• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Menu bar and part of tool bar missing from top of screen.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu bar and top portion of the tool bar will not display on Acrobat DC. When I try to click in that area it activates whatever application is running behind the Acrobat window. The only way to close Acrobat is to close the window via the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen. The partial icons that are visible will function but I can't access any tools or menu items above that point.

I have tried to uninstall then reinstall the program and that did not help. I have also run a repair on the program which did not work either. This version is installed from Creative Cloud.  help please.

Acrobat DC Problem.jpg

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

I fixed this issue. buy uninstalling the Graphic driver in device manager & allowing it to reinstall (dont select delete Driver )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a work in progress, but as a further refinement to my answer above, it may additionally help (at least in the Nvidia control panel) to click on the button "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After extensive research on the issue, I have come to the conclusion that this is a widespread problem on MS Windows systems, that seems to affect people primarily with multi-monitor setups. There appears to be no permanent solution to this bug, at least until Microsoft deals with it. It has affected people for years.

The only solution, a temporary one, is to clear the graphics drivers. There are several ways of doing this, but the easiest is to press Control-Left Shift-Windows Key simultaneously, and then "B." This will cause the graphics driver to clear and re-set. It takes about a second. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up to my prior Reply, I think I have found the ultimately correct solution to this problem. While doing the Alt-Spacebar / Restore thing is a temporary fix, the problem will inevitably return unless you instruct the graphics driver to perform scaling on GPU rather than on Display. I made this switch, and immediately the disappearing menu problem was eliminated, and has not returned. In my case the graphics card is based on NVidia, so I went into the Nvidia Control Panel, selected Display / Adjust Desktop Size & Position, and then selected Perform Scaling on GPU. The process to accomplish this may be different on your computer, but GPU Scaling rather than Display scaling is what you want. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit defeat...none of what I tried to do ended up working. I still think the problem with missing or frozen menus in Adobe or Outlook is caused by my video control panel, but I don't know what settings to change to resolve the intermittent problem. It's very frustrating. I hope someone on this forum will eventually be able to figure out a solution. For now, I am resigned to hitting Alt-Spacebar / Restore each time this issue arises, and working off of a slightly smaller image on my monitor that I have to manually resize. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!! This solution worked great for me! I was going crazy! Thank you very much!!

Luca284148426tp1_0-1676434553862.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!

With AMD Graphic card, have to open AMD Software Adrenalin Edition => Games => Display => GPU scaling is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this fix. I've been searching communities for a fix to this issue, like forever it seems. My resolution has aways been to reset my computer...UGH! This works every time I run into this issue. You are my new Tech Guru crush. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"

hold ALT and then tap the spacebar. (ALT+SPACEBAR)

A Windows pop-up menu appears.

Select the first item 'Restore'."

Brilliant - thanks for that as it's resolved the same issue as I'd just got (I know this is 2 years later!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ALT + SPACEBAR worked for me, but the RESTORE button was grayed out. However, SIZE allowed me to resize and open the document to allow the menu bar to fit on the screen, and after saving the document, the next documents worked correctly.     Thanks for this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue at a client site today and resolved it by updating the USB Graphics software for the USB docking station.  User had a Lenovo Yoga connected to a Kensington SD3600 Dual video dock with two external monitors.  Upon disconnected from the docking station Adobe DC worked as expected, displaying the fine and menu bar.  When connected to the dockingstation with Adobe window on an external monitor the file and menu bars did not display and the windows icons for minimize, maximize and close were non responsive.  Right clicking in the "white space" where the file and menu bars should display produced the windows desktop menu, not the window application menu.  Updated to the latest DisplayPort driver to the latest version directly from the DisplayPort website and it resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So, yesterday was the first time I noticed this problem on both Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader. I was trying to veiw my daughter's school report and wanted to reduce it in size, but couldn't because the whole menu bar had disappeared.
Today I did a search and came across this thread. I think the solution for now is to simply reduce the size of the window (WIN+arrow -->) and then manually resize it so it fills the screen - it will take up the same amount of space the fully expanded window would look like, and then just it as normal. I don't have the patience to be uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting my PC, this is as good as it gets. If it is to do with a Windows update, then hopefully that will be corrected and if it is to do with the Adobe applications, then again, they will be updated, so things will sort themselves out soon enough.

Hope that helps

Junade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This very same problem just happened to me, beginning this afternoon and right after an automated Creative Cloud update happened, which I just happened to notice as a Windows notification.  Adobe, your developers need to fix this problem!  Junade's work-around with WIN+arrow works just fine, but others who don't find and scan this entire thread are going to be very frustrated, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was lucky to find this thread on about the 3rd or 4th try to find a solution.  I used C5FDB's solution even though the description wasn't exactly what I am seeing. My title bar isn't grayed out it is non-existent.  So I don't have to click around the middle of the window I just hit option-spacebar (mac with parallels) and the system menu pops up with restore at the top. That works.  This problem is on the Macbook Pro monitor not on the external monitor.  

It is amazing that it's now been at least 15 months.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated on 20-05-2021.

After research some workarounds, I found another solution that might be helped.
1. Run command prompt with admin privilege and type the following command:
chkdsk /f /r
It would ask you to restart your computer for fixing and repairing the system's error. The progress could be fast or slow depends on your computer hardware. Then your PC would be booted up into Window automatically.
2. Runs the command prompt with admin rights and type:
sfc /scannow.
Wait for it to be completed. And the problem was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever been so desperate to fix your computer problem that you would be willing to trust total strangers online? I do, and I am so glad that I came across your comment because none of the other solutions posted in this thread worked. But yours did. 

To all of you who are not sure about messing with the command prompt because the wrong command could wreck your world, I get it because I thought the same thing. But desperate times call for desperate measures. So take the leap with this great fix. Yao, whoever you are, you have saved my bacon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this issue. buy uninstalling the Graphic driver in device manager & allowing it to reinstall (dont select delete Driver )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This resolved for me.  Exact same issue on a Dell OptiPlex 7060 with Intel Graphics 630 (built-in chipset) with latest build of Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, happening on three (identical) Windows 10 21H1 systems.  Also occurs in Adobe Reader.  Removal of Intel Graphics 630 driver and reinstallation resolved.  I removed including "Delete drivers" and re-downloaded the latest fresh from Intel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I think it fixed mine as well... The crazy part is that it's been working fine for months after having an issue some time back and today it just randomly started again... 

Instructions:

Go to Device Manager (in control panel)

Under Display Adapaters, right click on the graphics card and click "Uninstall driver"

Do NOT check "Delete driver".

After that is completed click "Scan for hardware changes" and it should reinstall the graphics driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not have any "uninstall driver" option.  I had "update driver", "disable device" and "uninstall device".  I tried uninstall device.  I did get a pop-up with a checkbox to "delete driver", I did not check it.  When I did this one of my two monitors stopped working and it said I would need to restart. Restarted and the driver either reinstalled itself or refreshed (sorry this is beyond my tech literacy).  Doing this seems to have resolved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe this intermittent fault is really poor. I have a customer pdf that says in Windows file properties on the Security tab under Allow, Full Control not ticked, but in a file that I can see the menu, Full Control is ticked.

I only need to rotate, and put at full screen to copy and paste into a macro save of customer E-mail to docx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problematic pdf seems to open in a new Adobe App, even if I open in an existing App where the menu is visible for a different pdf. Your coders are useless Adobe, your software is useless, complacent monopoly position. No wonder my employer doesn't pay for your expensive Pro licenses any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problematic pdf:

"PDF Producer" in Adobe document properties is: TCPDF 6.2.12 (http://www.tcpdf.org)

PDF Version 1.7 (Acrobat 8.x)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printed the problematic pdf to CutePDF Writer, at 72dpi and I can see the menu when open this version. PDF Producer: GPL Ghostscript 8.15

PDF Version 1.4 (Acrobat 5.x)

So my issue is solved by Cute PDF Writer, not Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that if you hover your mouse at the bottom right corner of the window, you can resize the window. As soon as you resize it to the left, it gives you the menu bar back and you can click the full screen tab at the top right of the window... fixed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I discovered that if I make another monitor the main display and set it back, it will be fixed.

So you can:

-Right click on your desktop and go to display settings

-Then, select another monitor as your main display by checking the check mark.

You may try to open your PDF as before and I noticed I was able to see the menu.

-Finally I reverted back and unchecking the main display to the privious monitor.

All back to normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines