• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

submit button to change appearance based on fields

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my form I have a signature field and a date field with a submit button below it. My goal is when either both or one of these fields are empty the submit button is grey and read only. It becomes enabled only after both fields are entered. My script works beautifully with the signature field, but the date field doesn't seem to effect the button regardless.

Here is my script:

if ((this.getField("Employee_Signature").value.length === 0)&&(this.getField("Date").value.length === 0)){
this.getField("Submit").fillColor = ["RGB", 192/255, 192/255, 192/255];
this.getField("Submit").readonly = true;
} else {
this.getField("Submit").fillColor = ["RGB", 0/255, 170/255, 0/255];
this.getField("Submit").readonly = false;
}

I have this script running in both the signature field and the date field. Here is the location of the signature field script:

Signature validate button.jpg

and here is where I have it for the date field:

date validate script.jpg

 My script doesn't appear to have any errors, I've tested it, but is it missing something? Or am I putting the script in the wrong place?

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Thank you for all your help. It turns out the script was still missing something. I believe it was still only reading that as long as one of the two fields had a value greater than 0 then it was ok to enable the button, but both fields needed to be greater than zero. This final script is really rough, but it works exactly how I need it to. If someone can rewrite my script to do the same thing but not as messy please do!!!

if (!(this.getField("Employee_Signature").value.length == 0) && !(event.va

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latter, change this line:

this.getField("Date").value

To:

event.value

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my script for both the signature field and the date field still would be the same but like this instead?

if ((this.getField("Employee_Signature").value.length === 0)&&(event.value.length === 0)){
} else {
}

Am I putting the script in the correct locations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not what I said. The version with event.value should only be used under the text field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have the signature field as:

if ((this.getField("Employee_Signature").value.length === 0)&&(this.getField("Date").value.length === 0)){
} else {
}

and the date field as

if ((this.getField("Employee_Signature").value.length === 0)&&(event.value.length === 0)){
} else {
}

This doesn't work. The button is responding to both fields but not together. Both fields need to be filled for the submit button to enable. It's not behaving that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the actual file with us?

You can attach it to the original message using the tiny paperclip icon at the bottom when you edit it, or upload it to a file-sharing website (like Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe Cloud, etc.), generate a share link and then post it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WV6O2P-Kvw4Ilj4T_so7xj7P-ZryT6Kf/view?usp=sharing

Here is a modified file. It contains all the relevent fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get rid of the signature field and use the following as the custom calculation script of the Date field:

if (this.getField("Employee_Signature").value.length == 0 && event.value.length == 0){
} else {
}

If you see it's not "kicking in" add this line to the top of the script, and then remove it after it has executed:

app.alert(event.value.length);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the signature field altogether or just the script within the field?

I've tried removing the script within the field and following the script and app.alert(event.value.length); then removing it as per your suggestion. The submit button only responds to the date field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the script from the signature field. Use the one I provided as the calculation script of the date field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for all your help. It turns out the script was still missing something. I believe it was still only reading that as long as one of the two fields had a value greater than 0 then it was ok to enable the button, but both fields needed to be greater than zero. This final script is really rough, but it works exactly how I need it to. If someone can rewrite my script to do the same thing but not as messy please do!!!

if (!(this.getField("Employee_Signature").value.length == 0) && !(event.value.length == 0)){
} else {
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work. The button is responding to both fields but not together. Both fields need to be filled for the submit button to enable. It's not behaving that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines