• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text in text field moves when selected

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just spent an age creating a pdf with editable text fields.

Whenever I select a field with text in it, the text moves! It drops down by about 2 millimeters and then pops back into position when I click away from it. However, if I enter *new* text in the field it stays in the shifted position, resulting in a doc with text all out of line. Is this a setting I can turn off?

When I look at the bounding boxes of the text field, they haven't moved, it is only the text inside the boxes that is shifting.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

This is because there are some line returns at the end of the text.

Removing them solves the problem.

Capture_591.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described the text in the text box moves when selected.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help  >About Acrobat  and make sure you have the latest version installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

If it still doesn't work, please try to reset the Acrobat preferences to default as described in the help page: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which font are you using for the field? Was the form ever opened in something other than Adobe Acrobat/Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font is Calibri. Pretty standard. I have a mix of Calibri standard and Calibri Bold. To test the doc out I opened it in several other pdf readers. The text boxes do not move in those. However, if I open it in Acrobat first, any position shifts are carried over to other pdf viewers.

I will try to reset preferences as suggested by Amal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That font be the source of the problem. I'll do some checking, but in the mean time, as a test you might want to try other fonts to see if you get the same behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reseting the preferences made no difference. I might try a reinstall but I don't think that will fix the problem. Acrobat is clearly doing something wrong here. I tested in other pdf views and the text doesn't move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the exact same frustrating problem..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and am sorry to hear that the issue still exists. 

Please share the version of Acrobat and the OS you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.1.20169 installed. go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also a small video recording of the steps you are doing and the issue you are getting will be very helpful.

Pplease try to reset the Acrobat preferences to default as described in the help page: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Amal.

Thanks for your message - I have the latest version of Acrobat Pro DC, and my OS is Safari on Mac.

Please see the attached video - as you will see, when I click into the form fields to edit the text, the text within moves down. this causes the problem of not allowing me to add new lines to the bottom of these fields, even though there is room for extra text.

I created this PDF in Acrobat Pro DC, then shared it with a client. The client used Acrobat DC to add text to the fields, then re-shared with me. Could this issue have been caused by my client not using Pro?

Many thanks,

Jay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share (part of) this PDF form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, find the form attached. It looks to me as something strange is happening with the formatting of the fields when they are clicked into. I've checked the formatting but can't see why this text movement is happening. Or perhaps a setting is doing this. Worth noting that when I created this form (pre sending to the client) the fields worked fine as expected, text did not move around. Thanks, Jay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because there are some line returns at the end of the text.

Removing them solves the problem.

Capture_591.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that partly solves the issue. The text doesn't move back to its original position for me, even with the returns removed, the text stays further down in the affected fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. All my PDFs used to work fine and now they don't. Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did, through pure trial and error. In the text box properties, under Options, make sure the Allow Rich Text Formatting option is selected. Doing this seemed to slightly adjust the text within the fields, so the text always stays in the starting position. Also, as the other users have stated, make sure there are no blank returns at the end of the text box. Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know how to get to the text properties other than CTRL-E with this new update? I'm having the same issue,  but when I press CTRL-E it just changes the alignment of the text either center or left in one text box, and in the other, it changes a line to a different color that has no association with the text box and is in the background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share (part of) this PDF form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines