There has now been a change in the design interface and so the option you are referring to is no longer available.

Also, please confirm if you are using certificate for signature.

Thanks,

Supriya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well how do we get that option back? Do we use an older version to be able to custom the reason? None of these reasons apply to me but I would like a reason to be present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At present, the only workaround is by modifying the registry, at least in Windows. I described it below on March 19, 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I saw it after I posted this question and it worked! Thank you I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are using the certificate for signature. The version used for signing is Adobe Acrobat X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat X is no longer supported, please try using Adobe Reader DC and see if you are getting the option you mentioned.

Thanks,

Supriya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it using Reader DC. When signing, I typed in my own reason and signed the document. I then opened a new document and signed it. The reason I created in the first document was still in the drop down list in the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supriya,

I just wanted to confirm that the behavior described by karengene matches the behavior I was describing in the original post. Note that the reasons are not there by default by can be enabled in the signature settings.

Thanks,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to close Acrobat Reader DC, then open regedit and navigate to: 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\Security\cPubSec\cReasons

If you are not used to editing the registry, you will have to find some beginners tutorial first, I'm afraid. Whatever you do, be VERY careful because whatever you do takes effect immediately, and there is no "undo"!!

Anyhow, once you know what you are doing, it's easy to edit, remove or add items there. If you remove the whole cReasons subkey, Acrobat Reader DC will create its default set of reasons in the current language (if you have the MUI version). They will stay there, even when you later change language, but you can edit them en have different reasons in different languages.

I hope this helps someone who finds this post in Google, looking for an answer just like I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Massive help, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!!

There should be a way to select "BEST REPSONSE"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise this conversation started in 2016 and the situation was the same in 2020 i.e. reasons already showing in the drop down list cannot be easily deleted regardeless of whether they were invented by Adobe or created by the user. I'm no expert, but it has to be super simple and please, Adobe, do something to allow users to delete "reasons" that don't make any sense anymore. Signatures with a digital certificate are now much more popular and the list of reasons can easily get too long to be useful. I think I'm right to believe Adobe wants people to continue to use Adobe's digital signature feature. So, why complicate the user's life? To convince them to use another tool? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines