Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SERIOUS ADOBE ACROBAT PROFESSIONAL 8 ERROR

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2007 Jun 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using (or TRYING to use!) Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.
But every time it loads up I receive the following pop-up message:

"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please re-install the application and try again."

I click OK, and then another message appears:
"Acrobat.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x05bf1243" referenced memory at "0x12284e88". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program"

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but the error comes back!
What can I do?? Can ANYONE help?!!
TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 398 Replies 398
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2007 Nov 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

My Acrobat 8.1.1 Standard recently began doing a disappearing act every time I accessed it. I just spent several long, frustrating hours over the last two days conversing with the Adobe tech dept and we ended up exploring many, many different solutions, some of them a little more risky than I felt comfortable with, but NOTHING worked. I just tried your solution (deleting the tsf.dats file) and it FINALLY allowed me to reactivate my software! We were in the middle of a project when this happened, so thanks very much for the heads up! Perhaps this solution could be cc'd to the tech support folks?

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah sorry bout that. was just angry at spending a whole day all up trying to fix a brand new product. that pisses me off. so was a little heated by that point.

plus i'm a mac user at home so windows machines generally make me angry anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just recently having the same problem, acrobat 8.1 (swedish) on Vista (CS3 Installation), not starting "A serious error has been detected....".

I applied the 'Licensing-Service Patch' stated above with no resolution.

I'm interested to test any other patch...

/Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

We recently had a rollout of Acrobat 8 Std to 84 users (all on XP, Acrobat 6 Std), we started getting the "Serious error message" soon after (our first experience of it) , this was restricted to 9 systems, the others appear to be OK.

Investigation showed that on all 9 systems Reader 8 had been removed.

Tried re-installing Reader 8.1, but still got the same error.

Un-installed both Reader and Acrobat and re-installed Reader 8.1 first, then Acrobat 8 (re-booting in between)with Reader as default.

Since then we do not get the error on any PDF files or the internet.

Do not know if the licensing issues above will cause it to re-appear (in 30 days??).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Moran,

Regarding your solution for XP users, you never said anything about the purpose of the backup of the file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adobe_00080000_tsf.data. Where are we supposed to put the backup? What is the purpose of the backup?

Shouldn't these instructions be included in a knowledgebase article?

One final question: Do you recommend uninstalling version 7.0.9 before installing version 8?

Thanks for your participation in this forum.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Where are we supposed to put the backup?

You put backups where they are safe. Anywhere.

>What is the purpose of the backup?

Backups are done in case you need to undo something. For example if
instructions say "delete this file" and you find you need it again,
things are bad. So instructions say to backup the file first.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XP Users need to use the steps that have already been posted here, but may be hard to find.

1. . Backup the following file, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adobe_00080000_tsf.data.
2. Delete the file from the location above, but not the back up.
3. Reboot the cpu
4. Launch Acrobat and see if it requires you to activate again.
5. If it does, activate Acrobat again.

Other causes
MS LiveOne Care has been known to cause conflicts with Activation, along with other firewall software. Be sure to allow FNPLicensingService.exe

Vista Users
On October 2nd, Kevin Cheng posted a solution to the original problem after he and others were able to resolve it:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff et al.:  Thxs 4 your assistance. Record of most recent challenge below - fwiw. It may assist someone in the future.

Facts: Auto updater downloaded/installed (at my selection) Acrobat 8 update (don't recall the update identifier) on 30.Aug. 2011. Restarted, as instructed. 'Running XP SP2 (with all necessary (i.e., MS recommended) updates, and Acrobat 8 Pro (and manually installing Vs 8.2 and 8.3 in succession following initial couple of power down/reboot cycles). As I was travelling and did not have direct access to original application content (although I do retain serial nos. electronically just for such circumstances...), deinstallation/reinstallation was not an immediate option.

Issue: Upon restart, a "Serious Error" - "the instruction at 0x055c1213 referenced at 0x03dbebf4 could not be written" occurred and persisted through several power down/reboot cycles, including those following manual Vs 8.2 and 8.3 updates).

Resolution:

Following three chain of posts, 'undertook the following:

First (although I was not running Vista...),

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750 - from a 2.October (2007??) post from Kevin Cheng, I believe:

Instructions (cut-n-paste from above URL)

After downloading a ".zip" file, use the operating system or a utility such as WinZip or PKZIP to access the file's contents.

1. Download the attachment.
2. Unzip/uncompress the file to a folder on the system.
3. Make sure Acrobat 8 is not running. If the system has any Adobe Creative Suite® 3 applications installed, make sure they are not running.
4. Click the Vista Start button, enter "taskmgr" in the Start Search field and press Enter.
5. Click on the Processes tab, then click the button "Show processes from all users".
6. If the FNPLicensingservice process is running, click on it, then click the "End Process" button and confirm that the process should stopped.
7. Exit Task Manager.
8. Right-click the InstAS.exe file and select "Run as administrator." The Command prompt window should appear and display "Trying to install anchor service."
9. Upon completion, reboot the system and launch Acrobat.

Power down/reboot/reinitiate Acrobat didn't resolve the issue:

Second, from Jeff's 13.Nov. 2007 post, as an XP user, I undertook the following:

XP Users...

1. Backup the following file, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adobe_00080000_tsf.data.
2. Delete the file from the location above, but not the back up.
3. Reboot the cpu
4. Launch Acrobat and see if it requires you to activate again.

Power down/reboot/reinitiate Acrobat didn't resolve the issue:

Third, from ynaranjo@leetem.com 's Jan. 2011 post, I undertook:

..."I called tech support and they actually fixed it! This is what you do...

1. Cut and paste the "pcd.db" file resident in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD into a sub-directory/folder for recovery/retention.

2. Cut and past the "adobe_00080000_tsf.data" file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet (same operation as Jeff's No. 1, above) into the same sub-directory/folder as the pcd.db file (NOTE: after I had undertaken Jeff's step above, this no longer existed, as I had moved this to another folder).

Power down/reboot/reinitiate Acrobat didn't resolve the issue, and actually, it completely shut down access to other CS3 applications (PShop/IDesign, etc.). Ultimately, I had to restore the pcb.db file to its original location (...\Adobe PCD, from ynaranjo@leetem.com 's No. 1, above) and proceed through auto-prompted authorization process (from PShop application), which addressed CS3 access generally, but did NOT resolve the original Acrobat "Serious Error" issue.

Finally - AND THIS IS THE SECOND IMPORTANT STEP UNDER MY CIRCUMSTANCES:

1. Initiated Acrobat application, and before it blew up with the "Serious Error", I quickly selected "Repair Acrobat Installation" drop-down off "Help" menu. Windows/Acrobat immediately set about collecting data, configuring, etc., and then prompted for a restart.

2. I declined restart prompt (at which time Acrobat then blew up with same error), manually powered down and rebooted.

Upon reinitiating Acrobat, violà, problem resolved sans deinstall/reinstall.

'Can't guarantee outcome, but under similar circumstances/conditions, I believe Jeff's steps (don't 4get to retain the original ...tsf.data file - 'allows 4 "undoing" if whatever one does next creates other issues...), coupled with a "Repair Acrobat Installation" will address the issue, the first and third alternatives, above having no effect on a successful outcome. I include the latter two here only in the essence of full disclosure.

'Hope this helps those, who in the future experience similar challenges, to resolve similar issues. And, 'very much appreciate those who meaningfully contributed.

As an aside, in all, I spent a couple hours in debugging/resolution (not including this post). I appreciate that many of those posting had far more frustrating circumstances. Yet, might I suggest in the future that we all take frustrations (beyond substantive content) to another discussion forum, leaving meaningful material in the appropriate thread, which ultimately will streamline problem resolution for everyone - we all benefit.

And, hopefully, such compartmentalization of the corresponding issues will engage the appropriate Adobe audience/resources to avoid such issues in the future.

Thanks again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. never had AA shutoff problem

2. installed new firewall

3. AA shutoff problem started

4. deleted Flexnet from /program folder

5. deleted (regedit) Flexnet from registry 'folder'

6. rebooted

7. restarted AA

8. firewall asked to 'approve' Flexnet

9. approved (reluctantly)

10. no more problem with AA shutoff

Am sure only works in certain PC cases, and may have been posted previously (havent had time to read all of this thread), but (happily) worked in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about on terminal servers? I have a volume license CD and key that is supposed to work on WTS?

I have been very patient Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried several times to download A Reader. Everything goes ok til it tries to install. I then get a message that it can't proceed because the old version 8.1.1 cannot be removed - but, as far as I can tell, the old software has gone! Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony. Two things:

A. You're in the Acrobat forum not the Reader forum.

2. You're in a thread that doesn't even resemble your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2007 Nov 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a professional useage, but since I do a trememdous am't.
of medical research which requires the Flash player I must upgrade the
adobe reader 5 (installed when we purchased our MOST expensive computer) I have had the same problem you have been or had and cannot find any way of solving it. Even the solutions tech. could not solve this problem for me. Lorri F. Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2007 Nov 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2007 Nov 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the adobe guys should just get rid of the fuckin licensing shit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2007 Nov 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still considered an open issue with Adobe? I'm on Vista Home Premium with the CS3 Master Collection installed. I have tried the Licensing Service Patch many times but it has not helped. The process works just as the instructions explain, but I still get the error. I've tried the "Repair Acrobat installation" option from Acrobat, but nothing. Are there any other options coming? I have tried to use the installer to remove and reinstall Acrobat, but it doesn't work. It took me 8 hours to the original Master Suite installed because the current installer throws so many errors on Vista and sometimes doesn't even launch at all, so I'm hesitant to try and reinstall the whole thing again to get Acrobat working. Just wanted to check in a make sure this thread is still running. I'm good at reading pdf files in 5 seconds now before the error comes up, but it will be great to get this fixed. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2007 Nov 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm aware/concerned, the problem has not been addressed fully. I still can't get my Acrobat working on XP despite trying everything suggested by other contributors and Adobe.

Adobe should release a patch removing the licensing software added in 8.1 until they can work out all the various forms of the issue ... it seems we've been guinea pigs on this untested software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2007 Nov 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with this technology, actually, any technology that you license from another company, is that you (Adobe) only gets the bits of code to make it work in theory. They never get access to the proprietary underpinnings, which makes it more difficult to test. Realize that not every user with Acrobat 8 is experiencing this issue (I'm not), so not only is this frustrating for users, it's frustrating for Adobe as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2007 Nov 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem (Case 172958983), I have tried all of the Adobe posted 'fixes' including the recent Jeff Moran...Delete the .tsf data file and re-launch and see if it asks to re-activate!! Since it never activated in the first place this is not a fix.

I also note that many people have been able to determine within the 10 second window that help/activation shows both Activate and Deactivate greyed out. I cannot trace in this forum or any other any mention by one of the Adobe reps what might be casing this aspect of the fault in the product..is this common?

Also I have determined that the FNPLicensing Service stalls after an attempt to launch the app. Prior to first launch the service can be stopped, however, after a launch (and subsequent freeze/crash) the service cannot be stopped, indicating a service failure. not a lot of discussion on this aspect of the issue in the forum.

I have XP on a corporate Laptop, I have tried a total uninstall, running the CS3 clean script(which removes acrobat 8.0) at level 1,2 and the undocumented 3 and 4 multiple times to try to get a clean re-installation, all to no avail. I have tried all the other fixes, nothing works!!

This problem can be traced back to various posts as long ago as February, when are Adobe going to issue a fix for XP users?

As well as the retail version of Acrobat 8, I have a legitimate licence for the Volume version, we can't lay our hands on the original media, anyone know where I can get the media or a download? I understand the Volume version does not need Activation, and hence does not suffer, can anyone confimr this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2007 Nov 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I also note that many people have been able to determine within the 10 second window that help/activation shows both Activate and Deactivate greyed out.

This is expected behavior. It takes a bit of time for the service to start up. When it does, they should no longer be greyed out. At least that's the way it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2007 Nov 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never get the chance to see whether they change, the application stops responding long before. I read on one post that it can take up to 2 minutes for Acrobat to establish a connection in order to activate...not good if it crashes in 15 seconds!!

I have now tried a few of the suggestions on Kb401043, which is realted to this issue.

I have created a local admin account, re-installed Acrobat 8 - no change - crashes after 15 seconds.

I have ensured that all non microsoft services are disabled and startup items disabled, repaired installation - no change, crashes after 15 seconds.

I have used MSconfig to confirm that Full control is on the flexnet directory - it was

I have used the CMD prompt to try solution 8 and ensure the FLEXnet directory has proper permissions - no change.

I can't get Acrobat 8 to work in XP and have now exhausted all posts for fixes, apart from a clean re-build, but can't see how this will help when I tried the new local admin account.

Any ideas anyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blue 2000, I am a Vista user and was one of the early people with problems in this forum. My problem was fixed with direct assistance from Adobe engineers, and that work led to the recent patch. However, in the midst of my several month issue with Acrobat 8/8.1, I tried installing it on an XP machine, and it worked fine for a couple of days, then had the same issue as described above. I tried all of the fixes posted on the www (Adobe and elsewhere, even calling Dell and Microsoft for assistance) over a period of weeks, to no avail. I tried other PDF software, but it was pitiful by comparison. Since the XP machine's data was not as dear to me as the Vista machine's, I did do a clean re-build of XP, fully updated, and then Acrobat, fully updated, and it did work consistently until I uninstalled/deactivated in order to put Acrobat back on my Vista machine... a drastic measure, to be sure, but one that worked.

For what it is worth, though I never fully understood what caused the problem, but on both machines (Vista and XP), the issue with Acrobat arose shortly after windows updates. I do recall the engineer stating that the issue had something to do with "virtualization," but I am unsure whether that issue would arise with similar results in both (Vista and XP) environments and his comment was with regard to Vista.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Install acrobat 7. <grin><br /><br />Ken Friedman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2007 Nov 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat 8.0 started working on my computer after I uninstalled Windows Mobile Device Center 6.0. Acrobat then activated. I installed the 8.1 update and Acrobat still works. There are some minor quirks, including that under the HELP --> ACTIVATION drop-down menu both "activate" and "deactivate" are greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read most of the posts in this thread RIGHT after I ordered Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional from Office Depot [so I'm assuming that I should have a valid serial number for verification purposes]. I've had the software since 11/19/07, but have hesitated installing because I wanted to be sure I did a full data backup before installing.

My desktop is XP Pro [completely rebuilt less than 3 months ago after a hard drive crash] and my laptop is Vista Ultimate. I want to first load on Vista Ultimate, but am not sure if I will encounter issues like many of the posters here have shared. I pretty much "get" that I will need to download the patch after installing to Vista.

Are there any other "recommendations" before I proceed? I really do NOT want to "rebuild" any computer since I've already had that pleasure not too long ago.

I'd like to install secondly to my XP Pro -- are those bugs worked out already?

Any suggestions on best practices are welcomed! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines