• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: This Document could not be saved. A number is out of range.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be NICE if it said what field is wrong.

Also, if having to turn off optimization is a fix, it is really a KLUDGE!

The problem should not occur period, and if it is an issue that can't be fixed, it should automatically turn it off or provide the option to turn it off.   This "work around" is not a fix.   Adobe should be actually fixing it.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try printing to pdf. Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks and it seems your suggestion will work to carry the metadata, as it seems to have worked when I do print to PDF but... We are attempting to save the electronic version of the book (the print version is already at the publisher, thus our deadline...) and using the Print-to-PDF path removes all the links, URLs, etc.; basically flattening the contents so that there's not active links upon which to click (i.e. page number in the contents section does nothing), be they internal or otherwise.

I do appreciate the thought, for sure!!
Cheers,
C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add yet more to this issue:

I just signed on to my CC subscription with my Macbook Pro running OSX Catalina (10.15.7) and updating the PDF file's metadata only using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (2020) and attempting to save it from that machine ALSO throws the same "A number is out of range" error.

All installed Adobe applications are up to date on both computers.

Whatever this is, it seems duplicated across platforms - at least when using my CC products/subscription.

I've gone about as far as I can and provided as much data as I can at this point. PLEASE SOMEONE LOOK INTO/FIX THIS ISSUE. At this point it is holding up an official book release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other update... The original author is ALSO getting this error ("A number is out of range") on the Mac on which the document was orginally created... So yeah - This is BROKEN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a known problem. FIX IT!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a Mac I suggest you to use Preview instead of Adobe. This seemed to solve the issue for me and I was able to save the highlights, texts and modifications I made to the PDF. When I opened the edited file back on Adobe, it seemed to work without any issues. I know it's not a real solution, but at least that will help you to edit and save anything important you need. But if you are stuck with many modifications that you already did on Adobe, then you are pretty much screwed because there doesn't seem to be a solution anywhere on this forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this issue.  I exported to Power Point and was able to print.  The formatting stayed intact for the most part and was workable for my project.  This solution does not leave perfect formatting so this problem still needs a real solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a ridiculous error.

I scanned in a document on my Mac. I spent an hour filling it out. And I've spent the last hour trying to get it out -- print, export, save as, whatever -- in futility. 

Initially, I tried File/Print. Got the "a number is out of range" error. File/Save works equally as unwell. 

Print icon. The "all" radio button is selected. The preview image tells me I'm looking at "Page 1 of 2." But.... "The document could not be printed. There were no pages selected to print." Well, except for that "all" button that's apparently purely cosmetic.

Export. Can't do it. More errors. I can, however, export to Word. But that only appears to export the annotations I've added to the document. The original scanned document is nowhere to be found.

At this point, I'm better off buying a capable PDF editor and starting over. This is absurd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to export to individual images(TIF) then recombined in Acrobat...totally unnecessary waste of time and exprimentation , and for what Adobe charges in subscription fees, they should have had enough help to fix this bug a year ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get a document electronically signed by 5 people. The 2nd person to sign now gets this error. During a worldwide pandemic is the worst time to be having issues with pdfs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem, and have tried save, save as and print to PDF and print to a paper documen.  The "a number is out of range" error occurs each time.  Agree with all criticism here on the thread.  This is a PDF document from a client that I must sign and complete before sending on to another party for processing.

I believe they are using a MAC to complete the application form before sending it on to me.  I am using a PC with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Acrobat Pro DC latest version.  I have found problems in the past with documents generated on a MAC and viewed or modified on  PC.  So much for the portability advantage...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally able to export to multiple TIFF files and then combine into a new PDF and saved.  I first tried all other exports (including postrscript recommended by another user) save as and printing to a PDF and to a paper document for scanning, with an error each time.  We should not have to do this with a defect that has been known for over a year...at least someone else may save time by doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me was instead of trying to save the document after I made the changes, I just printed the document as an adobe document and then saved that printed document as the revised version.  The changes I made were printed in the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "save as" docx file, then print to PDF is the only thing that would work for me too. Annoying as hell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which when there are a TON of graphics just doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I ended up print/saving to my PC with PDF reDirect. No issues with that 3rd software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, PDF created on a PC, edited on a MAC (latest os etc), can't save...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having this issue as well.  However it is after OCRing and Bates labeling a file in Nitro Pro, if it is opened in Adobe Reader it will say there are pages out of range and there will be blank pages throughout.  However the blank pages are still Bates labeled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and we are on Windows 10 using Adobe Reader 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here we are, there is a blatant bug hanging around Acrobat; symptoms are this stupid message no one @Adobe understands.  It seems to occur when we have cross-platforms savings. What is out of range here? Adobe, please? At my office, a big school, several administrative documents must be signed in Acrobat and some of them get this error and the whole process is completely broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's go Adobe.... I am also hving this problem.  I'm on Windows on my work pc (large company) and only have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Someone sent me a COMPLETED form from a mac and I can't save it.  She doesn't know how to send it to me in any other way.  It says number out of range.  The fix shows to do post-script but there is no post-script option.  HOW can I save this document?????? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find out that if you upload your PDF on  https://pdfresizer.com/optimize and click on « Optimize PDF », then you get a normal PDF you can save. It changes the name of the file.

Alternative : export as postscript, then open with Adobe Acrobat Distiller —> Clean PDF again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for this. This has worked after a good hour of trying everyone else's methods!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in 2022. Obviously Adobe does nothing to fix their problems. I have filled out the same govt form 5 times now....aint doing it anymore. I just need it to fu*king save the thing so I can move on with my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue on Mac ios system.  using Adobe on a trial basis.  Will not be purchasing as this issue seems to be lingering for years.  Assuming there is a different pdf reader/editor specifically for the Mac ios system available which is much easier to use.  I have always like adobe, but this is rediculous when you have to pay for use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines