Initial View Settings for Page Layout Not Working

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Initial View settings for Page layout found in Document Properties by hitting Command + D with an open .pdf do not change the Initial View of the document. You can't do anything except Single Page which is the default.

I undertand there are options within preferences but selecting or de-selecting those have no effect whatsoever.  This is a new behaviour and I have never had any issues whatsoever with this property before with any documents. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, the initial view settings are not working from the document properties.

- Are you the creator/Author of the PDF file?

- What is the workflow/steps you did to create the PDF?

The initial view settings are defined by the author/creator of the PDF file. If you are trying to change the view settings of the PDF file you may also try the steps below:

- Open the PDF

- Go to View Tab > Page Display

- Select the options from the menu

Then go to Edit > Preferences > Documents > Select 'Restore last view settings when re-opening documents' > Click OK and check if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the creator.

Historically when we create .pdfs for catalogs or lookbooks we can Export to PDF and then have the option to change the "Initial View" of the .pdf to show any of the options presented using the Command + D  menu to change initial view.

That has no results whatsoever regardless of how the .pdf is saved. 

What you suggest above has worked, but I believe that only works for my personal viewing of the .pdf.  I need to save so that I can post, email or send the .pdf with different view options to other people.

The document was created with "Facing Pages" in the document set-up. It was exported from that.

It was also exported using the option in the Export menu for Two Page. And none of that worked.

I guess the quesion is, what is the point of having the "Initial View" setup window if it doesn't work.

BTW, I've used InDesign and Acrobat since they were launched originally and done hundreds of books. I've never had this issue before installing newest version of CC.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for explaining the issue in detail.

What are the steps you did to create the PDF?  Please share the original source file and the converted PDF file with us so that we can check it at our end, upload the file to the documet cloud https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/ generate the link and share that link with us for testing.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the "Initial View" menu only changes how YOU are VIEWING the PDF that you have open. But this does not change the way it is viewed next time or by someone else.

If you want to embed the way the document is VIEWED, use the PDF's "File" >>"Properties" menu. From the Document's Properties, you can select the "Initial View" and embed the desired view format into the file. This should hold the desired view for all users that open the document.

See attached image.

Mary Helen Shuff | Art Director & Senior Graphic Designer | 508-Compliancy Coordinator | Forms Coordinator | Printing Liaison

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that's a year late but I have the same isue as the OP, where the "Initial veiw" Setting from the Document's Properties (File" >>"Properties)" that used to work, does not anymore.

I used to export a PDF from Illustrator, open it in Acrobat and change the initial view from the window you show in the attached screenshot, and on any PC they opened it, it opend with the initial view that I had saved. Now, that has stopped working... I can only see "two page" or "two page with cover" etc, if I change the "view>Page Display", which only changes how I see the document and not how others will see it...

No solution yet...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Sorry to hear that. Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

Also, make sure you have the application updated to the recent version 22.1.20169, go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also, try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines