• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open large pdf files of 1.9 GB

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are unable to open large pdf files of size 1.9GB using the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (32-bit) application.

Is there any limitation on the file size that can be opened in Adobe Reader, if Yes what is the file size limitation.

Or if it is based on the pages, then what is the limitation on the number of pages that can be viewed from a pdf file using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (32-bit) application.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kiran

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that. As described, you are unable to open large pdf files of 1.9 GB

What happens when you try to open such PDF file? Do you get any error message? If yes, please share the screenshot of the same for a better understanding.

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 21.07.20099 installed. Go to help > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also, please go through the correct answer marked in a similar discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/is-there-a-pdf-size-limit/m-p/4387327#M12286 and see if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

On trying to open the pdf file, the error message is displayed as "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

We have tried downloading file multiple times from the Oracle HCM Fusion Application, but still the same error is displayed when trying to open the file.

Yes, we are on the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Version 2021.007.20099

Regards,

Kiran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no specific limitation on file size or page count. (I have tested with a million pages; goes slowly, but it goes). The message means what it says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe Acrobat Pro DC; Continuous release/version 2021.011.20039, would open a 5 GB pdf file 3 weeks ago. Now it won't open any of my files that are 1 GB and above. (These are files that it would open 3 weeks ago.)

What happened? And what do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks!

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Susan, what is the message that you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No message. Acrobat opens up the home page and that is it.

I downloaded Acrobat 2020 and it opens up all the large files just fine.

So I'm wondering if it is something in the January 2022 updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Susan

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Are you on a Mac or Windows machine? Please try to repair the installation form the help menu (Win Only) and reboot the computer once and check if that helps.

If  the file is stored on a shared network/drive, please download it to your computer locally and then try again and check.

Also try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... 

You may also try to create a new test user profile with a full admin right in Windows or enable the root account in MAC and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

I'm on a Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck. Reset preferences, no luck. The app is on my HD. I have no idea how to enable the root account in MAC, or what that means.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue,

We are sorry to hear that. Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs. If the PDF file is stored on a shared network/drive, please download it to your computer ocally and then try again. Also to know how to enable the root account in MAC please check the help page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. 

My 3GB files used to open and now do not anymore. No error message, just shows the existing open files.

Please advise

Evan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem resolved when I quit Adobe 2022 and re-installed Adobe 2020. I psent hours on Adobe chat trying to solve this with no result. I dont understand how an update could create these problems and that Adobe do not know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Evan. They have to know. It's ridiculous. I do a lot of work for a few large publishers and they are all using the 2020 version because of the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Susan2286964590ii  and @Evan2386517594at 

We are sorry to hear that.

Would you mind sharing the version of the OS and Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat

Please share a small video recording of the issue and the sample PDF file so that we can check it at our end.

Also, collect the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  , procmon logs (Win only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html and share the files with us using the document cloud link https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html for further investigation.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has this issue been resolved yet? I am running acrobat pro dc version 2021.007.20099 on a 2022 Mac Studio computer and I cannot open 2+ GB files. No error message Double click the document it launches acrobat pro but nothing else happens. I then go under file open, find the file and click open and nothing happens. It's not just this file but any large pdf that I have. These files were created by us and used to open fine and could be even be edited in acrobat 2020. Any updates to the situation would be great. This has been going on for quite awhile now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines