• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC Won't Launch

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed Acrobat Reader DC and it won't launch.  I'm logged on as Administrator, I click on the icon to launch to program, it asks if I want to allow it to make changes to my computer, I say yes and -- nothing!

What do I need to do to make this work?  A large number of my files are pdf and I need it to work!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Hi everyone.

FYI, i had this same issue. After going through this articale and performing the below 2 steps it worked:

1. changing the registry entry as mentioned by shaktikeshri:

At the following registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\Privileged]

create dword bEnableProtectedModeAppContainer and make it value 0

==> Finally, it opened Adobe Acrobat DC (latest ersion as of 3rd Jun 2022)

2. Disabled the Protected mode as mentioned by Amal.:

turn off the protected mode. Go to Edi

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

2. step worked for me. i could not start adobe from tcup (total commander) in administrator mode. but after unchecking that enhanced security two ticks.... it works, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi namuwood,

Could you please try restarting the computer, launch Reader again and see if application starts.

If it doesn't, try closing process related to Reader in task manager and launch Reader again.

Also, try to right click on a pdf file>select Open with>select Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Please confirm the version of Reader installed on the machine?

Which Operating System is installed on the machine? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. I tried all of your suggestions and my Adobe Acrobat Reader DC application still will not open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi amandas18482035,

Assuming you have Windows OS installed on the computer, try repairing Reader and see if that helps.

Go to Start>Control Panel>select Adobe Acrobat Reader DC>right-click>Change.

Click the radio button "Repair installation ........" if it isn't already>click Next.

Once the Repair is complete, reboot the machine and try launching Reader again.

Which Operating System is installed on the machine?

Keep us posted with the results.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If repair does not work try to uninstall and reinstall the Acrobat Reader DC

Uninstall:

1,  Press and hold window key+Rkey > type appwiz.cpl > uninstall the Acrobat Reader DC

OR

1. Close Acrobat/Reader and all open web browser windows.
  2. Click the Start button at the bottom-left of your screen.
  3. Go to Control Panel or Settings then Control Panel.
  4. Click on Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7).
  5. Click on Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

2.  Again open run command Win+R> type %temp% > delete all the files there.

**Then try to reinstall the Acrobat Reader DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi namuwood/amandas18482035,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please create the following registry and verify:

At the following registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\Privileged]

create dword bEnableProtectedModeAppContainer and make it value 0

Please relaunch your Reader and verify if its able to launch now.

Confirm to me once you experiment this out.

This is a security preference, so ideally it should be enabled to protect Reader from exploits and vulnerabilities.

If your are able to launch Reader after disabling the registry value, I would like to get to the root cause of this issue after enabling the registry back . It could be due to some configuration in your system or some antivirus software conflicting.

Thanks,

Shakti K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shakti

Adding that dword set to 0 worked! Only thing, after a few hours, Reader quit again. I found that the dword had been reset to 1. I reset to 0=works again. I had tried every other hint, suggestion, but nothing worked but the dword--for a while. It's easier to reset that than it is to reboot all the time.

Thank you for the tip.

Dan P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

We are sorry for the trouble and the delay in response. If the issue still persists, would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC you are using? To check the version of the application please use the link (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html) and make sure you have the latest version 20.006.20042 installed. 

If it still doesn't work, please try to repair the installation (For Windows). Go to Help > Repair Installation. 

For testing purposes, you may also try to turn off the protected mode. Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (Mac) > Preferences > Enhanced Security >  turn off the protected mode and uncheck the enhanced security > Click OK and reboot the application and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues with Adobe Acrobat Reader. I tried uninstalling, repairing, etc. When i try to open it, it says : Windows cannot finde Adobe. I am using Windows 10, and have AVG security. Could my security be interfering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SEDenton

We are sorry to hear that. You may try turning off the security application for testing and see if that is the one causing the issue.

Note: Please turn on the security after testing.

If it still doesn't work, please try to create a new test user profile on your computer with full admin rights or enable the root account on Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012) and try using the application there and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I m supporting an issues on Adobe acrobat DC  

The user has installed Creative cloud and Adobe DC is a part of it User wants to merge documents and also user wants to set up Adobe Acrobat DC as the main application to launch PDF files

I have the paid version of Creative cloud 

Acrobat DC was made the default application for PDF files and when we launched the PDF files the option of merging or combining PDF applications is not showing up. Signed out and signed in back into the creative cloud and Adobe Dc is not being a part of this -- why so  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, similar thing is happening to me and only in the last few weeks.  I can click to open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and it looks like it is going to open.. then just doesn't.  No error message or crash.. it just doesn't open.  I tried opening as an administrator and it opens, tells me there is some issue and cannot open in protected mode.. would I like to open in unprotected mode. I say yes.. then asks if I always want to open in unprotected mode, I say yes.. and it opens.  Next time I try to use it.. exact same thing happens.

I am a photoshop, lightroom etc. user and have no issuers with my other adobe products but this is rather annoying.

I use windows 10, it has worked fine up until a few weeks ago.  I pay for AVG and have tried to open adobe with AVG on and AVG disabled ... no change.

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mpatterson

We are sorry for the trouble and the experience.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs that you open in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? Please try to open a different PDF file and check.

Are you on a private network or company network?

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

A new version 20.009.20063 is now available for Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC. Please try to update the application to the new version go to Help > Check for Updates and see if that helps.

You may also try to repair the installation (For Windows Only) Go to Help > Repair Installation

If it still doesn't work

Please create a new test user profile in windows with full admin rights and try using the application there and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, same here. Tried to uninstall, reinstall.
Acrobat doesn't launch, and when i click on a pdf it says windows doesn't find the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry for the trouble.

Please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012) and try installing the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and tried everything suggested so far except the registry key, I dont know how to do that. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having trouble running Acrobat rdeader. I have unistalled twicer, I keep getting the same message ....cannot find Acrd32.exe. try again. Unable to find the file on my computer. I wonder if the latest windows update is conflicting, or whether it is missing from yourlatest download.  Help please, I have no knowledge to the internal workings of my computer but use pdf files regularly.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to keep you waiting. Please try the steps below and see if that works for you.

1.Close the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

2. Hold down Windows key and press R on your keyboard, this will bring up Run dialogue box.

3. Type regedit in the run dialogue box and hit Enter

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, delete the key Acrd32.exe

5. Relaunch the application and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I've done the regedit thing as suggested above and still no joy in launching Acrobat Reader. This is the second time I've had this problem - the first time was a couple of weeks ago and i eventually solved it by deleting the program and downloading and installing the latest version. It worked fine for the next couple of weeks and was working up till yesterday. Now the same thing has happened again. As I am using the free version, and use it frequently, I am seriously considering purchasing it, but don't want to outlay any cash if it behaves like this. I will delete and try to download and install the latest version - not the way one wants to update a program (if that is indeed the problem) but the only way to do it if i can't even open the thing.

Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

After reading this page, I uninstalled and reinstalled but that didn't work. Not having confidence to get into the workings of my computer, I uninstalled then left the machine overnight switcvhed off. Next day a ran a clean up program (AVG in this case) and downloaded the latest version. This worked and (touch wood) is still working. Hope this helps

Stewart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The app worked well for a few years, on multiple computers, but recently will not open on ONE of 3 computers. I have tried ALL the suggested fixes with no success. Some of the suggested fixes were to "open a different PDF file" but the app will not open ANY PDF file and will not even open from the Windows Start Menu WITHOUT a PDF file.

You suggest trying to "RElaunch", but it will not open, period, at all, so there is no "RE".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, rebooted the computer multiple times, installed multiple Windows Updates over several months, edited the Registry as suggested. Still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to know what FINALLY worked?

I installed an alternative program, Foxit free version, which I had also used many years earlier.

Suddenly Adobe Acrobat Reader DC opened up, all excited to "Welcome"me, and pretended there had never been a problem.

Anyone who needs a PDF reader and doesn't have time to solve a problem with Adobe, I can recommend the Foxit Free Reader, https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/. It has many of the same features as Adobe, has been around many years with regular updates, and is favourably reviewed on several reliable "tech" websites. There is an optional free trial of a paid version as well, just take what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me.  Instead of this, it works only when I uncheck  Enable Enhanced Security from Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) . It doen't sound good but for me it's the only way to start the Reader DC after I reinstalled different versions, I change the compatibility with Win8/7 and  also I changed with regedit but without effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem being discussed, but the Windows solutions are of no help to me. Can someone tell me what to do to get DC to launch again on my MAC. Thanks

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines