• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"One or more pages are in use and could not be deleted" - AGAIN.

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open a PDF file.
  2. Save it under a different name
  3. Try to delete a page

You'll get this error:

"One or more pages are in use and could not be deleted"

I've had this billions of times now and the only solution that works 100% of the time is closing and re-opening the file. This leads me to believe it's something with "locking" the file while saving, but not unlocking it after done saving.

GET THIS FIXED PLEASE because it's annoying LOADS and LOADS of people.

As evident by the 7000+ search results for the exact phrase "One or more pages are in use and could not be deleted".

And that's just the part of the userbase that actually reports the problem.

There are several topics about this issue, some marked as "solved" erroneously.

Note, I'm a paying customer, use Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/Fireworks and Bridge during my daily work, and have had this issue for months and months across several different computers (two different workplaces, and at home) and have ran into this time and again, when all I want to do is cut a PDF into several smaller PDFs.

Closing and re-opening your program because you're unable to fix this issue is NOT ACCEPTABLE. It's THE WORST kind of user experience, as this issue is the ONLY reason I use Acrobat at all, and it can't even do that.

Cheers,

- Dirk

Ps.: Sorry, I'm very frustrated running into this time and again, and then having to wade through thick mud (your site is a UX nightmare) to report this issue, which has been report oodles of times on this board before.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

For me - using Acrobat Pro X on Windows 7 - this problem went away when I updated Acrobat Pro to the latest release (Help > Check for Updates).

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 118 Replies 118
Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I give up on Acrobat X. I do everything in Acrobat 9! The sad thing is that they haven't fix AX, and now they want me to pay for an Acrobat 11! What a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like the second the frustrations of this user. Maybe I'm naively optimistic about this, but I'm still hoping that this long-outstanding problem could be effectively addressed in the near future

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it’s still happening, eight years later. 🤯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really is and it's so unfortunate. I have noticed that if you place the PDF on the Desktop, open it in Acrobat and try deleting the page it will most likely work. I find that sometimes when deleting pages from PDF that is sitting in DropBox won't work. Such an odd bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo! That actually worked for me. Thank you! 🙏🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gary, this worked for me also. I was using Acrobat Pro DC as a free trial, needless to say I won't be taking them up on their offer long term! Never had any bother with Nitro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in MaOSxx... placing the PDF in the desktop is perfect BUT if you ha Dropbox it must be unlinked.
Dropbox is the culprit here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will give that a try. Right now I do have files on my desktop being backed up using Dropbox. I will turn that off and see if it helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Crazy. 

Fix it ADOBE!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you! That worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! This worked for me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afters years—YEARS—and countless projects encountering this anomaly, I gotta say this "move [the file] to desktop" solution just worked (on one of the Mac OS desktops at least). Brilliant! Thank you for sharing. I hope this "fix" wasn't just luck today, though. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it was luck. Error happened again 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to keep moving the files around. Moving to the Desktop worked and then failed. Then I moved it back to downloads and it worked again. Not sure what is going on. Perhaps when you make changes the MacOS file managers new feature for cloud managed files is creating a flag messing up Acrobat. Did you ever solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Hope you are doing well.

What is the version of the OS and the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 24.02.20687 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://adobe.ly/4a1vCw7

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in MAC and try using the application there and check.

Let us know how it goes.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should certainly realize by now that OS and Acrobat versions are beside the point, as this issue has been going on for years. It deserves Adobe's attention and a fix, especially given what users pay for a license. We're not talking about an app that was programmed by a 30-year-old living in his mom's basement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Please go through the correct answers marked in the similar discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/acrobat-dc-error-can-t-delete-page-error-is-quot-... and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal - Why is this not being fixed in the code? It seems like it has generated at least two highly viewed threads. A Google search got me here. It does have 141.9K views on it and the other link has 25.2K. Seems like a problem. Can you help us better understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there are several possible explanations:
- Adobe is not aware of the problem since nobody at Adobe reads the messages
- the problem is hidden in a very old part of the code and nobody at Adobe want to dive in it.
- as many other big companies, Adobe considers that old bugs are no longer bugs but features and refuses to allocate manpower to correct them.
- correcting bugs is not rewarding and won't allow engineers to get a raise and/or to move up in the hierarchy..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the guesses but I am hoping Amal's title of "Adobe Employee" gives him some lattitude to represent their position directly. Amal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well.

Would you mind sharing the details as listed below so we can get it checked with the engineering team:

1. What is the version of the OS and the Acrobat Pro application you are using? To check the version goto Help > About Acrobat.

2. What is the workflow/steps you are doing? A small video recording of the same would be very helpful.

3. Please collect the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html and Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html and share them via any cloud storage of your choice. Create a link and share that link with us for further investigation.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, no. Not only am I not going to bother, but I'm a bit perturbed you asked . . . treating this as though it were something new. Adobe needs to rip through Acrobat in general to get rid of the need for Rosetta anyway, and that might end up fixing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to yours and Alain's comments, it has seemed for years that Adobe is more concerned with making headlines with cool new, fancy bells-and-whistles than it is with making sure its baseline products work properly and supporting the user base that got them the size they are today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'll have to do better than that my friend. You're not going to solve it this way. No one in software development dept can look at the algorithms related to the message about 150k views have garnered since 2012? Is there a log file that you can point me to that I could send to you? Or perhaps I can turn a feature on to start logging for the future? If you don't have a log file feature perhaps the software team can add a log file feature so we can see the stack and better help your team. I imagine there is a fun little exception being hidden by that message we keep seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines