• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Signed PDF: how to "save a copy"?

Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See screengrabs, the Acrobat Pro message prompt me to "save a copy".

But I can only:

- "Save as", which copies the document identically, or

- "Save as other" which does not work either because it launches an infinite loop, see this topic: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/editing-a-signed-pdf-the-infinite-loop/td-p/10758213

How can I save a copy of a signed PDF???

Capture_049.png

Capture_050.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

I'm sorry, but the message is lying. Internally to Acrobat, the only difference between SaveAs and Save a Copy is which PDF is open after the save. SaveAs reopens the file you just saved. Save a Copy saves the file but leaves the original document open. There is no way you can edit a signed file. To remove your signature, right-click on the signature and take the drop-down option to delete it.

I've not seen this message except when someone clicks "view signed version" in a signature panel item.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does you create the PDF file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not create this document, I received it and signed it. But this document does not matter to me, it's just a test for screenshots.
The problem arises for all signed documents, whether I have created them or not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Save a Copy, do a SaveAs then open the copy you just saved. But I think you are really saying that you can't edit a signed file. That is true, since the signature tells the person viewing the file that the content has not changed. You can only edit before signing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said above, "Save as" does not change the document, it stays signed.

I don't want to edit a signed PDF, I want to edit a copy of a signed PDF.

Acrobat proposes to do it but does not give the right process, which I consider as not very serious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree with your statement "Acrobat proposes to do it". You can remove the signature if you are the signer. Otherwise, you must go back to the creator or original signer and get an unsigned copy of the PDF. That is "as designed".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree with your statement "Acrobat proposes to do it".  … That is "as designed".

Please, look at above screenshots. You can not disagree, because it's written on them.

You can remove the signature if you are the signer.

I'm the signer of this document.

And the "Remove all signature" menu item is always grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but the message is lying. Internally to Acrobat, the only difference between SaveAs and Save a Copy is which PDF is open after the save. SaveAs reopens the file you just saved. Save a Copy saves the file but leaves the original document open. There is no way you can edit a signed file. To remove your signature, right-click on the signature and take the drop-down option to delete it.

I've not seen this message except when someone clicks "view signed version" in a signature panel item. That opens an earlier version of the document (i.e. just after that signature was applied) for viewing in read-only mode. Since it's not a file in itself (it's a prefix of the open file), it needs to be saved as a stand-alone file before you can do anything with it. In this case, only SaveAs makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, SaveAs doesn't re-open anything. It makes its "Save As modifications" and saves the file to the new path and file name.  And there is a significant difference in how Acrobat handles them "internally".  Why don't you look it up if you are interested.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Historically, Save a copy was a menu item which appeared ONLY when dealing with signed files of certain types (especially Reader Enabled) and it did NOT function the same as SAVE AS. It did indeed, save an unsigned copy. I don't know why it does not appear for you; this may be a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but the message is lying.

Thank you.

That's what I was afraid to read and that's what I wanted to know: Does Acrobat keep its promise when it announces that it can save an editable copy of a signed PDF?
Looks like the answer is no.

So I will continue with the old method: save as with Apple Preview…

😉

Can someone advise me a software to do that with Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps an open document solution - choose Print - Adobe PDF format - then print. A new version of the document opens, fully accessible. cordially

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved me over 3 years later wth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, this worked for me. There is no "Save as copy" option as per the incorrectly error message.  I'm on latest versions of course. big thanks to @Gabelou for this workaround 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this thread is 7 months old, but perhaps someone will benefit.  I am using Win 10, Acrobat Pro XI.  I received a signed (and locked) document and wanted to add my initials to the document.  It is not necessary that I use the Fill and Sign tools to add my initials.  I wanted to preserve the existing signature and add an image of my initials.  Because the original document was locked for security purposes, I was not able to simply add a scanned image of my initials.  The workaround is to Combine Files into a Single PDF, add the signed (locked) document, then save it.  The result is a .pdf showing the exisiting signature, not locked, and I was able to now add my initials and make other edits.  I think this was what you were trying to do.  If not, my mistake, but I hope this helps should someone want to edit a signed and locked document.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you lifesaver (inkybme1)!! This feature is needed when documents have to be exchanged after being digitally signed (ie dated).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.  This saved me a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still works in August 2023.  Thank you for helping !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way you can do this is to go to File > Print(or press ctrl+p) and select Microsoft Print to pdf and click print. Select the file destination and click save. Open that file and boom!!! you can edit now. 

This is because in most cases, print permission is allowed. This will not work if print permission is restricted by the owner of the pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is the only way I could save the document without the "Signature Panel". The only downfall is that the new saved document has the word "COPY" all over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also the only way you can combine signed pdfs into another document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't save, but can print.  I print mine along with the audit report, then scan and save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you posting these weird and useless replies to old messages, Will? This is nothing whatever to do with the question, except you use the word "Save" in both. I think you're going to find yourself blocked if you don't explain... so please explain, we'd welcome more help, especially for current questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will'ssuggestions are totally valid to the question which was how to create a unsigned copy of a signed document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those reading this confusing discussion later - I replied to a useless (spammy?) reply by "Will". The reply by Will is gone. But our discussion of whether his reply is useful lives on. To make it more confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines